the "ugly guitars/guitars you hate, but suddenly want one" thread-

Started by Beta Cloud, March 15, 2015, 02:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

love Queen, love Brian May's playing and tone... but always thought the look of his guitar and the ac30's were like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
then i saw this-

can't get this fucking thing out of my head.

anyone else experience this?
why does it hurt when i pee?

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

eewww.  That peavey is horribly ugly.  That's ok though, to each their own.

Gretsch Corvette:

Vinyls.   deal.

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

CID Vicious

My buddy is kicking me down a Peavey Dyna Bass...have to wait a few days while he digs it out though.

Figures...just dropped moolah on an SX Jazz...bass'd up!

But yeah, I hit the research crackpipe hard last night...do want. Guess the SX will remain "vintage" & this will be the Donkey Dick O' Doom. Basically a hotted up Jazz, and the Super Ferrite pickups are apparently pretty dope.

Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

johnny problem

This Gretsch TK300.  Almost pulled the trigger on it, but it needs a lot of work, and isn't worth the price for the amount of work needed.

eyeprod

I have also come to appreciate the brian may model. It's pretty cool looking.
CV - Slender Fungus

Beta Cloud

i know it's probably not even in the ballark of his red special, but it looks rad.
if i scooped it, it would snowball to me wanting an AC30 and treble booster.

oh the humanity.
why does it hurt when i pee?

tombhex

I have the biggest boner for the MusicMan Bongo Basses... They're so ugly but they play and sound so great...

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

I might buy that Gretsch reissue right now, if it came in a hardtail model.

Lumpy

Quote from: tombhex on March 16, 2015, 09:44:47 AM
I have the biggest boner for the MusicMan Bongo Basses... They're so ugly but they play and sound so great...

Why are there 4 knobs on a bass with one pickup?

tombhex

Quote from: Lumpy on March 17, 2015, 05:44:56 PM
Quote from: tombhex on March 16, 2015, 09:44:47 AM

Why are there 4 knobs on a bass with one pickup?

Volume treble mid bass?

neighbor664

I'd take the Corvette in a heartbeat. I have been Jonesing for another Wilshire, or a Coronet. The Gretsch is kinda of like those.

khoomeizhi

yeah, dunno 'bout ugly on those. the corvette, the coronet, the wilshire, the crestwood...i think they're all at least kinda attractive. like those old guild b301 basses. hot.

the bongo's way fugly in my book though, for real.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

tombhex

Quote from: khoomeizhi on March 18, 2015, 12:23:46 AM
yeah, dunno 'bout ugly on those. the corvette, the coronet, the wilshire, the crestwood...i think they're all at least kinda attractive. like those old guild b301 basses. hot.

actually laughed out loud about the bongo. i'd still buy it tho.

Lumpy

Never liked the looks of a Bongo but I looked at that one and thought "maybe?"

It could be the Manopause talking though.

neighbor664

Quote from: khoomeizhi on March 18, 2015, 12:23:46 AM

I don't think any of them are ugly, I wasn't the one who posted the Corvette. I just said I like it.

khoomeizhi

i was commenting on the presence of any of those guitars that i mentioned in this thread, not at all trying to police you specifically  mentioning admittedly attractive guitars in an 'ugly guitars' thread. we are in agreement.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

CID Vicious

The Douglas Hadron 627, aka the "Hardon" :-)

Lost most any interest in pointy superstrats...but 27" thru neck >$200? I'm listening...

I'm batting that back and forth with a Slick SL54 for Drop C/Open C use.

The Slick's more, but has likely a very useable pickup in it, needs no upgrades.

The Hardon would likely get EMGs, but OG or X series are cheap used & ubiquitous.

The Hardon is dope...even classy for a pointy Uberstrat metal guitar.

The Slick is "just" a bolt on, but I have two set necks .& this is the only affordable G&L Rampage clone I can find.

Had a "heavy" ash or maple bodied OG Rampage and with a Duncan Custom it was VH style destruction...plus. Low wallop, high cut, enough mids just. Stupid Kahler & "I need a neck bucker on my guitar" & I traded down for a good but valueless cab. Kept a RG550 instead...youth andd stupidity hand in hand :-)

This...like the aesthetics & brass hardware, like the hardtail, & 25.5" should be fine for relatively wussy Drop C anyway, & if that doesn't become a big enough part of my sound...I'd just have a "cutter" in DGCFAD. The Hardon would get sold in the long scale, *possibly" kept in 25.5"...

Nice to have so many choices in the "broke ass" segment :D
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

da_qtip

A local music store has one of these.

I almost want it.
Almost.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

giantchris

Quote from: CID Vicious on May 24, 2015, 03:39:29 PM
The Douglas Hadron 627, aka the "Hardon" :-)

Lost most any interest in pointy superstrats...but 27" thru neck >$200? I'm listening...

I'm batting that back and forth with a Slick SL54 for Drop C/Open C use.

The Slick's more, but has likely a very useable pickup in it, needs no upgrades.

The Hardon would likely get EMGs, but OG or X series are cheap used & ubiquitous.

The Hardon is dope...even classy for a pointy Uberstrat metal guitar.

The Slick is "just" a bolt on, but I have two set necks .& this is the only affordable G&L Rampage clone I can find.

Had a "heavy" ash or maple bodied OG Rampage and with a Duncan Custom it was VH style destruction...plus. Low wallop, high cut, enough mids just. Stupid Kahler & "I need a neck bucker on my guitar" & I traded down for a good but valueless cab. Kept a RG550 instead...youth andd stupidity hand in hand :-)

This...like the aesthetics & brass hardware, like the hardtail, & 25.5" should be fine for relatively wussy Drop C anyway, & if that doesn't become a big enough part of my sound...I'd just have a "cutter" in DGCFAD. The Hardon would get sold in the long scale, *possibly" kept in 25.5"...

Nice to have so many choices in the "broke ass" segment :D
The only issue with the slick is it doesn't have the G&L Neck.  Pretty sure the Rampage/superhawk/invader models run 1 3/4" necks.