Ultima IV - Quest Of The Avatar

Started by Dylan Thomas, July 23, 2015, 12:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

I loved RPG games as a child, and beat most of the old ones, Wizardry, the Bard's Tale series, Might and Magic, Wasteland, etc.  I was really good at them, and enjoyed the fighting strategies, the puzzles, the mazes and mapping, character development, all that.

The one I've never been able to beat is Ultima IV.  I recently read this thing where it took a guy 13 years to figure out how to beat this game!!

I gave it another shot on an emulator a couple years ago, and I did....alright, better than when I was a child.  That computer shit the bed, and my friend gave me a version for my new Linux box.  I've just started a new game, and am doing....alright lol.  I think one of my characters is already dead from poison.

Any other fans of old school gaming?  This game in particular is exceptionally difficult, so I'm wondering if anyone has played and/or completed it??  I'd like to beat it before I die.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

gritty_fingers

I used to love games like that when I was younger.

I was particular fond of the old Infocom games back in the day.
"Ginger People"

Dylan Thomas

I remember those.  They were really tough.  I played some Zork and Enchanter, I can't remember if I beat them or not.  I gravitated towards the graphic based games, even though back then I programmed Infocom style text games for the Apple that my friends would play.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

socket

The only Ultima I ever got into was Ultima 8: Pagan. It looked super awesome but was buggy as hell.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.