Main Menu

Super easy analog delay mod!

Started by Baltar, August 06, 2014, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

Back in '99 I got my first analog delay, the big box EHX Memory Man Deluxe. I ended up bolting a broken Snarling Dogs wah to the side and slaving over the delay pot so I could control the speed with my foot. Now I have the Memory Boy DLX and I figured out a way to add a feedback swell footswitch. It's really easy and all you need is a momentary footswitch SPST. The LED is optional. Kevin from Bluesong and now The Meatmen gave me this idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR0nh--991I&list=UUrqTyLbcKv0kwt3eEuJASQQ&index=1#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4PNphzn8p4&index=2&list=UUrqTyLbcKv0kwt3eEuJASQQ

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't post the vids right to the thread.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Baltar

I haven't posted in a while. I had to get my grove back for modding. My band broke up and had some issues with a Phase 90 I ruined.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Baltar

Quote from: Jor el on August 06, 2014, 07:44:19 PM

Baltar!

The mighty & slightly Canadian Jor-el! Hope all has been well, I'm in Rochester every weekend. Might have a party/jam soon with Keith from Drag Pack.  This mod should work for any delay. I'd just check it first w/ a simple jumper wire from lug 2-lug 3.

eyeprod

I remember you posting that mod on the old board. I still have yet to do it, but it would be nice to have the option on my dmm.
CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

I thought the Deluxe Memory Boy already had a runaway feedback switch?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Baltar

Quote from: Lumpy on August 06, 2014, 08:27:58 PM
I thought the Deluxe Memory Boy already had a runaway feedback switch?

Well, sorta. The exp pedal can only be used for one pot at a time. So stock you can control the feedback if that pot is selected. But you can't make it run away and control the delay speed at the same time. This mod does that and will work much better with a momentary switch. My Moog delay had 3 separate exp pedal inputs, I only used 2 when I had it.

Baltar

Quote from: eyeprod on August 06, 2014, 08:04:47 PM
I remember you posting that mod on the old board. I still have yet to do it, but it would be nice to have the option on my dmm.

Both are pretty easy, and you can do both to the DMM too. I actually clipped the delay pot off my DMM and ran 3 jumper wires over to the wah. I didn't understand resistors at the time, so I just used the same pot instead of a new one. I had to JB weld the pot into the exp housing because it wasn't as big as the wah pot.

So once that's done, you just run a jumper from lug 2 of the pot to the first lug on a momentary. Run a jumper from the second lug of the switch back to lug 3 on the pot. That's it. If you want an LED, connect the neg leg to your AC ground and the posi leg to one of the lugs on the momentary switch (which ever one lights up the LED when you hold the switch down).

Baltar

Oh and if you use a Crybaby housing, you can just drop the momentary switch into the hole where the old on/off switch was on the toe. Also, you can run a jumper from the feedback LED to a string of LED's and mount them underneath the wah treadle so that they blink in time with the runaway oscillation. Think "auto-neon".