Amphetamine Reptile Records

Started by mortlock, April 11, 2018, 07:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

I was absolutely crazy for everything this label released in the 90s. it seemed to be exactly what the doctor ordered especially since metal seemed to be at a bad spot in its history. loved most sub pop releases too.
ive noticed with the exception of very few albums most of the releases didn't really stand the test of time for me. I listen back now to some of those records and theres nothing that hits me like it once did.
I wish that wasn't the case but it is and im not sure how records that once totally blew me away lost most of there appeal. especially considering how some metal records ive heard a million times (master of puppets for one) still sound awesome to me. wtf.   

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

mortlock

yeah great band. I had the honor of opening for them once in tempe az. I still like them. still like tad and unsane. kingsnakeroost still hits the spot. not much else though.

Lumpy

Loved: Helios Creed, Halo of Flies (Tom Hazelmeyer's band, they have a pretty killer compilation LP), Helmet
Liked: TAD, Jesus Lizard, Unsane, Hammerhead
Okay: God Bullies
Didn't work for me at all: Janitor Joe, Surgery, Boss Hog, Tar
Never saw, don't know: a lot (Cows, Guzzard, Supernova, Chokebore)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Click

I get Decibel magazine and they use AmRep as a genre, or descriptive term.  They did seem to have an aesthetic. Well maybe " sound" or production style.  I like  HalofFlies a bunch but they are kinda an outlier on AmRep.  Wish I still had the singles or tape , but the cdofeverything is a good one. I was listening to Love666 today, probably one of their lesser know units. Slow to mid paced thumping that bridges 1st l.p. Stooges. Dub, old hip- hop for the bottom with nice grungy/bad acid guitaring and zoner fucktheman lyrics.  The band Wrong seems to be hitting the area. I also think of  David Sardys production kinda thumping base roll, his own thing Bark Market and . Quicksand..plus a good unit from Canada I'm too lazy to walk up Stars to find it.

tastelikedirt

I liked these as far as albums go. A bunch of 7 inchers too.

BOSS HOG   DRINKIN,LETCHIN,&LYIN
HELMET   STRAP IT ON
COWS   CUNNING STUNTS
HAMMERHEAD   ETHEREAL KILLER
COWS   SEXY PEE STORY

stooge

one of the coolest labels ever for sure
glad this sound is back now with bands like wrong and whores.
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

renfield

robotgoesnuts swore by this shit and made me listen to all of it. In my opinion he was correct and I never really heard a single bad record on this label. At the same time I was discovering Nomeansno and MX-80 Sound and it was just like, holy shit there's so much crazy stuff you can do with music. That song "Cabin Man" by Cows for example, or the the famous crowd banter in NMN's "2 Lips 2 Lungs and 1 Tongue", or the fucking list of facts about words that start with the letter L in that MX80 song.

It's all part of a theme of format fuckery and lawlessness in my mind and music has never been the same for me since.

Sprague Dawley

Total stiffy: Cows, Unsane, Jesus Lizard (although werent they T&G?)

got 1st LP but it wasnt all that: Helios Creed,

no recollection: TAD, Halo of Flies 

need more than just 2 7"s by: Hammerhead (offshoot VAZ was great, the micronesia lp)

Didn't work for me at all: Janitor Joe, Surgery, Boss Hog, Guzzard, Supernova, Chokebore, God Bullies

Sprague Dawley

Quote from: renfield on January 10, 2019, 09:45:29 PM
It's all part of a theme of format fuckery and lawlessness in my mind and music has never been the same for me since.
A first consciousness thing?

Dylan Thomas

I was also disappointed by Surgery.  I expected more, they got a lot of hype back in the day.

I liked Hammerhead, though I haven't listened to them in forever.

Helios Creed was better with Chrome.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Stonergrunge

Almost the only stuff that I buy on a regular basis is from AmRep...

The cheapy $5 CDs line has been great, can't complain.

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

Sprague Dawley

fuckign CHERUBS. I want a plain copy of that Heroin Man lp. Fuck Amrep for whatever the fuck theyre doing with these limited boutique vinyl reissue runs with the identikit jackets. Pressing 100 copies ffs. Way to guarantee no one listens to a single one and the whole lot end up on ebay as unplayed trophies for some saddo 50-year old trainspotting cunt clutching fruitlessly for his long-gone glory days of 1991.