Main Menu

Microtonal metal

Started by mutantcolors, March 01, 2014, 10:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Jake

That's interesting to me, but in relatively small doses. I imagine that if there are more bands doing that, then they would probably sound pretty similar.

My cat, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with it whatsoever.
poop.

RacerX

Interesting. It clearly peeved most of my cats, too.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

fallen

I see some future metal style going the other way with sitar-like 9 string guitars in open tunings, half fretless with frets only at the 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 12th positions. So anything you play is in some kind of phrygian mode of the harmonic minor scale.

The cool thing about sitars is that you can move the frets around to enable playing different scales. So maybe the sitarjent guitar has all the fret slots cut and some kind of set screw arrangement to let you reposition frets in whatever scale your band prefers.

The other cool thing about sitars is that it's easy to bend notes in the whole step gaps in the neck. On the sitarjent you have a bunch of fretless space between 1 - 4 and 8 - 11 to slide chords and get into microtones etc.

Am I going to go pull a bunch of frets out of one of my guitars? No. :)

jibberish

there are a few semi-tonal keyboards out there, like by casio and Yamaha

here is a PSR-A2000 synth expansion sound pack demo. of course by a stellar demonstrator as per usual Yamaha style.
real hard not to want one of these. wow, the possibilities....

agent of change

That is quite a song title.

I wish he would growl microtonally.  :D  So many times I hear interesting heavy music that is ruined by plodding cookie monster vocals. The screeches were a bit more interesting but still just the same basic "note."

Cool music though. Thanks for sharing.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Jake

Wait. Wait.

Is that THE sludgelord posting?

Wait.
poop.

jibberish

if you want more sl3k posting, just link a video of a mellow jazz sax player who was playing too loud and knew it and was focusing on not losing his reed at the "reed gate" threshold and ended up compromising his performance being timid resulting in a snoozefest performance. at that point I will comment. the ball will commence rolling.

ok, now if plan A doesn't work, this is guaranteed lightning in a can right here:

"tip for you sl3k: listen to more jazz, and btw, learn to play a reed before you talk about a reed player that is having issues"

whew, that's a double-barreled hot one I just cooked up there. careful with it. heh

eoin_not_ian

I love the keyboard demo. Blew my mind.

themusketking

it's...well...interesting-ish.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

mutantcolors

I still wonder if it's a special instrument, or just tuned like intentional garbage. I saw a solo performance by a guy from Spokane that was based on microtones, and all his equipment was home invented/built.

eoin_not_ian

Much like the Schoenberg's 12 tone serialism stuff, my brain is intrigued by the concept and my ears struggle with the execution of the concept.  Still, interesting and kinda cool in small doses.

Discö Rice

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 01, 2014, 10:23:11 AM
My fucking ears. And yet, I find it awesome.

http://jutegyte.bandcamp.com/album/vast-chains
Pretty good until the vocals kicked in (He doesn't sound scary - he sounds like someone trying to sound like someone he heard that sounded scary once. He also somehow sounds like he's smiling.). Also the drum machine is a bummer. I dig the riffage though.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 10, 2014, 11:42:40 AM
I still wonder if it's a special instrument, or just tuned like intentional garbage. I saw a solo performance by a guy from Spokane that was based on microtones, and all his equipment was home invented/built.

I like the idea of purposely out-of-tune metal, but this guy has a microtonal guitar. Link says:

QuoteJute Gyte uses guitars retro­fitted to play 24-tone equal-tempered scales—meaning he's got twice as many notes in an octave as an ordinary guitarist.

So he has twice as many frets. Do a Google Image search on microtonal guitars, there are some freaky ones with squiggly frets, extra frets in some positions (but not others) and more normal ones with standard frets near the nut, but extra frets up high.

I just listened to the tracks for the first time now, it's cool!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

I like playing fretless basses for this reason. it gives you level playing fields with instruments that aren't bound by frets..

jibberish

so is the logical conclusion to this thread that we ALL score a used cello offa craigslist???

i'm all in if alla y'all are too

edit: I was thinking about back in school, symphonic band, where they let all those true geeks you never really saw that were taking violin lessons play.   we were in all the bands(brass).  young violin students , when trying to play as a "section", they were singing:

"We are the gods of micro tone" "we are the gods of micro tone"

band director was singing:

"they are the gods of micro tone"

we were squirting slide oil on the hawt French horny chicks in the row in front of us while he was sorting out the violins AGAIN