So any Kindle users here?

Started by The Shocker, March 15, 2011, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

I sure click that button every time.  I think the problem with true crime books are that for the most part they a paperback only releases done on the cheap.  Probably not much incentive to put those on a Kindle.  I've been meaning to check for guitar tab books for the Kindle - seems like it would work well for that, but who knows?

I love real books, but we are really out of room for them.  I've been toying with the idea of sending some of my old books to Amazon for gift cards.  They pay for postage and I've got tons of boxes and packing material.     

black

Genius!

I did not know they do that.
Thanks for that tip. I dig how amongst the jackassery and whatnot, I still learn stuff by hanging out here.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

The Shocker

They buy back some DVD's too.  Pennies on the dollar, but nowhere local buys books or DVD's & it ain't worth ebaying most of the shit I have.  Figure I send enough back to get some blu-rays or CD's.

black

"...but nowhere local buys books or DVD's & it ain't worth ebaying most of the shit I have..."

Same thing out here. Thanks again for the suggestion. Pennies on the dollar beat paying to store the archives.

mertz

I have an iPad I load books on...love it! Sucks to move with sooo many books...I finally had to get rid of them...and on an iPad I can make the print larger.

black

...and on an iPad I can make the print larger.

Perhaps one of the most attractive features of the Kindle, for my poor, bi-focal-needing eyes.

MadJohnShaft

I love reading novels via Kindle app on iPad and iPhone.  Life changer.

My sister gave me that Steve Martin paper book and it references a lot of art - I find myself thinking of getting the ebook version so I can do what I normally do - look up stuff on the Google that intrigues me. Paper books suck now.  Need glasses on. Need the light on.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Quote from: mertz on January 16, 2012, 10:52:15 PM
I have an iPad I load books on...love it! Sucks to move with sooo many books...I finally had to get rid of them...and on an iPad I can make the print larger.

You shouldn't have to use reading glasses for these.  they should make the print adjustable therefore deleting the need for glasses.  Do they use this as a marketing tool?

Maybe in the future they will make windshields like this too.
No Focus Pocus

Beerjerk

Picked one up today and am loving it so far. Downloaded Conan's "Red Nails" and the H.P. Lovecraft collection for free through Amazon.

I was a little skeptical of Kindles at first, since I love to have physical copies of my books. But once I ran out of bookshelf space, and my apartment space is getting a bit cramped, and bookshelf was not an option, I gave in and bought it. Don't regret it so far.

Mr Neutron

just picked one up with leftover birthday money, and a gift card i really had no use for (office max?)

all sorts of excited to dig into this.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

MadJohnShaft

I was thinking - back in the day, it was a mission to sneak the Ayn Rand rubbish out of the girlfriend's bookcase (and female friends) and throw them out went they weren't looking.

Now you can delete it to to archive page and then delete out of the archive.  The perfected crime.

MadJohnShaft

If you get an Amazon Prime subscription you get access to their lending library of a billion free books.  iPad has a bunch of Apps that give you free access to 1000s of classics.  

It's a nice resource to poke around in famous novels without getting committed to owning the damn thing or pretending you're going to finish it.

I have maybe a 100 sitting on my iPad waiting for some downtime.  I actually bought a Kafka, Don Qouitxe, and a Proust to upgrade from the public domain versions to a better translation or version.  How about that? Wonder who gets the money.

What do you think of Kindle Singles and Apple's new iPublisher thing?   Write a novella and make yourself a million dollars.  Field is still wide open for now.  I've purchased a few essays and rather like it.

Do any of your books ever misfire?  The footnotes are broken on the one I am reading now.

black

I like the singles deal. I can read articles from magazines without having to get the whole magazine or check out some fancy pants essay. Not bad for just a few cents. I also have had some books "misfire". Sometimes it's the font and other times it'll bookmark something that I didn't bookmark (or maybe i was screwing things up when using the dictionary).

MadJohnShaft

I went to look for free books for kindle on Amazon and I couldn't figure it out.

With Kindel singles, no matter how I sorted it they all looked uninteresting or stupid.

On iPad - The free books app and iBooks easily click to 1000s of them effortlessly.

mertz

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on February 06, 2012, 09:36:02 PM
I went to look for free books for kindle on Amazon and I couldn't figure it out.

With Kindel singles, no matter how I sorted it they all looked uninteresting or stupid.

On iPad - The free books app and iBooks easily click to 1000s of them effortlessly.
I had the same issue...I'll try iBooks. What other sources do you use?

MadJohnShaft

The Library - our local library has ebooks that you read on the blue fire app.

Mr Neutron

Quote from: mertz on February 06, 2012, 09:43:46 PM
I had the same issue...I'll try iBooks. What other sources do you use?

torrents.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

MadJohnShaft

One day the iPad kicked all of my stolen books out of iBooks. Those Nazis!  I buy books instead of stealing them like music.

OUTLANDAH

Having a kindle rocks. Public domain books all over the place. I haven't shilled out the money for the prime membership yet, but it's definitely worth the annual fee. I've only payed full price for one book so far. Ton's of kindle versions of history, philosophy and just in general classic literature. All the best ones!

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, I got a prime membership and got it back in shipping and books quickly

The Shocker

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on July 02, 2012, 08:39:02 PM
Yeah, I got a prime membership and got it back in shipping and books quickly

Hey, we actually agree.  Prime is the way to go.

MadJohnShaft

I pre-ordered a Kindle Paperwhite cause it looks cool and the backlight thing is appealing. Plus the one I use is my kid's and he wants it back.

Edit: got it yesterday, it's really nice and the one to get. The light makes all the difference.

I,Galactus

Paperwhite vs. Nook Simple Touch w/ GlowLight

Convince me one way or the other! GO GO GO!
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

The Bandit

Amazon is taking over the world.  Go with that.

I,Galactus

Quote from: The Bandit on November 20, 2012, 04:03:09 PM
Amazon is taking over the world.  Go with that.

But it's got ads and shit.  $20 to turn 'em off.  Gets my dang ol' goat, that does.   >:(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"