Killing Joke - Pylon

Started by Submarine, October 23, 2015, 09:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

Maybe not stoner/doom but certainly well respected within our ranks.  So Killing Joke influenced Ministry and now it sounds like maybe Ministry is influencing Killing Joke - I mean that in the best way.  The rhythm section is super tight and focused.  Guitars are mechanically precise - which works very well when producing post-apocalyptic type music.

I'm writing this as I listen to it for the first time.  I have a feeling I'll be listening to this over and over. 

frobbert

Well respected certainly. Until I saw them at Roadburn 2012 that is. What a bunch of cunts! Their first album will always be one of my favorites and I like a lot of their other stuff as well but I can't help it, their behavior at live shows (mostly that pathetic douche Geordie and his Hitler lookalike roadie) kinda ruined Killing Joke for me. Fuck these losers!  >:(
bite me

RalphSnart_2

I've got a few albums, and I've been more into them recently. But nothing past Democracy. I'd give the newer stuff a shot but I feel like I should fill out my collection with the classics first. Usually that's how I feel about bands who have been around for 30+ years.

RalphSnart_2

Now it turns out that I'm going to see Killing Joke in February. Guess I better give the new shit a listen. I'll try not to antagonize the band during the show. God knows, they might call me a "wanker".

Submarine

I've given it quite a few listens now.  Its grown on me quite a bit.  I got the deluxe package that includes 5 extra tracks.  The extra 5 tracks are killer.  Apotheosis is the hardest track in the set and it rocks.  Big Buzz is my other fav- the melodic hooks and opening guitar riff remind me of their mid 80's stuff. Panopticon sounds like Pink Floyd if they were a doom band.  Plague has got a great tribal groove.

Its almost impossible to believe a band that has been around as long as they have still make hard uncompromising music.

Dunedin

I've got it on double vinyl. Works for me.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

RalphSnart_2

I didnt see them because the fucking tour was cancelled and I was the last to know. But the upside was that in preparation for it, I got a lot more familiar with their back catalog.