Maybe I should look for a label?

Started by Omlet, September 17, 2014, 06:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omlet

This year, my instrumental Black Metal project evolved into something even more raw and primitive - slow, doomy and reverb-driven soundscapes, with only slight Black Metal flavor. It's getting mostly positive reviews in the Internet and all music is available for free. And if people enjoy it, I thought that maybe I should look for a record label.

Unfortunately, I don't know shit about the record labels that may be interested in such music :(

Here is an example how it sounded like at the beginning of the project (I know that drum machine is terrible, I suck at drum programming):

And how it sounds like now:

Or even more raw:

I'm not entirely sure if it's good enough to be released by anyone (my playing, recording and mixing skills are second to none) but I think that search for the label will give me the answer :D

So, do you know any labels that might be interested in such stuff?

liquidsmoke

Are you into any signed modern bands/projects that sound kind of like this? If so those labels would be a good place to start.

Omlet

Nope, solo projects only :( I guess I suck at searching for people to play with :D

liquidsmoke

You work solo but I'm thinking about any labels that similar projects might be on. Your new stuff reminds me somewhat of '90s dark ambient/death industrial artists on Cold Meat Industry and related labels. I'm really out of it these days regarding that type of stuff though.

liquidsmoke

Dylan Thomas

Liquidsmoke is right on about where to look for labels.  Listen to bands that are influences, and see what labels they are signed to.  Also, just send a promo to everyone.  The worst that they can say is no.

Here's my real question to you though - why do you want a label? What do you hope to get out of a relationship/business partnership with a label that you couldn't do on your own?
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Omlet

Thanks for the tips :)

Dinger - promoting of my shit. It's quite difficult in eastern europe, where almost everyone is into death or black metal ;)

I thought about small cdr runs, maybe I should reconsider it.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Omlet on September 19, 2014, 02:51:12 AM
Thanks for the tips :)

Dinger - promoting of my shit. It's quite difficult in eastern europe, where almost everyone is into death or black metal ;)

I thought about small cdr runs, maybe I should reconsider it.

Yeah, that's something that SOME labels provide.  I'd be really clear with the labels you talk to that you're specifically looking for PR.  A proper promotional campaign isn't exactly cheap, and some labels either don't have it in their budget, or they don't want to spend the money on a band that's not a tried and true money maker.

You can hire a PR company directly.  I'm not sure if that's your bag, as you shared that you offer downloads on Bandcamp for free, though you might like to look into it.

You can also do PR yourself.  I've done some PR campaigns for bands that were friends, it's mostly comprised of condensing and presenting your music in a compelling way.  After that, it's all about contacts.  Mostly what PR companies are going to do for you is get information about your band to all of their existing contacts.  That's largely what you're paying for, basically an email list of pertinent people in the industry and in the media.  The real movers and shakers.  That's really what you're paying for, in full honesty.  If you're ambitious and good at networking, it's nothing that you can't do yourself.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Omlet

Thanks again. I think that I'll try to do it myself - even if I fail, I'll learn something new.