advice on effects loop/pedalboard schtuff?

Started by Beta Cloud, April 19, 2014, 02:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

sorry i'm such a troll lately; family/job/shit has me busy as all get up.
so i need some advice pedal lovers...
back story-
i recently purchased a pedalboard and some pedals, (haven't used floor effects live in like 15yrs but now have a need for it live).
what i got is a pedaltrain nano and volto power supply, (awesome), and some mooer time based effects, (verb, delay, flange), as well as a mooer clean boost and a TC polytune mini.
got all the stuff yesterday and put it on the board with the crappy velcro enclosed, (again i could use some advice on better velcro too, feels shabby).

the order- guitar, TC polytune mini, mooer boost, flanger, delay, and verb, going into an orange th30. the amp is at the space, so i have a week until i can finally try it... THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

QUESTION ONE: better velcro options? anyone used 'industrial strength' velcro, godlyke power grip? thoughts?
QUESTION TWO, (actually a multiple query): I want to keep cables minimal,(some shows may require me flying and using club amps), so i want to run the whole board with two cables into the loop and one cable into the front of the amp for my guit. simple.
given that; will my polytune track the tuning ok between the preamp and power amp? will my boost push volume between the preamp and the power amp?

any and all advice is sincerely appreciated!
stay fuzzy-
carl
why does it hurt when i pee?

Danny G

I've never used an effects loop. But that's partially because I've never used amps that had them.

Guitar > board > amp

Try them both and see what sounds/works better for the amp. Carrying around 3 cables instead of two isn't the end of the world. Just make sure you have at least two spares, as they will go bad eventually, and usually 30 seconds before the first song ;)

That, and yes. Industrial strength Velcro if the included adhesive doesn't seem up to par.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Danny G on April 19, 2014, 07:09:49 AM
I've never used an effects loop. But that's partially because I've never used amps that had them.

Guitar > board > amp

Try them both and see what sounds/works better for the amp. Carrying around 3 cables instead of two isn't the end of the world. Just make sure you have at least two spares, as they will go bad eventually, and usually 30 seconds before the first song ;)

That, and yes. Industrial strength Velcro if the included adhesive doesn't seem up to par.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

it would be like 5 cables as opposed to 3, yep, i'm anal. good looks on the velcro, it's what all the other guys on the gear boards are saying too. i'll let ya know what i come up with. thanks-

Lumpy

My local True Value hardware store has industrial strength velcro by the foot. Home Depot has pre-cut velcro pieces in a package, not as cheap.

Velcro seems to stick better if you let it set up overnight (before sticking pedals to the board). IMO.

I like the Mooer Reecho, some of the other ones not as much.

(You don't put the delay after the reverb? Interesting.)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

fallen

Pete Thorn, is that his name, has a box on one of his boards that has a bunch of plugs on it. If he takes one output cord from the box it's all his pedals in front of the amp. If he plugs extra cords into the effects loop a switching jack sends his drive pedals direct to the output and the delay and reverb are in the loop.

I don't know what the curcuit looks like but it gives him both options quickly without having to rewire anything.

fallen

And I use the stock PedalTrain loop with Velcro brand sticky back hook stuck to the pedals. It works great on metal and good on the rubber on the bottom of Boss pedals.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Lumpy on April 20, 2014, 06:17:30 AM
My local True Value hardware store has industrial strength velcro by the foot. Home Depot has pre-cut velcro pieces in a package, not as cheap.

Velcro seems to stick better if you let it set up overnight (before sticking pedals to the board). IMO.

I like the Mooer Reecho, some of the other ones not as much.

(You don't put the delay after the reverb? Interesting.)

i like verb last for stonerish stuff; the echoes are in a hall kinda' thing.
for some real fun, i'll go verbless and put some drive after the delay, or just put the delay right into the front of the amp for a daniel ash bauhaus solo sound. fun.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: fallen on April 20, 2014, 07:32:48 PM
Pete Thorn, is that his name, has a box on one of his boards that has a bunch of plugs on it. If he takes one output cord from the box it's all his pedals in front of the amp. If he plugs extra cords into the effects loop a switching jack sends his drive pedals direct to the output and the delay and reverb are in the loop.

I don't know what the curcuit looks like but it gives him both options quickly without having to rewire anything.

NICE!

johnny problem

I would do:
Flange/delay/reverb into effects loop.
Guitar/tuner/boost into amp Input.

But that's basically 4 cables.  I only suggest this because modulation type effects work better in the effects loop than boosts/drives.  Also, you kind of want to plug into a buffer pedal (tuner) if you're running something like 30 feet of cable.

Cursed71

I like the weird artifacts that occur from delay and reverb straight into the input, but that's just me.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Cursed71 on April 21, 2014, 07:41:09 PM
I like the weird artifacts that occur from delay and reverb straight into the input, but that's just me.

i fully concur with the artifact idea and with the right guitar can do it all day. but playing live to others, don't want to torture them too much.
my fave examples are dead kennedys 'holiday in cambodia', bauhaus's 'bela lugosi's dead', slayer's 'live undead'.
love that sound.