Main Menu

Chicago Guitar Builder

Started by Hemisaurus, March 04, 2011, 01:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Said I'd post this for my buddy Erik in Chicago.

Erik has an intersting history, worked for Steve Albini at Electrical, done a lot of live sound, and then got into building bondage furniture, so if you want a combined guitar / torture rack with an XLR out, he's probably your guy. Anyway he hasn't got much in the way of pics on his site yet but check it out anyways.

http://www.inductorguitars.com/

inductorguitars

Hey thanks Herbie!

I just posted part 4 of the telecaster refinishing project up.
http://www.inductorguitars.com/2011/03/telecaster-refinishing-part-4/

Yep I built bondage equipment for a Chicago dungeon a few years back, hrm mixing guitars and BDSM into one project has some interesting possibilities...

My site is still a work in progress. Leave a comment!

Thanks
Erik

RacerX

Quotehrm mixing guitars and BDSM into one project has some interesting possibilities...

It's been done.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/2250077603.html

Livin' The Life.

inductorguitars

Quote from: RacerX on March 07, 2011, 04:45:21 PM

It's been done.

;D

I was thinking something alittle more interactive. Violet wand + strings = FuN!

Baltar

Do you know Wil (Bill) Skibbe?  I grew up with him in SW Michigan.  His dad was VP of the Jr. High and my dad was the principal.  Cool shit BTW.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Baltar on March 09, 2011, 08:14:59 AM
Do you know Wil (Bill) Skibbe?  I grew up with him in SW Michigan.  His dad was VP of the Jr. High and my dad was the principal.  Cool shit BTW.

Me? No I don't think so.

Baltar

He was Shellac's soundman and has a studio in Michigan.  Makes his own limiters and pre-amps.

www.keyclubrecording.com/skibbe
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Baltar on March 09, 2011, 03:46:23 PM
He was Shellac's soundman and has a studio in Michigan.  Makes his own limiters and pre-amps.

www.keyclubrecording.com/skibbe

After my time. I interned at Steve's house back in '95. Back then it was Gary forgot his last name, whom I worked with at Lounge Ax. Other times it was Cory Rusk, owner of Touch and Go records. (At least here in Chicago) Shellac's amp heads weight a TON took two people to carry them into the basement.  While I was there Steve used Hardy preamps for alot of guitars and vocals.

I'm working on a prototype guitar ala Travis Bean that weighs less and stays in tune better. Probably won't show the build on my site but will show it off when it is done.

Jake

Cool stuff. Welcome aboard.

Keep us posted as to your 6 string (and other) creations. We lurvs that shit here.
poop.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Jake on March 09, 2011, 10:40:05 PM
Cool stuff. Welcome aboard.

Keep us posted as to your 6 string (and other) creations. We lurvs that shit here.

Thanks and will do. you can follow me on twitter @inductorguitars and facebook.

Part 4.5 was just posted. Just a quick post.

I've decided after the telecaster is done I'll post some pics of the Aluminum guitar build. Hell I need more content on my site.  ::)  The AL will be underneath wood so no visible metal. To make it simple I've decided not to have the headplate AL.

VOLVO)))

So, you can machine aluminum necks and whatnot? If that's the case, ive got a tele that would love an aluminim neck...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 11, 2011, 04:03:43 PM
So, you can machine aluminum necks and whatnot? If that's the case, ive got a tele that would love an aluminim neck...
Not yet...
I'm having it made, I don't want to invest in a milling machine if this doesn't work. Plus my idea is so simple I'm really suprised that it hasn't been done before. Maybe it has but in my research I haven't found anything like it.

Hint the AL is totally encased in wood. (and pickguard for a cheaper way to do it) There are lots of possibilites for different priced models. We shall see.

VOLVO)))

Who's milling your aluminum? Electrical?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: inductorguitars on March 11, 2011, 07:50:08 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on March 11, 2011, 04:03:43 PM
Not yet...
I'm having it made, I don't want to invest in a milling machine if this doesn't work. Plus my idea is so simple I'm really suprised that it hasn't been done before. Maybe it has but in my research I haven't found anything like it.

Hint the AL is totally encased in wood. (and pickguard for a cheaper way to do it) There are lots of possibilites for different priced models. We shall see.

i'm really interested in this . . . when can we learn more??

inductorguitars

I found a guy on craig's list to do it. I just want to go cheap as possible first. Almost $400 just for it.  :o

I need to order a bridge and make final measurements then order the milling. So it'll be a few weeks before I get anything up. One thing it is not going to look pretty.  ;D I glued up some scrap mahogany for the thru the body neck and some scrap birch for the wings. I haven't even decided what the body shape is yet, that will be soon. I'm thinking a sort of an offset telecaster ish body. One bridge P90 with a volume knob and a tone circuit that changes the resonant frequency of the pup.

VOLVO)))

So, are you going to get him to mill in the relief on the neck? How are you going to fret the aluminum? Are you going to stick a rosewood/maple/whatever board over it, then fret that? Are you going to use the fretwork to allow for the lack of relief if you didn't account for it? I never bullshit my prototypes, I go for the gold, and if I fuck it up, I have a magnificent looking failure. Current project: Floyded lapsteel with some sort of modified single string bending system. Sandwiching a solid hunk of ash between two hunks of walnut. Fretboard being made out of maple... etc. If I fuck it up, or it doesn't work how I envisioned... It goes on a wall somewhere! Learn from your mistakes, but don't half-ass anything, just in case it turns out perfect... It's only gonna turn out perfect once...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

The aluminum will be in a routed out "pocket" of the neck, on top of which will be a rosewood fretboard. If need be I can put carbon fiber rods in the neck. But not in the first prototype. I want to see how much relief there will be and use the finger board to make up for it. I might have to make another prototype so I don't want to get too fancy. Down and dirty, proof of concept.

VOLVO)))

What're ze pros and cons? What's your desired effect? This is interesting... CMON FUCKER, SPILL IT! :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 12, 2011, 07:53:13 PM
What're ze pros and cons? What's your desired effect? This is interesting... CMON FUCKER, SPILL IT! :D

LOL!  ;D

I want to make a easily assembled guitar for one. Great sustain, lots of twang, and not heavy. Bean's weigh a ton. I suspect I might also need a brass nut or a combo brass and bone. And I want people to order them. Oh and the guitar has to be well balanced weight wise.

All will be revealed, Patience.

mawso

Quote from: inductorguitars on March 07, 2011, 02:43:09 PM
hrm mixing guitars and BDSM into one project has some interesting possibilities...

try setting the intonation on a non-compensated 3 saddle tele

inductorguitars

Quote from: mawso on March 13, 2011, 07:56:40 AM
try setting the intonation on a non-compensated 3 saddle tele

Heh. :D

inductorguitars

He's a pic of a rejected Aluminum guitar design. It's not strong enough and the measurements are (way) off.
I'm working with a guy on the design, but waiting to order a bridge. GFS paypal system is not working for me atm. Probably going to get him to make a brass nut too. 

grimniggzy

Have you done any basses?

I'm not really into anything crazy, standard bolt on/passive (Fender-ish) stuff is good for me, I'd just like to be able to pick a color and some specs and not have to pay Fender.

inductorguitars

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 16, 2011, 12:30:59 PM

I'm not really into anything crazy, standard bolt on/passive (Fender-ish) stuff is good for me, I'd just like to be able to pick a color and some specs and not have to pay Fender.

Not yet, but I will be. My brother wants a Longhorn bass or a Thunderbird so I'll demo them with him first.
You hit the nail on the head why I'm building guitars. :)   Shoot me an email - so we can figure something out.

Erik

grimniggzy

Quote from: inductorguitars on March 16, 2011, 01:40:57 PM
Quote from: grimniggzy on March 16, 2011, 12:30:59 PM

Not yet, but I will be. My brother wants a Longhorn bass or a Thunderbird so I'll demo them with him first.
You hit the nail on the head why I'm building guitars. :)   Shoot me an email - so we can figure something out.

Erik

Will do. Thanks.