Main Menu

Stupid Broken Band Survey

Started by Hemisaurus, April 02, 2011, 10:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 04, 2011, 01:22:53 PM
What's up for grabs?
Thats so funny! In reference to the thread, if you quit that frees up potential musicians.

Patience. It will happen when the time is right.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Discö Rice

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 04, 2011, 01:21:19 PM
Getting majorly frustrated, this was going to be my last serious run at a band, and I've already wasted 3 years just trying to put it together personnel-wise. Ready to fucking quit and sell all my gear.

Like Lumpy said - come to Brooklyn. There's a ton of people out here that would work with you.

Me, for example. Heh.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Wesogkan

Quote from: hayseed on April 04, 2011, 02:42:40 PM
What's up for grabs?
Thats so funny! In reference to the thread, if you quit that frees up potential musicians.

It does? how so?

I'm done being patient, I need to quit or move, there's no one here apparently and I'm literally wasting my life waiting around for something to happen.  

Thanks for the offer, but sorry guys, you couldn't pay me to live in NYC. Ever. I hate visiting that place as it is. I think there's too many people and too much concrete around here, that place is downright claustrophobic.

VOLVO)))

V4's are mine  ;D

In all seriousness, man, if you have all this pent up creativity and you want to play music/have the skills, the solo band route isn't all bad. You have 100% creative and financial control of the band. Shit, a looper pedal and a drum set + lots of amps will do it for you...

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Wesogkan

Ok, that was awesome...but would not work at all for my song arrangements/style. It would work for the band I play drums in, slow and simplistic like Om. But try doing Mastodon/Thin Lizzy type stuff yourself. 

Discö Rice

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 04, 2011, 03:17:42 PM
Quote from: hayseed on April 04, 2011, 02:42:40 PM
What's up for grabs?

It does? how so?

I'm done being patient, I need to quit or move, there's no one here apparently and I'm literally wasting my life waiting around for something to happen.  

Sorry guys, you couldn't pay me to live in NYC. Ever. I hate visiting that place as it is.

I've been here for 5 months. The people are great, the food's great, and if you're ever bored, it's your own fault.  Not saying you have to come here but a change of scenery may be a more positive alternative than giving up music entirely.

Wesogkan

A change of scenery is definitely in order...but how many 2BR apartments in Brooklyn have hardwood floors and a big backyard for $800/month or less? And I can't legally grow pot in NY, major bummer there.

I'm at my jaded and pessimistic best right now, sorry for the downer. I don't mean to be a drag but there's a drummer I've been chasing/trying to poach and I'm getting totally cunt-blocked on a jam session. And no bass player. Holy fucking frustrating.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 04, 2011, 03:19:07 PM
V4's are mine  ;D

In all seriousness, man, if you have all this pent up creativity and you want to play music/have the skills, the solo band route isn't all bad. You have 100% creative and financial control of the band. Shit, a looper pedal and a drum set + lots of amps will do it for you...

and to think I've watched Doom bands with up to 5 people do less. I'm thinking more and more it's a genre dedicated solely to the purpose of showing off amplifier collections. Eh... anyway...

Discö Rice

Quotehow many 2BR apartments in Brooklyn have hardwood floors and a big backyard for $800/month or less? And I can't legally grow pot in NY, major bummer there.

Not many, but what it does have is opportunity. Shit tons.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 04, 2011, 03:42:52 PM
A change of scenery is definitely in order...but how many 2BR apartments in Brooklyn have hardwood floors and a big backyard for $800/month or less? And I can't legally grow pot in NY, major bummer there.
Shit, I pay less than that for my house, houses in rural IL are stupid cheap, like under $30K for 3 bedroom with space. Mine has this for a jam space.

Then again, there's nobody to play with, unless you like piss-poor coverbands, all the bars want to book, all the people want to hear :(

Lumpy

Yeah but who's gotta mow that lawn?  ^^^

Weskogan, once you get the band together, is there any local places for you to play?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

3.5 acres, takes me about 5 hours. :-\

Wesogkan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 04, 2011, 05:44:31 PM
Shit, I pay less than that for my house, houses in rural IL are stupid cheap, like under $30K for 3 bedroom with space. Mine has this for a jam space.

That's badass. But it does involve being landlocked in IL.

Wesogkan

Quote from: Lumpy on April 04, 2011, 05:51:16 PM

Weskogan, once you get the band together, is there any local places for you to play?

Yep, there's clubs in Providence 10 mins away, Actually, Weedeater played 3 blocks from my space last month. Worcester, MA 40 mins away, Boston an hour away, the south shore, CT is less than an hour away I think, Western MA, and NH is an hour and a half. I'm in the middle of New England, I'd say there's a fuckload of places to play. And a music scene with bands getting signed left and right...and no one to jam with. Come on down!

xander face

you can grow weed legally in New England?

dude that's awesome.

oh and c'mon guys: Doom has always been a genre dedicated to showing off amp collections.  i thought that became apparent when a band called SUNNO))) became hugely successful (for a doom band).

xander face

oh and uhm to be on topic:

i am a guitarist / bassist who plays punky bluesy metal

all the blues guys i play with think i'm too sloppy
all the punks i play with think i'm too technical
all the metal guys i play with just think i suck

so i spend a lot of time practicing

Instant Dan

I always think it's funny when bands try so hard to be technical and precise when the reality is most people ,outside of other guys intentionally looking for it, don't notice it.

inductorguitars

As Sunn 0))) beat me to the punch. I'll say that recording software is so cheap now that you can be a one man band easily.  That stupid Day by day song on my site was a midi file that I was helping a friend out with and done completely in Reason. (I hate mixing in Reason.) you are only limited to HD space.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Instant Dan on April 04, 2011, 07:57:34 PM
I always think it's funny when bands try so hard to be technical and precise when the reality is most people ,outside of other guys intentionally looking for it, don't notice it.

VIBE!!!

Wesogkan

Quote from: xander face on April 04, 2011, 07:45:26 PM
you can grow weed legally in New England?

dude that's awesome.

oh and c'mon guys: Doom has always been a genre dedicated to showing off amp collections.  i thought that became apparent when a band called SUNNO))) became hugely successful (for a doom band).

RI, VT, and ME...3 of the 15 medical marijuana states are in New England

giantchris

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 04, 2011, 05:44:31 PM
Quote from: Wesogkan on April 04, 2011, 03:42:52 PM

Then again, there's nobody to play with, unless you like piss-poor coverbands, all the bars want to book, all the people want to hear :(
Yeah rural IL is crazy cheap.  I'll say this though the people down there are awfully nice.  My great aunt just passed away down in Ziegler IL and no one wants her house I've been debating whether to move down there and get a job in Marion or Carbondale.  I think the house is valued at like 15k or something and its a 2 bedroom.  The Shawnee national forest is absolutely badass for hiking too.

Hemisaurus

Yeah man, it's nice down there, and you got your own personal luthier just up the road. Zuni Guitars up in Alto Pass.

Finding a band however will be a bitch :(

Wesogkan

I got stiffed at band (other band) practice tonight, no one else showed up. I feel a total meltdown coming on...

Discö Rice

Quote from: Wesogkan on April 06, 2011, 11:45:24 PM
I got stiffed at band (other band) practice tonight, no one else showed up. I feel a total meltdown coming on...
Hehe rightly so.

mortlock

it took me over a year to put my current band together..and i was fortunate to have managed to pull it off at all. kind of in the right place at the right time when i found the missing piece to the puzzle..i dont think relocation is the answer, but you may have to be willing to travel for it..