Best British Tube 50 or 100 watt Head Under A Grand.

Started by CID Vicious, February 11, 2016, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CID Vicious

I already have a badass Laney AOR. But it's more of the studio mojo amp than a gigging workhorse. Gifted to me, want to respect that.

Similar vibe wanted - modded or modern Marshall type tones. Already figured out that the AOR boost's secret sauce is that it's comparable to a Fatboost 3 up full - 35db or so.

So it doesn't have to be a gain monster stock per se, but can get there with boost a la JCM800.

I so far see Valvekings and Windsors in cheapie land (~300 used). Frugal and possibly right tonewise, tonewisecould easily buy backups, but who wants to haul three middling reliable heads to every gig?

Still see JCM800 heads around a G.

JCM900 2500 is a personal fave and hidden gem.

GH100TI, different but holy shit is it good, still British.

Think pro grade, think not looking like a schmuck with cheap gear or unreliable PITA gear.

DSL100 is a plain jane but totally acceptable choice.

Thoughts? All are older and would be used likely, perhaps part of the G would be amp tech.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

bbottom

I am friends with a guy that swears by his Peavey VTM 60. He calls it a Mississippi Marshall. It does actually sound pretty good and you can score one for a few hundred bucks

everdrone

I love my thunderverb 50, if you save up a little more you could get a used one for just over a grand these dayz

Danny G

Yes. peavey VTM series are fucking beasts and very easy on the wallet (tho hard on your back)

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Mr. Foxen

My mate is selling a late 70's marshall jmp , 100w, £500, plus US shipping is about £150. I have bunches of Brit amps for sale: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.363434913762369.1073741840.351966881575839&type=1&l=9eb69e753a

CID Vicious

Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

CID Vicious

IMO the Peavey VTM is more like what I already have - better to keep for studio use that as a rock solid pillar of a live rig.

Looked some more...forgot about Hughes & Kettner.

A Duotone or Triamp can easily be had for about a G, two or three good channels, and Probably my favorite non Marshall...Marshall. Buying a $2000 amp for the same coin an older JCM800 or Laney (or even SOVTEK, WTF?) sounds better to me than buying a cheap amp for 'real amp' money.

I just went and tried a DSL100 (maybe 50) and at $899 brand new with Warranty and gear coverage through GC...makes a lot of sense. Stage diver knocks your hot cranked tube head to the floor, go to the nearest GC, point to your policy & bam new DSL for tonight's show.

They're actually great amps out of the box, & surely picking out some apropos preamp tubes and some Mullard RIs would goose the mojo a bit. And quite a standard pro amp.

Really truly on the Pragmatic bent, a Tech 21 Trademark 300 has the same preamp circuitry as my Tri A.C., which does hot JCM tones to a T and great cleans, third channel...tweed grit, crunchy but not raging 70's Marshall, Mesa Mark I liquid leads? Never change or break tubes, never give a shit about the ohms on a borrowed cab. I have a Tri A.C/MosValve 80/80 which is the heart of my effects rig, & could easily leave the Laney at home with it. $750 new.

Keep em coming.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

Beta Cloud

the jet city heads are killer, basically chinese made soldanos'.
if you can find em', they're cheap and sound killer!

also, i'm surprised nobody mentioned blackstar stuff; nice brit sound IMO, cheapish and cool-

good luck!
why does it hurt when i pee?

CID Vicious

That moment when Craigslist gives you a golden ticket to tone town after years of junk trading.

Handbuilt PTP 68 SLP Clone. Hi grade stuff, former Morgan amps employee build.

After some considering, figured a clean pedal platform might be best for live use. Was looking at red knob twins when I found this.

Going to experiment, but likely set it clean and use my Tri AC for three gain stages. Going to have to experiment. Glad I didn't trade the Fat Boost now. Vox Snatchurator might be a very good match for this too.

Gibson SG > M13 > this might be all I need live.

Special shows, A/B that with the Laney.

More to follow, frustratingly huge blue balls but have to wait until tomorrow or later to get my Slick outta pawn... some serious bullshit pulling this and the SG-1 off this week, let go of three pedals a MosValve MV-962 & traded my flametop G400 to make it happen.

But fuck it. Could in theory and in delusions of grandeur tour round the world with this thing. Vs gear I can always replace easily.

Nice Epi, or the SG I've lusted after since high school...

I managed to get this done for under $500. Not easily replicable, some absolutely have to have all the gain built into the head, but...PTP FTW. I suppose one could just get a pair of Valvekings and have a backup if you're not PCB phobic.

Passed on a simple trade for a similarish Ampeg V50H straight over for just the Epi...but really not comparable. Sucks I didn't just have the cash, small difference in price.

Frankly though, small price to be set for life, & kits to build one are like $850.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

CID Vicious

I get my SG on Lupercalia, and pick up an amp not unlike Tony Iommi's original Laney...on his birthday.

I'll take that.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

Pissy

How about a 1st generation 5150? you can find those for under a grand on the auction site place.
Vinyls.   deal.

CID Vicious

Quote from: Pissy on February 28, 2016, 07:37:50 AM
How about a 1st generation 5150? you can find those for under a grand on the auction site place.

Never was a personal fan of em. 6534 maybe, but though it's ostensibly a "hot rodded Marshall" IMO it's a very "American" tonality.

Crazy to think they used to be very cheap used. Such a staple Death Metal/Hardcore head I suppose is why. 6505s are supposedly less desireable.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

bitter

I want to try the new lunchbox 6505. I think I may get one down the road for the house.

That being said, ive always wondered how much more versatile the 5150/6505 models could be with a low gain preamp tube set. Just something that would mellow out the sizzle and make 'em a little less agreessive on the gain section.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

CID Vicious

I was eyeing the Valveking Mini, EL84s are more apropos for Marshall type sounds than 6L6s are.

The VK series is kinda Laney AOR ish. If I get the chance I want to try modding a VK100 for EL34s, bet that knocks the "ish" right the fuck off.

The Point To Point 68 SLP pretty much owns my universe now. VERY fucking loud, great cleans, eats pedals like "Feeeed me, Seymour!"

Most go oh...Plexi...I want more gain than ACDC.

Thing is, Iommi, Hendrix, Gilmour, SRV, Page and etc, "pure tube tone" kings all...use pedals. Nasty boost (Iommi), Fuzz Comp OD etc for the rest. EVH? Try EP Boost.

The Plexi, due to it's sheer simplicity, is a sorta hifi tube amp, that Hydes up into a rager when pushed.

Tri A.C. or Character Pedal or you favorite Marshall in a box. Or Orange or Recto if one wants to go the Character series route, I kinda want the Recto version for blended tones.

The Pkexi's four inputs allow for aby useage. So, if I want...effects into the Normal input, dry distortions and cleans through the Bright. Either/Or, or Blended.

So, say my M13 is off. I have "raging Marshall" on my TriAC. On my dry channel say I switch that Tri AC off and pop the Recto Character pedal on.

Blended multiamp sounds in one rig, nary a digit making any of the gain.

My Plexi clone is all new parts, so no recapping or wondering if some ancient component is going to fry. Anything did go wrong, can be fixed easily, no PCB to worry about. Being built in a HAM style chassis, no heavy cabinet surrounding it like most heads, it's light, too, to the point of making a mini almost superfluous.

I wonder if I'll really need the Laney, honestly...but then, it's the modded to hell version of the Plexi anyway. For studio use, that thing is boss tits.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

VOLVO)))

5150/6505 are the same amp. 5150 is one of those Van Halen Trademark shits. When he went to Fender, they couldn't use his shit no more.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

CID Vicious

Quote from: VOLVO))) on February 28, 2016, 07:45:26 PM
5150/6505 are the same amp. 5150 is one of those Van Halen Trademark shits. When he went to Fender, they couldn't use his shit no more.

Oh, so it's an "old shit automatically better" thing then. I knew they were essentially the same. I'd try out a 6534 in a heartbeat, just to see if it fixed what I didn't like.

The 5150III is fairly tasty but in a modern sounding way, don't see one unseating my love for Marshall style gain.

Two best tones I heard at a death metal show two years ago were Obituary (JCM800, Rat, HSS Fender Strat) & Carcass, which was a 5150III.

Gotta try smacking a Windsor around with pedals. Wonder if it takes em as well as a real 800.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual

Welcome to America,
(Yeah, right!)

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G