Main Menu

Let's talk practice amps

Started by Jake, October 25, 2014, 01:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Looking for something to keep in the living room. I'm pretty much wide open, except that I don't want anything that's too costly or has tubes. Something with built in effects could be cool, as long as they don't sound too much like ass. A headphone jack would be nice too, as my droning and caterwauling can get somewhat "unpleasant" to those within earshot.

Hit me with some suggestions, brothers.
poop.

Volume

Line6 Amplifi? A guy I know who works in a music shop was raving about it. Apparently you hook it up to your iPad and use that as your interface. You can mess around with effects, amps and whatnot. I haven't tried it, but it looked a bit like garageband, easy to use, seemed like fun.

Jake

That looks neat, but at $350 and $450, it's too rich for my blood.
poop.

The Shocker

fallen

Yamaha THR10 is my living room amp.

Now that it got a firmware update it takes pedals a lot better so I just leave it on the Marshall Super Lead setting with the gain rolled up and hit it with a Pharaoh or a treble booster.

It's more than loud enough for in front of the TV. The 5W is the same sounds but just a few less knobs and a lot less money.

If you connect a laptop you can change cabs and a bunch of different settings and save them into the presets for later but mostly I just use the stock Super Lead or JCM800 settings.

The Shocker

Had the Yamaha, I wasn't a fan of it.  Too noisy.

The Fender can download all the stuff too.

liquidsmoke

I've found that headphone jacks on practice amps tend to sound like complete ass but perhaps some are better than others.

kirky

Get the Orange 20 watt. Perfection.

Jake

I had that Yamaha THR-10 for a while last year. It was cool, and I liked the features, but I think I'd like something a little louder.
poop.

Jake

Daddy like. But why's everything gots to be so spendy? Or maybe I'm just a cheap ass.
poop.

jibberish

ok i'm going off topic, but this is way too cool for fender to have done. total spoof video on the vaporizer. I was laughing. this was right off the fender website heh.

VOLVO)))

Vaporizer sounds kinda meh. I dogged one out and decided I'd rather have a beat up ac30 instead of a pretty Vaporizer
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

this amp has an ac30 tone stack along with the marshall and fender stacks
the combo version uses a nice celestion  speaker

black

He's looking for non-tube amps.
All the Egnaters I've seen are tube jobs.
I could be mistaken though.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

jibberish

Quote from: black on October 29, 2014, 12:46:06 PM
He's looking for non-tube amps.
All the Egnaters I've seen are tube jobs.
I could be mistaken though.
you are correct.

I started a little off topic thing with that funny fender video I came across. the egnater was just finishing that side chain. the fender is all tube too.

my suggestion actually was the 40watt roland cube at like a $250 price point since the 10w Yamaha wasn't loud enough.

Danny G

I landed my Marshall Lead 12 for $130 used. Mean little amp
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

I like my little tube reel to reel into a 1x12 with a vintage 30.  Total price was prolly $150.

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

black is going to do a facepalm when he gets back to this thread haha.

I was actually at the fender site for legitimate reasons btw, before I derailed myself.

guitar center is blowing out a mountain of the fender mustang series SS amps and I was seeing what this was all about.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Back on topic, this is my go-to solid state practice amp:

Livin' The Life.

Danny G

Ever run a cab with one of those? Not too shabby for what it is
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

kirky

I've got a Crate powerblock that I run with a cheap blackheart 1x12. I've got one of those caitlinbread svt pedals. Sounds fucking great.