Help me select a cool fuzz pedal

Started by Dylan Thomas, July 03, 2015, 10:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Buy used, if possible. Get a couple of fuzz pedals and A/B them. The loser gets flipped (sold).  Buy another used fuzz. Repeat until you have a fuzz that cannot be beat.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

TannisRoot

I'm a big fan of Basic Audio's fuzz pedals. The Spooky Tooth is featured on Uncle Acid's Blood Lust and covers a lot of classic fuzz tones.  http://www.basicaudio.net/effect-pedals-new.php

mortlock

i run a swollen pickle on my bass. drips with saturated fuzz. drenched in sludge..

dogfood

Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz, V.1.  surprising.
Problem solving whiskey!

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: dogfood on July 08, 2015, 08:01:12 PM
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz, V.1.  surprising.

I liked the sound of those old Dano pedals.  I used the echo and reverse echo for awhile.  The little Tuna Melt Tremolo also sounded sweet! However, they really weren't very durable at all.  I went through two of those echoes and three of the Tuna Melt's. Sometimes you get what you pay for....
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

VOLVO)))

Most anything BAT gets my vote. I want a Boneshaker.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

giantchris

Quote from: mortlock on July 06, 2015, 10:20:52 PM
i run a swollen pickle on my bass. drips with saturated fuzz. drenched in sludge..
Sounds awesome on bass yeah but I question the reliability of those because mine lasted about a year of mostly home and practice space use.  Only pedals I've had crap out on me ever were my TC Electronics HoF reverb and the Swollen Pickle Mk 2. 

mortlock

so far I haven't had any problems. I hope it doesn't die on me, especially considering what it cost..

CID Vicious

For a recording? Get a buncha cheap clones instead of one overpriced superduper, IMO.

Behringer makes a good FZ2 clone, which is a Superfuzz with an EQ.

Just sold a Shin Ei FW8 with the OG Superfuzz circuit. GOTTA TRY.

A clone for ***$25***!!! How can you not.

While you're on Scamazon snag a Modtone Fuzzer for a great but different flavor, $30. Using one on my board now, killer...

And if you need a freakout machine for special sauce, IMO that's what a Swollen Pickle MKII is for. ~85 used.

For around $150 all the fuzz you'd need, & doesn't really duplicate what you already have.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: CID Vicious on August 08, 2015, 05:30:46 PM
For a recording? Get a buncha cheap clones instead of one overpriced superduper, IMO.

Behringer makes a good FZ2 clone, which is a Superfuzz with an EQ.

Just sold a Shin Ei FW8 with the OG Superfuzz circuit. GOTTA TRY.

A clone for ***$25***!!! How can you not.

While you're on Scamazon snag a Modtone Fuzzer for a great but different flavor, $30. Using one on my board now, killer...

And if you need a freakout machine for special sauce, IMO that's what a Swollen Pickle MKII is for. ~85 used.

For around $150 all the fuzz you'd need, & doesn't really duplicate what you already have.

Huh, I appreciate your pragmatic analysis.

Researching these pedals now.  I have had great luck with Behringer's pedals in the studio, I love their extra dark sounding analog delay.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.