Skeletonwitch/Misery Index/JFAC- 12/19/10 Canal Club Richmond VA

Started by H. H. Word, December 21, 2010, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H. H. Word

Anybody on this board go to shows?

I saw Skeletonwitch and Misery Index as one last gasp of pre-xmas rock, and I had to slum hard to do so.  Slumming means going to the 'nightlife district' to a 'concert venue' to pay 'money' to see 'professional bands'.  Professional metal bands that is, typified by the headline act, the group so poorly named I can barely bring myself to type it without throwing in the word 'blow' somewhere, Job For A Cowboy.  Trap Them dropped off this tour last week which made justifying the $18 ticket price slightly harder, but I was paying my respects to Skeletonwitch, a band that played Richmond often before they grabbed the ring, that glistening, golden ring that gathers you up and carries you away to that magical world where your band tours opening for Job For A Cowboy.  Skeletonwitch played a fine set, some old jams, and mentioned the days when they used to come to Richmond (and smoke weed here!).  So I felt my cash was acceptably spent.  Before them was Misery Index, a band I've only seen 2-3 times, and whose repertoire I am not really familiar with, but their set was tight, and they are a righteous and competant death-metal band, I can see how they would do well with crowds worldwide, as they seem to be in Chile or Japan or Croatia every time I see their tour dates.  Solid shit.  Good on 'em.

Job for a Cowboy wasn't as god-awful as I expected, but they weren't good either.  One thing in their favor, their bassist quit (again, last week- do the musicians know something about this tour the fans don't?), and they went on without a replacement.  After a few songs I split.

Party starts over once the stench of Jesus' repugnant afterbirth subsides.  See you in the pit* bitches.

*BBQ pit