Post Your Jams, Improvs, One-Offs and Practices

Started by Dave J, January 19, 2018, 05:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonergrunge

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

renfield

a few live recordings as I continue to engage in sonic masturbation with the Ditto x4. I really need to add some background vocal clips to these to make them sound less inert.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/renfield666/153a[/soundcloud]

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/renfield666/151a[/soundcloud]

Lumpy

Redacted
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

Lumpy

Gabriel is my friend, so he's obviously lying to protect my feelings. (Disco Rice)

renfield

Okay but when have I ever gone out of my way to protect your feelings  ;D

Lumpy

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

my poor neighbors had to listen to me playing this riff stoned out of my mind for like 20 minutes

dong ytown

Mayor of Y-town.

RAGER

I'd love to gear it dong but I don't have media fire. Do you SoundCloud?
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Mediafire is a file host, like Dropbox. If you click the link, it will give you the option to download his file.

Muffin Man

It's a cool guitar expression. Its a windows wma file that mac won't play so I converted it to WAV using Audacity so I could play it on mac. Used the Audacity normalizer effect to make it louder. Dong, if you want the wav file I could post it here. I don't have a file host to otherwise upload it to.

Lumpy

It plays on my Mac just fine. That mediafire link says the WMA file is compatible with Mac.

Muffin Man

Oh okay. I have itunes "disabled" so I have my hoops to run through, which are ridinkudonk. Anywho, how do we all get along. Is Rager talikng about collaborating via Soundcloud, or to the point. How does dong get his virual band hooked up? I have no clue and have a short temper so its got to be easy-peasy.

dong ytown

I think those are wav files, they're 15 years old and I have 50 of them. Now I have 50 new ones recorded on my phone and again sent to mediafire, but they're recorded unplugged while I had headphones on for my big muff sound, so I gotta run them all through a plug in and see how they come out before seeing if I have anything.

Seen somewhere someone said Reaper. Is it cheap and compatible? Been thinking about buying pro tools and a powerful laptop, then I need a dummy box and interface so I don't blow a tube amp without a cabinet, right? Been doing a little research. Was about to shell out some money but the market just tanked again and that kind of money gets tied up.
Mayor of Y-town.

dong ytown

I liked neighbor's, bro righteous', muffin man's, mortlock's, and dave j's, even the punk stuff. You guys play pretty good, that's why I posted one of mine, just picked one.
Mayor of Y-town.

Lumpy

It's nice if you can record a real amp with a microphone, but now they have pretty good digital amp simulation (they are plug ins, you use them inside your DAW aka Logic, pro tools, Reaper). It's good enough for demos and stuff.

dong ytown

But in an apartment situation I was looking to plugging my head into a dummy box  so the tubes don't blow then to a computer, or can I go pedal straight to computer? I just know I can't record unplugged, it's totally blowing it.
Mayor of Y-town.

Lumpy

Yeah it goes from your pedals into an ADC (analog digital converter) audio interface. There are tons of them, brands like Presonus, MOTU, etc. There are really expensive ones with like 8 XLR inputs if you want to record a whole band. I have one from Echo "Audiofire 2"  that has  two 1/4" inputs, and then it goes into your computer with FireWire. It was like $100, I saw good review that said it's a good brand and I got the cheapest simplest one. On the back there's also two outputs that go to my monitors (I usually use headphones and leave the monitors off). It's a little expensive hobby but if you start with an interface that's enough.

They even have guitar cables with 1/4" on one side, and USB one the other, those are like $40 (not that much more than a regular guitar cable).

I also use a little direct box at the end of my pedal chain, it's a preamp/overdrive, it just seems to make the guitar sound nicer.  Sansamp Paradriver by Tech 21, it has EQ and I can adjust the tone that way. Pedals into Sansamp into the ADC into the computer. You can find stuff used on Reverb because a lot of people start small like me and then expand. It might be harder to find deals because of the pandemic, I don't know. Probably any Sansamp will work.

I forget which amp simulator plug ins are good, you can get expensive ones, Logic has ones that comes included (Amp Designer). There are free ones (Guitar Amp Pro, either I gout it free or it comes with Logic.) Lately I just use synths direct into the computer and I record guitars at my practice space. But amp simulators let you pick which kind of amp, which kind of mic etc.

You should get an audio interface first probably and then see what you think.

You have a PC? Then probably get Reaper. You can keep renewing your free license, or buy it for like $60. If you have a Mac you can use Garage Band, it usually comes free. Logic is like an expanded version of Garage Band. I use Logic Express the cheaper version which doesn't have Midi or a library of instruments because I don't need that.

Lumpy

You can also use Audacity, you don't need a whole fancy DAW like GarageBand, Reaper etc if you're not trying to build a complex track. To just share files, trim the beginning, find the good sections, etc, you can get by with Audacity. Then you don't have to learn a complicated software, at least not right away.

For the DI box, probably anything that says Sansamp will work.

You can learn how to use the software with YouTube videos.