so i was thinking about different approaches to music...................

Started by peyotepeddler, March 23, 2011, 03:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peyotepeddler

you know how people act when teaching, playing live, showing "your goods" to other players

first you have the "this is so fucking boring, i cannot believe i took the time to record this" person

then you have the person that obviously bleeds the shit, lives for it, its a like a cult:)

i guess i'm more into vibes and feel than technical ability

point of this thread?  just random thoughts

cheers

LogicalFrank

Reminds me quite a bit of this Devin Townsend video:

Wait until about 3:20 and he goes off. In any case, I like the Devin video because he goes off on the stuff while actually playing it. Too often when people criticize shredders and what not it just translates to "I can't play that fast and I'm jealous."

In any case, I don't play too fast. Wish I could. Know a bit of music theory. Wish I knew more. I dunno if my approach is cult like or anything like that but whatever. When I pick up my guitar, I can always do what I set out to do.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Wesogkan

It's all about the riff...'cause that's what I'm good at, haha.

VOLVO)))

Holy shit Devin Townsend is AWESOME. "This is shit I learned when I was a fucking dungeon master blah blah" hahaha. Totally rad.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 23, 2011, 05:36:20 PM
Holy shit Devin Townsend is AWESOME. "This is shit I learned when I was a fucking dungeon master blah blah" hahaha. Totally rad.

Ditto!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Mike_Sims

Quote from: peyotepeddler on March 23, 2011, 03:48:20 PM
i guess i'm more into vibes and feel than technical ability
I'll 2nd that. The whole "shredding" thing is cool, but it gets (imo) boring real quick. I'm more of a rhythmic guy, I hate playing leads, I suck at playing leads, etc. I like a good vibe, structure and atmosphere to a song.

VOLVO)))

As far as being a slave to the riff... I am. I'm usually in one-guitar bands, so I find places to do leads and whatnot, but it's just your usual pentatonic-possibly the same solo in every song type thing. Nothing over technical. Riffffffffffbzzzzzzzzumpppphhhhhhhhh

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

Wow, that video was great! At first I could barely watch, then when he started talking I couldn't stop. I'm gonna watch some more of that guy, just to crack up.

As for teachers... it can be hard to find a good one. Probably because it's not easy to do. When it comes to teaching music I'm more the type that can do it, better than I can teach it... I made some half assed attempts at instructional videos for slide guitar. All I could do was start the camera and play.
CV - Slender Fungus

El Zombre

Another slave to the riff here. Even more so to riff changes. I for one cannot appreciate a good strumming pattern.

TheWolf IsLoose

Hevy Devy...I've seen that man run around a tour bus on mushrooms. A fantastic sight to behold really...
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." -Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82)

mortlock

Quote from: TheWolfIsLoose on March 23, 2011, 10:47:41 PM
Heavy Devy...I've seen that man run around a tour bus on mushrooms. A fantastic sight to behold really...
i might even pay to see that..

peyotepeddler

logical, that was fucking rad man, i was sipping a beer, kicked back in my rockin' chair, then, bam, he just went off ha ha

i'm guilty, no doubt, "the power of the riff compels me!"

i don't think its technical ability that turns me off, its the lack of emotion and feel, like i posted before, those "electric period" miles davis videos are full of ability, but the soul and vibes are there

neighbor664

It's all subjective. OM bores the shit out of me. Eric Johnson does too, but at least there is a discernible and memorable melody to that song. So much so that some kid 20+ years later is covering it on youtube.
I just don't see that happening with OM.

Why did you post this is in the jam room and not GS?

Jake

Quote from: neighbor664 on March 24, 2011, 08:26:16 PM

My guess is that it's because he's talking about one's overall playing style, technique, and songwriting. All very appropriate for the Casa de lo Jam Room, no?
poop.

Danny G

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Chovie D

My approach, by way of default, was to acheive a level of proficiency i was comfortable with, then not think about my technical abilities veyr much  and just use what i had which was more than enough to do whatever i wanted at least in a rock context. I consider myself a blazing lead player, but I knew I was never going to sit for hours working on sweeps and arps and tapping to the extent the Vais and Malmsteems and so forth were doing. I encorporated some elements from noise rock, jazz and punk into my lead playing and considered this my 'style'.

I guess what Im sayng is you dont need to be overly technically proficient to be a great lead player (not that I'm great).
You need some chops yes, but you dont need the "dungeon master" stuff, nor is it particular appealing to me musically.
These days the moments when I wince and dont lke wheat i just played in a solo, its most often an old 80's Van Halen lick that just crept in there from way back in the depths of my dorito eating, D&D playing 1984, jams shorts wearing, soul of yesteryear. like a phreudian slip they creep in and embarass me sometimes. I find the ments I fell best about are the complete surprises..where I am completely winging it and free from any considerations of technical ability, scales, modes, ..im in the moment so to speak.

riffs i think of more as song writing. righting a good riff =writing a good song (sort of) and its differnt to me than lead playing which is more juts icing the cake than the cake itself. dig?

I think you need both to be a great guitar player. Youd ont need to be techincally amazing but you do need ot be able to put forth some leads now again, even if its just skronking feedback bvlasts or simple one liners or black flag style spazz outs. The riff needs leads, the leads cant exist without the riffs.

botom line:rock out, dont overthink it

and nevr spellcheck or edit

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: Jake on March 25, 2011, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: neighbor664 on March 24, 2011, 08:26:16 PM

My guess is that it's because he's talking about one's overall playing style, technique, and songwriting. All very appropriate for the Casa de lo Jam Room, no?

this, and i think more people that read and post here have a greater foundation and understanding

cheers

peyotepeddler

so i was checking the tube for 2011 om videos, and lo and behold, a devin live show popped up, i'm on the laptop right now, and the speakers suck, but man the guy is putting on a good show, i would check him out if he came to town, fucking animal ha ha

clockwork green

Devin wasn't so anti-shred when he was playing/singing with Steve Vai in the early 90's.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

LogicalFrank

I don't think he's anti-shred. He's anti-bullshit-shredding, which is different.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

SpaceTrucker

I think the shredding in "Bewitched" Is just perfect for the song. And the singing is just epic. Also "Well of souls" is a good one on that album.

As far as my personal goals as a guitar player?  Play as close to as good as Joe Walsh as I can.