Tools every guitar player must have!

Started by spookstrickland, August 26, 2014, 05:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

I did a video of tools every guitar player should have at the bare minimum.

let me know what you think if I missed anything.

thanks

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RacerX

1) Throw out all those & use a Planetwaves guitar multi-tool.

2) A 9 volt battery is not a tool.

3) http://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=10744.0
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

Quote from: RacerX on August 26, 2014, 05:41:11 PM
1) Throw out all those & use a Planetwaves guitar multi-tool.

2) A 9 volt battery is not a tool.

3) http://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=10744.0

Thanks for watching.  Well I use my 9 volt as a tool some times to check speakers...anyway no guitar player should be with out a spare one.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Jake

poop.

jibberish

spook. thanks for thinking of us and putting in the effort.

I will personally apologize for Allan's usual behavior.

the only things I would comment on are:
1) if a 1/4" jack nut comes loose, a small crescent is 1000x better than that fucking needlenose on the gerber(who here has NOT pinched the fuck out of their fingers trying to use needle noses to tighten the jack nut)
2) I would state the needed sizes of phillips screwdrivers. you have what looks like a #2. the 2 smaller sizes are more useful
3) you have specific tools, multitools , a pocketknife and a swiss army knife. the swiss army knife is a collection of lame tools. that belongs in the glovebox. the better the tool, the better the chance of NOT fucking up your gear. it is super redundant and borderline garbage, so I would recommend to get rid of that army knife.

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on August 28, 2014, 01:18:30 AM
spook. thanks for thinking of us and putting in the effort.

I will personally apologize for Allan's usual behavior.

the only things I would comment on are:
1) if a 1/4" jack nut comes loose, a small crescent is 1000x better than that fucking needlenose on the gerber(who here has NOT pinched the fuck out of their fingers trying to use needle noses to tighten the jack nut)
2) I would state the needed sizes of phillips screwdrivers. you have what looks like a #2. the 2 smaller sizes are more useful
3) you have specific tools, multitools , a pocketknife and a swiss army knife. the swiss army knife is a collection of lame tools. that belongs in the glovebox. the better the tool, the better the chance of NOT fucking up your gear. it is super redundant and borderline garbage, so I would recommend to get rid of that army knife.

Right on about the screw driver, right after I shot the vid I had to open up a pedal and needed a much smaller phillips. Fortunately I was at home and had one in my tool box.    I'm going to be adding that and a small crescent to my kit now.

Thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

ok, I just replaced the dead sounding e string on my beater schecter.  I have a little plastic box that is nice for string packs. I added the side-cutter pliers and all the guitar allens and picks and the winder, spare single strings...ok that's all that's in here in this like recipe card file sized lookin' box.

this is what I need to change a string even on locking whammy rigs which are locked with allens. the tuner wont fit in that box otherwise that would be kept in there too.

then I got to thinking about the all inclusive toolbox that you have.   where would you keep spare strings and picks? 
you have the allens, the winder, and the dikes in there already.

logistics demands that in order to change a string, you must have your toolbox along. so would you keep spare strings in each guitar case/bag? and spare picks in each case/bag?
would you keep a second box for strings and picks?

would it make sense to put strings and picks with the tools that you will be using at string replacement time? or maybe there is a reason not to, idk

probably if I went this far, I would throw my little korg tuner and a spare short 1/4" cable in there too for tuning after restringing

jibberish

speaking of tools, has anyone seen the new trend in rolling garage toolboxes?
they are totally going dunwich on us and putting acrylic or glass fronts on the drawers and LED lights so you can actually see wtf is in the whole toolbox at a glance

FUH

KIN

A!!!

VOLVO)))

I keep my entire toolkit with me. Small mechanical, large electrical kit. Deep well sockets, quarter inch drive, every bit tip imaginable and a swappable ratcheting driver. My 18V Makita drill/driver and impact gun. I can do anything, anywhere...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Quote from: jibberish on August 30, 2014, 02:56:15 AM
speaking of tools, has anyone seen the new trend in rolling garage toolboxes?
they are totally going dunwich on us and putting acrylic or glass fronts on the drawers and LED lights so you can actually see wtf is in the whole toolbox at a glance

FUH

KIN

A!!!

Doesn't seem very secure.  Try breaking into my Matco Imperial rollaway. huh uh.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Wanna try me?

*revs angle grinder*
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

everdrone

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on August 30, 2014, 02:53:28 AM
ok, I just replaced the dead sounding e string on my beater schecter.  I have a little plastic box that is nice for string packs. I added the side-cutter pliers and all the guitar allens and picks and the winder, spare single strings...ok that's all that's in here in this like recipe card file sized lookin' box.

this is what I need to change a string even on locking whammy rigs which are locked with allens. the tuner wont fit in that box otherwise that would be kept in there too.

then I got to thinking about the all inclusive toolbox that you have.   where would you keep spare strings and picks? 
you have the allens, the winder, and the dikes in there already.

logistics demands that in order to change a string, you must have your toolbox along. so would you keep spare strings in each guitar case/bag? and spare picks in each case/bag?
would you keep a second box for strings and picks?

would it make sense to put strings and picks with the tools that you will be using at string replacement time? or maybe there is a reason not to, idk

probably if I went this far, I would throw my little korg tuner and a spare short 1/4" cable in there too for tuning after restringing

Good question, I should have addressed that.  What I do is I have this "fake leather" overnight/gym bag looking thing that is my gig back.  It has two big pockets on the front, that I keep my extra strings in.  It has a pocket on each end that I keep my tuner, picks and anything else that wont fit someplace else.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org