Loop Samplers....who uses them...what do you have?

Started by spookstrickland, October 15, 2014, 04:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

Been thinking about getting one, Jam man, TC Electronics or Boss??? looking for reliable and simple.  What do you suggest?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

watch those looper contests on youtube. those people take it all the way.  amazing.
I have wasted several hours going through the different winners and runners' up's songs.
I have yet to deal with loopers, so I cant help you with the topic, just wanted to mention the sick talent of the loopy people heh.
they sure look like fun. i'll get to them eventually

Danny G

I use an RC-2 for Ocean of Stars.

Bare-bones simple. I don't build entire songs with it tho, I just use it to play certain guitar lines in certain songs (without full band playing). And that's mainly to avoid the added hassle of having the drummer play to a click.

The external foot switch (belongs to my lady) I just started messing with. VERY HANDY as I won't have to time out clicking the pedal TWICE to stop the loop when things kick back in.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

fallen

I'm looking too but just for playing back loops of noise or harmony drones. Seems like the only way is the Jamman Sr 4 button or a rack mount sampler.

Dedicated stop button is really important (for me). Can't ever get the hang of double clicking on the ditto.

eyeprod

what sucks about them is that you can get several tracks going, but then have no way to drop out any particular track. It's all on, or nothing. I use a boss vocal pedal for some looping with a synth, but to turn it off I have to fade out on the amp, then hit stop.
CV - Slender Fungus

Danny G

There are models where you can multi track and start /stop individual loops.

Google Reggie Watts. He's awesome
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on October 15, 2014, 07:23:16 AM
watch those looper contests on youtube. those people take it all the way.  amazing.
I have wasted several hours going through the different winners and runners' up's songs.
I have yet to deal with loopers, so I cant help you with the topic, just wanted to mention the sick talent of the loopy people heh.
they sure look like fun. i'll get to them eventually

I'm going to look for those right now.

thanks

Quote from: Danny G on October 15, 2014, 11:25:19 AM

I use an RC-2 for Ocean of Stars.

Bare-bones simple. I don't build entire songs with it tho, I just use it to play certain guitar lines in certain songs (without full band playing). And that's mainly to avoid the added hassle of having the drummer play to a click.

The external foot switch (belongs to my lady) I just started messing with. VERY HANDY as I won't have to time out clicking the pedal TWICE to stop the loop when things kick back in.

Thanks Danny, I'm going to put the Boss on my short list,  Thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RAGER

I've got one of these I rarely employ.  I need to figure out a use for it.  I have too much shit.

No Focus Pocus

Danny G

@ Spook

Yes, the RC-2 is a good entry-level loop pedal. I use it sparingly so it's perfect for what I need it to do. The external foot pedal is a nice addition to make it even easier

spookstrickland

Quote from: Danny G on October 15, 2014, 03:48:41 PM
@ Spook

Yes, the RC-2 is a good entry-level loop pedal. I use it sparingly so it's perfect for what I need it to do. The external foot pedal is a nice addition to make it even easier

does the external pedal do tap tempo or one click stopping?

thanks

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Danny G

Not sure about tempo, but yes on one-click stopping. And if you hold down for few seconds, it deletes the loop.

johnny problem

I really like the TC Electronics Ditto.  Really simple to use, and it doesn't take up any room.  If you want to go a little more intense, check out the Boomerang Phrase sampler III.  You could also use a delay pedal, like the Boss Gigadelay.  Put it on like 30 seconds of delay and it will loop continuously.

spookstrickland

Quote from: johnny problem on October 16, 2014, 05:07:49 PM
I really like the TC Electronics Ditto.  Really simple to use, and it doesn't take up any room.  If you want to go a little more intense, check out the Boomerang Phrase sampler III.  You could also use a delay pedal, like the Boss Gigadelay.  Put it on like 30 seconds of delay and it will loop continuously.

I almost ordered one of those but I've been reading a lot of stories about bad customer support and shoddy pedals coming out of TC Electronics lately.  Maybe that's just all hype.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

johnny problem

Whatever you choose, make sure you don't buy the TC Electronic Flashback for looping purposes (and only for looping, otherwise it's an awesome fucking pedal).  The flashback allows for volume adjustments of your loop, but it also affects your signal, so you can only play at the volume level on the pedal, making it useless in playing over the loop.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: fallen on October 15, 2014, 12:20:50 PM
I'm looking too but just for playing back loops of noise or harmony drones.

Me as well. I want a small pedal I can hit between songs while I tune. Something that holds it's memory after it's turned off though.

RAGER

You could use that little multitrack you got a while back.  Or you could buy a couple Buddha machines and have the sound guy fade those in and out for you.  Or use an old 4 track with a loop tape that you recorded.

Buddha machine

No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

I want something I can kick on and off real easy and have it play through my rig. I always want all this weird shit haha.

Lumpy

The Boss jumbo size looper does what you want (RC-20 or RC-20XL, only difference is how absurdly long do you need the sample loop to be). The newer regular size Boss RC-2 can do what you want, too... not sure but the main difference might be 2 switches on the double size pedals (on, off) versus a sequence of taps for on/off on the little one. How coordinated are you?  They store 10 or 11 loops plus a "one shot" sample (doesn't loop but plays only once). The extra footswitch pictured with the RC-2 advances your sample to the next setting (of 10 stored samples) so you don't look like a dork bending over to advance the dial by hand (spoils the mystery). These are all in the $100-120 range used, and should be easy to find, since new looper/samplers are coming out all the time.If you have room for the big Boss, it might be more foolproof (i dunno). See pics above. If you wanna control it yourself (not the sound guy) these are probably your best options/simplest to operate/bang for the buck. There's a setting to make your sample fade out, if you don't want it to end abruptly (fade out is still kinda quick).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

This. Exactly this. Getting one as soon as possible. Movie samples or prerecorded ambient or guitar sounds surely are better than silence or babbling into the mic when tuning up between songs. Sure, pro bands can rarely be seen tuning up but I'm 1,000 years from that level.

Lumpy

I don't think you need it. Nobody minds a breather in between songs.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

With this new band I want more destroying and less talking although I won't load harsh noise or power electronics into the RC-2. Wait actually..  :D

spookstrickland

Just bought the tc ditto looper, will let you know how it goes.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org