Bass-drum beaters...what kind do you recommend/like?

Started by Duke Duke, July 03, 2014, 10:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Duke

I love you, sir.

justJon

All-time favorite, 'cause I play a HUGE (32") bass drum, was the Puresound Speedball, extra-length, felt. Sadly, no longer in production. The close runner-up for me is the Tama Iron Cobra felt. I've tried various rubber, and wooden beaters, and they're all too "clicky" for me. Felt gives me the nice, round "boom" I'm looking for.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Danny G

Very interested as well, tho I only dabble in drums and don't play often, but I'd still like to learn as much as I can.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

I love to talk about my wood kick beater.  It's got some cool history.  Used to belong to Janet Weiss back in her Jr. High (actual band name) days in the beginning of Sleater Kinney.  She's a killer drummer and cute to boot.  Love that thing.

Janet

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I used wood for years but now use the iron cobra felt beaters, as well.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Bro. Righteous

24" and up...woodbeater on Iron Cobra, double-ply E-Mad skin w/silencer circumference and please,
please brothers no fucking holes on the outter skin, anything past a 24" righteous kick drum
get a single-film external skin...no mic hole horseshit, it will sound like Thor's own hammer,
btw new recording to come so I can back-up this diatribe  :D ;) ;D

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

mutantcolors

Used to use the candy apple red Gibraltar wood beaters, got a stock felt ball on the pedal I just bought, it works fine.

Discö Rice

If only they made 28" 2 ply EMADs... My bass drum is only 14" deep, so I haven't really seen a need for a mic hole. My reso head is old, though, and I've been thinking about replacing it with a fiberskyn. Might be a little TOO natural sounding though. 

/indecisive nebbishness
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

justJon

I have fiberskyn resos on everything except snare. Love 'em!
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Duke Duke

I have a 26 inch Gretsch. I just bought a Remo Emperor Coated for the resonant head and a Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear for the batter. I ended up buying two DW two-way beaters with a Remo falam double pad. I've always used the plastic end of the two-way beaters....I like that slap-"boom"ie punch that it gives. Anyways, hope this combo of new goodies will improve my kick. Cheers.
I love you, sir.