Contributing to a compilation or tribute album

Started by bbottom, December 25, 2015, 10:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

How do you go about finding labels that do these sort of things and then how do you get on them? There are a ton of such albums out there and I always thought that it would be cool to get one of my bands on one. Especially a tribute album (CCR and GrandFunk would be ideal)

Any leads would be more than appreciated

mortlock

basically you got to get the scoop before they come out and ask if you can submit a track. it helps if you know someone who is putting the release out, obviously. i would never get involved in a pay to be on it comp. fuck that. its not a horrible idea but id rather be selected on the merits of my band instead of who has money to throw at it.

bbottom

Yea I wouldn't pay to be on such a thing either.

Lumpy

What about arranging your own comp? Be the stoner rock you want to see in the world.

You might even get some bands on the board to participate.

I might rather prefer a comp of original music, however (YMMV)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on December 27, 2015, 08:56:57 PM
What about arranging your own comp? Be the stoner rock you want to see in the world.

You might even get some bands on the board to participate.

I might rather prefer a comp of original music, however (YMMV)

I'd love to man but I have three bands and normal life stuff going on so I don't have the time to coordinate such a thing.

If I ever do though I'll be sure to post about it here  :)

lordfinesse

I like the idea of a board band comp. So many of us here record, mix, and sometimes even master our own bands' recordings, I'm guessing many of us could provide fairly polished tracks. If so, and no physical product is being pressed, then there's really no cost beyond the time put in by the bands and the compiler. A simple Soundcloud or Bandcamp page could provide a place for folks to download the album for free. It could be a fun project with relatively little time invested and maybe a different experience for some of us. Am I crazy? Would anyone else be into this?
Billy Squier 24/7

jibberish

so what would the genre(s) be limited to, and there probably should be limits due to people like me heh.

I propose space collusions between myself, giantchris and ocean of stars.

maybe I need to make a keyboard demo.
people around here seem short on keyboard players and some keys could be the missing pieces to greater adventures.

bbottom

If someone wants to coordinate the thing I'm down

Danny G

Cool

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

khoomeizhi

what do people think about (decent quality) live recordings going on something like this?
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Lumpy

Quote from: khoomeizhi on January 01, 2016, 06:23:18 PM
what do people think about (decent quality) live recordings going on something like this?

Smoke em if you got em. I don't see why not?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

khoomeizhi

word. it's what we gots. i'm in if there's an organizer (i'm not up to it)
let's dispense the unpleasantries