Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 424

Author Topic: Make America Great Again, a/k/a We're All Fucked - the thread  (Read 250341 times)

juan11

• FOCUS: 1741
  • Total time logged in: 1 hours and 11 minutes.
Re: Make America Great Again, a/k/a We're All Fucked - the thread
« Reply #10150 on: April 08, 2020, 09:18:16 PM »

Cheers?

We're doomed!  On that, I'm certain. :)
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

RacerX

• FOCUS: -2076
« Reply #10151 on: April 08, 2020, 09:37:05 PM »

Biden is basically a Republican  ;)

:-X
Livin' The Life.

renfield

• FOCUS: 128
« Reply #10152 on: April 08, 2020, 09:42:31 PM »

Oh man, I'm getting into my cups and this is just going to get more stupid.

I acknowledge that it's possible that Bernie's platform was too radical and most people don't agree with it. Sure you can get 70% of people to agree to M4A on a poll if you word it a certain way but you can also get them to denounce it if you word it different. Sure, Bernie is ranked as the country's most trusted and likable politician in numerous polls, but if I'm going to call into question election results obviously poll results can be questioned as well. I don't think Bernie was too radical to be elected, but it's certainly possible.

I feel like it's also reasonable to suppose that many people thought "I agree more with Bernie's platform, but Biden is the safe choice and it's more important to defeat Trump" and that's why they voted for Biden, against their own beliefs. Everybody is terrified about doing a McGovern but why aren't we more scared of doing a Gore/Kerry/Hillary?

juan11

« Reply #10153 on: April 08, 2020, 09:49:02 PM »

Why can’t we do both?

renfield

« Reply #10154 on: April 08, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »

Biden is basically a Republican  ;)

:-X

Well he did campaign for Fred Upton (R) who now holds a congressional seat in Michigan and votes with Trump 95% of the time!

What other insights about how Bernie World thinks can I supply you fine gentlemen with

renfield

« Reply #10155 on: April 08, 2020, 09:51:46 PM »

Why can’t we do both?

That's why we went with Bernie and not, like, Boots Riley.

Come to think of it Boots might have had a better shot.

renfield

« Reply #10156 on: April 08, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »

I don't think we have a fair and functional democracy and I think any candidate who could actually fix that will be at a severe institutional disadvantage, regardless of the popularity of their ideas or how likable people find them.

Absolutely.  I feel that-- I was a Martin O'Malley guy ;)

<<Only registered users can see images, please register or login>>

juan11

« Reply #10157 on: April 08, 2020, 09:55:48 PM »

You sure you aren’t a Trump guy?

renfield

« Reply #10158 on: April 08, 2020, 10:04:53 PM »

A trump supporter would never admit that they didn't understand something

renfield

« Reply #10159 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:46 PM »

Anyway despite being given to glib remarks, I really do take all this stuff seriously and care about the consequences of our political decisions.

Lumpy

• FOCUS: -1126
  • Planet Mongo
« Reply #10160 on: April 09, 2020, 01:33:54 AM »

I don't think our system actually counts people who vote, no. According to the UN, our exit poll discrepancies are above the threshold where we should be considered to have fraudulent elections.

The discrepancies can be attributed to "Young people are eager to tell exit polls who they voted for. Older voters are not".

You cited the 5-4 Supreme Court as a sign that Democrats are failing. In 2004, Dumbya (a worse president than Trump) was up for re-relection against John Kerry. The Left couldn't stand Kerry and stayed home, and the worst president in our lifetimes won a 2nd term. In Dumbya's 2nd term he replaced Sandra Day O'Connor with Sam Alito, and replaced Rehnquist with John Roberts. A couple years later they did the Citizens United decision. Then they dismantled voting rights, etc etc. The Left still apparently doesn't understand the value of the judiciary, or the importance of electoral politics. Or even basic civics in some cases. I swear to God there are people in my Facebook feed who could not tell you who their State Senator is, or their State Representative, or who represents them on the City Council, or who is the Borough President. They are like people who don't pay attention to football, but then the Super Bowl rolls around and they are suddenly the real football experts.

That Lawrence O'Donnell clip is probably 20 years old.

If you call yourself the "Dirtbag Left" you shouldn't wonder why middle aged Southern black church ladies won't give your candidate a second glance. And those are the people who vote.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

• Planet Mongo
« Reply #10161 on: April 09, 2020, 01:37:44 AM »

Seriously, what is wrong with Joe Biden though? Is he mentally ill? I don't think he "pinches" this girl's nipples, but its plenty bad anyway. As a grown man, you always know where your hands are, and where they shouldn't be.

Lumpy

• Planet Mongo
« Reply #10162 on: April 09, 2020, 01:47:17 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I am very concerned about election fraud and vote tampering. But that's not why Bernie loses elections. Our electronic voting machines are not secure. Back in the day, certain boxes of paper ballots might not get delivered to headquarters. I think that's a problem as old as our country.

That's not why Bernie loses though. People like you and me care about policy but the average voter really cares much less. It's more about personality and packaging and superficial qualities (Hillary Clinton is "shrill" or "ambitious" so I'm not voting for her).

I wonder how many elections the Tea Party would have swayed, if they called themselves "the Dirtbag Right"?

Lumpy

• Planet Mongo
« Reply #10163 on: April 09, 2020, 01:53:32 AM »

I expect the Dirtbag Left to learn nothing from this election, or any other election though - they are already convinced that they are the smartest people in the room. I guess they expect we'll become the 'Dirtbag Left Nation' at some point.

juan11

« Reply #10164 on: April 09, 2020, 01:58:21 AM »

I wonder how many elections the Tea Party would have swayed, if they called themselves "the Dirtbag Right"?

Then or now? Because being a big d Deplorable is kind of in vogue with the party in power crowd. 

juan11

« Reply #10165 on: April 09, 2020, 02:00:32 AM »

After careful analysis of that video above, I think Biden may have checked that gal's oil?

juan11

« Reply #10166 on: April 09, 2020, 02:42:43 AM »

The Bros seem to think they're the only ones that "get it" but... I don't know.

Do you remember Ralph Nader in 2000?  I do, because I attended one of his rallies, still have it on micro-cassette, gave him money when I was piss poor, had one of his stickers next to an American flag sticker on the back of a clapped out '66 Volkswagen*, and voted for him.  Apologies to the people of NY, the rest of the country, Iraq, and the rest of the world, in that order, I guess.  Fuck Afghanistan though.  What?

Was eye opening.  I still remember when Bush won the first time.  Just kinda... disbelief.  Then he won again.  Lessons learned alright.  People are dumb and only getting dumber-- see the Huxley comic.  Maybe dumber is mean, but they're getting, you know...  stupider.  Or the stupid are getting louder is really it.  I should go post that on Facebook!

Martin O'Malley's failure to break through the circus organ popularity contest noise is what got us Covid-19, you know.  TOLD YOU SO.

I mean who the hell is that Irish prick anyway (is he Irish?), but of the three people offered, he was absolutely the least worst candidate.  (I mean don't really) Watch the debates again, he would have cleaned Trump's clock holes & may even have ^gasp^ done some good for the country.  Solid 30% chance.  Not too shabby!

I don't think I've ever voted for a Clinton, and certainly never for a R, except maybe locally?  I wouldn't rule it out, but I can't think of one.  Yet, Fregneld's tone seems to subtly imply I'm the problem, heh.  Like I'm the guy oiling The Machine, heh. Kids...

Anyway, that's why when I say idealism is cool. I been there, done that & still got the t-shirt, bro.  But then I heard a wise prophet speak: You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Not that's a proven winning strategy!

*that sticker got me pulled over, and getting pulled over got me in jail for the night**, heh.

**I WENT TO JAIL FOR THIS SHIT BEFORE YOU WERE EVEN BORN, REIPFULD

juan11

« Reply #10167 on: April 09, 2020, 02:47:05 AM »

I read None Dare Call it Conspiracy and None Dare Call it Treason before I read the internet and I read Ross Perot's book, and there was a giant sucking sound alright...

Bernie Bros don't read books.

juan11

« Reply #10168 on: April 09, 2020, 02:54:00 AM »

I brought up O'Malley, because you were saying something about my mom?

<<Only registered users can see images, please register or login>>

Go ahead.  Knock this muffin basket off my shoulder.  I dare you.

Lumpy

• Planet Mongo
« Reply #10169 on: April 09, 2020, 02:57:50 AM »

IMO it's possible that after 2016, it would be even harder for Bernie to win the nomination. There were a lot of voters who considered Bernie their last choice in the primary this time. You can see evidence of that in how Bernie's ceiling never went up any higher, after other candidates dropped out (Booker, Harris and even Warren). How voters flocked to Buttigieg before settling on Biden. Bernie didn't pick up any of those people. Some of that is policy based ("say no to Soshulism") and some of it is Bernie's presentation and image. But also, a percentage of the Democratic base IMO never got over how Bernie allegedly cost Clinton the election in 2016 (by not dropping out earlier, and by how some of his supporters voted for Jill Stein). In 2008 they were called PUMA's (party unity my ass) who were pissed off that Obama was the nominee, and not Clinton. And they think Bernie lost the election for Hillary in 2016. They are mostly middle aged women who know how to hold a grudge (amirightfellas?) I'd guess it's a small percentage of primary voters (20%?) but enough to lose the nomination.

Same as 2016, there were a dozen different reasons why Clinton lost, and the ones that a person focuses on reveal something about that person. If you're primarily anti-establishment, then "the DNC" (translated from Duh as "party apparatus" I guess) cost Bernie the election. It's easier for white leftists to criticize the DNC and neoliberals than to criticize middle aged Southern black church ladies, who are a cornerstone of the Democratic party. And they don't like Bernie. In 2016, 90% of them voted for Hillary not Bernie. I think we will find similar numbers in this primary as well.

juan11

« Reply #10170 on: April 09, 2020, 03:06:46 AM »

Yeah, I think it may have been worse than 90% this time.  Last time around, I thought that was unfair and I did some yelling about it, reposted the old arrest photo and all that, but that was a failure, so... abort!  Why folks thought it would be better this time, I don't know.

Lumpy

• Planet Mongo
« Reply #10171 on: April 09, 2020, 03:08:19 AM »

Fregneld's tone seems to subtly imply I'm the problem, heh.  Like I'm the guy oiling The Machine, heh.

According to the Dirtbag Left, there's nothing worse than being a Liberal. Not even Trump voters are worse, see, because Trump voters are just misled and misunderstood, and they are good people who were abandoned by the Democratic party (a monolithic entity). That's why Republicans voted for Trump, duh!!!!! Because of Liberals.

When Liberals voted for Kerry in 2004 to try to end the Bush presidency and save the Supreme Court, big mistake! Liberals should have stayed home and "sent a message", like the Left did. That would have accomplished something (let me check my notes what that would have been).

I'm being sarcastic of course. Of all the different voting demographics, there is no segment of voters that is less cared about than "voters who stay home". Literally no politician in America gives a shit what "non-participants" want.

juan11

« Reply #10172 on: April 09, 2020, 03:11:08 AM »

The Dirtbag Left are kinda jerks.

Lumpy

• Planet Mongo
« Reply #10173 on: April 09, 2020, 03:14:56 AM »

I'm sure they are nice people who were just misled. They are getting high on their own supply. Know how many DSA members there are, nationwide? Wikipedia says it's less than 50,000. Nation wide!

Bernie's strategy to win... bring out a whole sea of voters who never voted before. Fucking magical thinking.

mortlock

• FOCUS: 112
    • HADES MINING CO
« Reply #10174 on: April 09, 2020, 10:56:55 AM »

Surely biden has a chance to beat trump. As much as he sucks he has to have a chance.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 424