Atlanta

Started by Token, September 11, 2016, 08:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Token

jmucke

Saw the first episode, funny without being silly. Looks very promising,

jmucke

I'm not really a fan of 20-25 minute episodes but Atlanta is by far the best TV-series at the moment - next to Quarry. I wouldn't even call it a comedy even though it's hilariously funny most of the time.

To quote Vulture: "For a show to tackle a rapper's ambivalence about fame, mass incarceration, the plight of mental health care in America, homophobia, and transphobia in 22 minutes without overwhelming its audience is quite impressive. "

Token

That nigga told my 95 old year grandmother she was cooking her collard greens wrong

ron

Donald Glover is incredibly talented... I'm digging this show.
Focus on the riff.

irratebass

Great show!  &  Darius rules!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Living a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on Mac Davis budget

Token

Season 2 Kickoff last night, best show on right now, period.

florida man

jmucke

Downloading but I'm off to see Lee Ranaldo so it has to wait until tomorrow.

jmucke

Awesome. Episode 4 is one of the best TV-episodes ever, the bastard child of "Beerfest" and "Get Out" with some break-up-drama thrown in. Just incredible inventive.

renfield

This show lives up to the hype. Really excited to see Stanfield in the Boots Riley movie

jmucke

I almost missed that season 3 finally arrived. First episode was creepy-weird-strange and I am still trying to figure out how it fits in the series. Second episode treads more familiar ground - if there is such a thing in "Atlanta". It takes place in Amsterdam and is funny as hell (and a little creepy-weird of course). I totally forgot about the Zwarte-Piet-controversy although I don't life that far from the Netherlands. But its perfect for a Atlanta-abroad-episode.
[spoiler]
Best Darius-line:
"I've been roaming the streets, high since twilight. This city is my jesus."
[/spoiler]

jmucke

And in episode 3 its off to London. More great stuff. I hope the whole season stays abroad and that a visit to Germany is included.

jmucke

So, just watched the last episode. In the end, there are mixed feeling. This is an incredibly well-made series but I am left with a feeling that Donald Glover and co were trying too hard or were a little full of themselves and their own cleverness. There is no chance in hell to catch every little detail and reference without reading smart recaps like the ones in Vulture. I am sucker for injokes and hidden hints but if you are overdoing it, it becomes a little tedious.  Still, some of this stuff is really funny (and smart).