Main Menu

short scale basses

Started by mortlock, April 05, 2011, 10:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

im starting to seriously think about going to a short scale bass. unfortunately because of lower back problems and fretting hand finger/knuckle arthritic issues. the 1st fret to 4th fret spread is getting painful..and my lower back is shit.
i hate getting older..fuck..

anyone got any advice..
im looking at the fender mustang bass..but all options are open.

Instant Dan

If you got the cash, a lot of those Gibsons like their EB (SG bass) or Ripper have short scales, the Rickenbacker is a little shorter than a standard '34 but only by an inch.

mortlock

yeah except, if im not mistaken the ripper is one heavy ass bass....im looking to drop a few lbs for the lower back..

Hemisaurus

Stay away from the epi sg, it's a neckdive monster, won't help your back.

rondomusic have a fair number of short scales. jaguar style, viola basses are short scale too.

VOLVO)))

The Original Ripper is a boat anchor.

This is one I refinished for a good buddy, it's all maple, and sounds so good acoustically I almost didn't want to plug it in. Good basses. Weight: 14 pounds.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

i think 14 is just barely heavier than what i am currently playing..the mustang comes in at like 7.5 or something..

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mortlock on April 05, 2011, 11:10:49 PM
i think 14 is just barely heavier than what i am currently playing..the mustang comes in at like 7.5 or something..

I mean, once you bandsaw that fucking headstock, and put a big silver tele pickup in it, you might be happy with something like that...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

aren't the ripper and grabber both 34" anyways?

mortlock

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 05, 2011, 11:24:25 PM
Quote from: mortlock on April 05, 2011, 11:10:49 PM

I mean, once you bandsaw that fucking headstock, and put a big silver tele pickup in it, you might be happy with something like that...
i think i added 2 lbs with the tele bass pup..seriously. i pushed it over the edge..

VOLVO)))

I guess so, I thought they made some short scale Reissue ones... the fuck?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

There was an ugly epi reissue with pj pickups. dont know the scale.

crunkhero

The Rippers and Grabbers (and reissues) were all 34.5" scale.  Honestly, the Squier Bronco is a very fun bass if you do a good setup on it.  Plus, they're cheap as hell.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

Lumpy

Mustangs are punchy and don't really have the thunderous lows of a Jazz bass. I'm going to guess the same is true of the Bronco. It's not bad, but it will sound different than what you're used to. It might not matter at all - you're not playing rock style on it.

What about a violin style bass (they weigh like 4 pounds) or a SG body style. Both of those can be surprisingly deep.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

zachoff

The Ibanez shortys are real nice but the tone is a little blah.  The Hagstroms are the best these days, IMO.  Awesome basses with cool electronic configs.  I played a newer 12 string last year about this time that was so much damn fun... Didn't want to put it down.

The 70s Guild JSB is my current want to play short scale though.  They look awesome and probably are.

bloodofkings

The Hamer Slammer basses are short scale. I remember the last one I played feeling pretty light too. Can't remember the actual weight. They're loaded with two Music Man type humbuckers. It sounded pretty righteous and a price that wasn't bank breaking.
I can't crap for shit.

grimniggzy

I'd say a Mustang is really the first place to look. That's where I'd go but I'm a Fender freak. I just don't have one b/c I own 2 Precisions and a Jazz already.

I have an Ampeg Plexi-Bass Reissue and I think its really great for a short scale. Gets deep almost like a P-Bass and when you turn the tone knob up theres some sweet Jazz & MM tones in there. It sounds great played with a pick or with fingers, with flats or rounds on it...plus it's see-through. haha.

Discö Rice

The only downside to the plexis is the weight, which is I think the main issue. Have you considered Daisy Rock's fine assortment of short scale basses?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Daisy-Rock-Daisy-Bass?sku=513071

I would gig with the with the white one.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

LogicalFrank

That would totally work for a psych band.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Discö Rice

Quote from: LogicalFrank on April 06, 2011, 11:06:17 AM
That would totally work for a psych band.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 06, 2011, 10:57:41 AM
The only downside to the plexis is the weight, which is I think the main issue. Have you considered Daisy Rock's fine assortment of short scale basses?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Daisy-Rock-Daisy-Bass?sku=513071

I would gig with the with the white one.

True, that thing is damn near the weight of one of my regular scale Fenders.

I'd be looking at a Mustang for sure.

giantchris

Gibson EB-0s or EB-3s?  If you can find one that doesn't neck nice like a motherfucker they are awfully nice.

hayseed

2 questions kind of pertaining to this:
Are the Epiphone EB-0's or EB- 3's worth checking out or are they junk?
&
Did Epi make a Ripper model?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

zachoff

Quote from: hayseed on April 06, 2011, 01:41:28 PM
2 questions kind of pertaining to this:
Are the Epiphone EB-0's or EB- 3's worth checking out or are they junk?
&
Did Epi make a Ripper model?

EB-3s are normal (34") scale and they neck dive like crazy.  They're also pretty low output.  Mine's for sale.

Lumpy

Since he wants to switch for 'ergonomic' reasons, he needs to try some basses out in person, to see how they fit. Also, a new string spacing to contend with (for the bow). Bummer, dude, you gotta go bass shopping.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

I have a  Musicmaster from the 70's. It is a really nice bass. very lightweight and easy to play. great neck.
plus they are super cheap even vintage ones. Mine was $250 a few years ago. okay, more like ten years ago i guess.

i have a grabber and its long scale and weighs a ton , great bass also.

Ive tried the sg shaped gibson basses that are short scale and thought they were wonderful with big fat necks I liked alot.
Ive tried a reissue and a vintage one and they compatred very favorably to each other. i beleive they are more expensive than their fender cunterparts tho.
Id go MUstang or Musicmaster.
My musicmaster looks like this one.

I thinkn WYman maybe used a mustang?

I like lumpys idea of the beatle bass. you cant get much lghter than that.
How bout a steinberger? are they klong or short scale?