Who Carries a Multi Tool and what is it?

Started by spookstrickland, May 02, 2014, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justJon

Quote from: RacerX on May 08, 2014, 04:49:18 PM
Seriously, the Planetwaves has an actual string-cutting tool, which likely cuts strings better than a general purpose multi-tool's snips. It also has a peg winding tool, which is almost definitely better that using the needle nose on a general purpose multitool. It also has a bridge pin remover specifically designed for that purpose.

To my sensibilities, general purpose multitools are for when you're stuck without the right tools.

ymmfv.
I completely understand about the right tool and all, but the way I grew up, and later in the service, I came to be of the opinion that if I can't do it with a pair of vice-grips ( or more recently a multitool ) and duct tape, it probably can't be done!
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

db3jed

Leatherman Wave.
I've had numerous Leatherman models through the years and this is the one that hits the sweet spot of functionality vs size.
Like Danny G I've got numerous el cheapo multies in various instrument cases and gig bags.
I've got a couple of well stocked tool boxes but oddly enough they always seem to be somewhere else when I need them so the Wave get used a lot.

Metal and Beer

Whoa, a db3jed sighting ! Long time man....

Re: String excess. Take a coin, bend the strang 90 degrees along the edge (that's what she said, etc.) and pull rapidly. The excess will coil into a circular ball, the harder you pull the tighter the ball (also what she said, and he said toooooo)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

db3jed

Yo M&B, sorry to be so scarce!
Things have been hopping around here the last few years.
I play LR on a pretty regular up in LR these days with my classic rock gig.
I still ck on the SR peeps almost daily, just rarely find the time to post.
Still hate I missed out on your Explorer!

Great tip!
I've watched the wife curl ribbons like that with scissors but never thought to apply the concept to strings.