Delaney & Bonnie, Bobbie Whitlock, Derek and the Dominoes, where to start?

Started by The Shocker, November 15, 2013, 07:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Not really familiar with this stuff besides "Layla", but have been reading up on these folks.  Any fans?  Suggestions where to start?  Other artists to check out?

The Shocker

Oh I looked at RYM, Allmusic, and Wikipedia, but I was hoping someone here was a fan/familiar with them.

CanookieWookie

The Shocker

Ah, ok.  I downloaded Home, will give it a good listen tomorrow.

CanookieWookie

I'm not a massive Derek & Dominos fan, I may be one of the few who think the album Layla and Other Assorted...  is just not very good.  While I am a massive Duane Allman fan, I find a lot of the cuts weak.

Bobby Whitlock -- his s/t and Raw Velvet are pretty decent. 

GodShifter

Yeah, Bobby Whitlock's first two solo things are pretty good. So + 1.

The Bandit

I listened to Home.  It was ok.  Not really anything special.  I liked Delaney a lot better than Bonnie.  She seemed to be trying too hard?  Will probably check out Bobby Whitlock next.

CanookieWookie

Delaney and Bonnie, to me, are mood music.  You have to be in the mood for tunes like this, it's not a "everyday" listening type of band to me.

Woody

I like the Delaney & Bonnie live tape with Eric Clapton a lot. Rhino released 3 or 4 complete shows from that tour a few years ago.

The Shocker

This is still my favorite Country Soul/White Blues type album:

MikeyT

Don't know if you caught all these-

Those 'Duane Allman - An Anthology' albums which feature some of his 'session work' have some tasty stuff on them. You heard those, right?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

The Shocker

Yes, I have the Duane Allman albums.  Good stuff.  If you like Allmans related stuff, check out Johnny Jenkins' Ton-Ton Macoute!

MikeyT

CanookieWookie

I've had that Johhny Jenkins cd for years.  It's fucking smokin'.

The Bandit

Quote from: CanookieWookie on November 17, 2013, 08:17:36 PM
I'm not a massive Derek & Dominos fan, I may be one of the few who think the album Layla and Other Assorted...  is just not very good.  While I am a massive Duane Allman fan, I find a lot of the cuts weak.

Bobby Whitlock -- his s/t and Raw Velvet are pretty decent. 

Just got Layla.  I would say half the songs are fucking awesome and half are boring.  Probably could have made a great single disc album.  Still like it better than that Delaney & Bonnie album.

MikeyT

I've been listening to Derek & The Dominos Live At The Fillmore online. I dug it, so I'll probably pick it up. What knocked me out was Jim Gordon's drumming. I had no idea he was that good.

It's taken from the same shows as  the earlier release, Derek & The Dominos Live - I think there were only two shows which were professionally recorded and both albums were drawn from those two shows, but Live At The Fillmore isn't really an expansion of Live:

Live At The Fillmore has more tracks than Live, featuring several previously unreleased songs.  Not only does it have the unreleased songs, but some (all?) of the songs on Fillmore which were included on the first live album are actually different versions- so the albums should really be seen as companion pieces. I'll probably get both of them.

MikeyT

Just ran across this- Check it out, it's Great.