Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

Entre Nos
Follows this Colombian immigrant lady in NYC who is in need of money after her husband leaves her and two kids. Finds a way. Good a bit too melodramatic at times though.

whoshotthefrog

Mesrine: Part 1: Killer Instinct
Mesrine: Part 2: Public Enemy #1

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

diasdegalvan

Witchfinder General - A bit dissapointed by this cult favorite albeit the performance by Vincent Price was great.

Let the Right One in - Great

Alucarda - After reading some reviews about and images after watching it was everything I hoped it would be.

The Shocker

Species.  I remember thinking this was pretty good when I saw it at the theater.  Years later I realized I was a fucking idiot back then, the movie is total cheese crap.  Natasha Henstridge looked good though... 

lowdaddy

i just rewatched red dragon which is a remake of manhunter.  i was kind of wondering if i would still like it as much as i used to, as deaner mentioned above.  i did.  it holds up really well.  i was home alone when i watched it and i looked over my shoulder several times.  now that's a scary movie.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

The Shocker

Just watched Raising Arizona for the millionth time.  Fucking masterpiece and the ONLY movie where I like Nicolas Cage 100% in it.

edit:  I remember Red Dragon being better than Manhunter (way too Miami Vice), but still paling next to Silence Of The Lambs.  May need to re-watch it.

lftwng4

Quote from: diasdegalvan on April 12, 2011, 02:55:29 AM
Witchfinder General - A bit dissapointed by this cult favorite albeit the performance by Vincent Price was great.

Let the Right One in - Great

Alucarda - After reading some reviews about and images after watching it was everything I hoped it would be.

Is Alucarda the Spanish one from the 70's?  I've been wanting to see that.
Took a day off work Monday;

Four Flies on Gray Velvet
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
The Severed Arm

lowdaddy

just re-watched jesus' son.  spectacularly hilarious and sad.  this is the sort of movie that's right up my alley.  i've been in most of the situations portrayed in this film and understand why they are untouchably funny.  i also understand that sense you start getting toward the end of the movie...that desire to go back in time a little bit.  to a time when life was free and wild and filled with hilarity...and the dawning realization that you can never get back there.  not living the way you've been living or any other way.  it's gone forever and the more you try to get it back the worse it's gonna get.  so where do you go from here?

The Shocker

Quote from: lowdaddy on April 14, 2011, 09:11:06 PM
just re-watched jesus' son.  spectacularly hilarious and sad.  this is the sort of movie that's right up my alley.  i've been in most of the situations portrayed in this film and understand why they are untouchably funny.  i also understand that sense you start getting toward the end of the movie...that desire to go back in time a little bit.  to a time when life was free and wild and filled with hilarity...and the dawning realization that you can never get back there.  not living the way you've been living or any other way.  it's gone forever and the more you try to get it back the worse it's gonna get.  so where do you go from here?

YES!  LOVE that movie.  So bizarre and a little bit of Holly Hunter nudity doesn't hurt.  Was it on a movie channel or DVD?  Have you seen High Life? That movie had the same tone - a dreamy druglike state...

lowdaddy

Quote from: deaner33 on April 14, 2011, 09:17:13 PM
Quote from: lowdaddy on April 14, 2011, 09:11:06 PM

YES!  LOVE that movie.  So bizarre and a little bit of Holly Hunter nudity doesn't hurt.  Was it on a movie channel or DVD?  Have you seen High Life? That movie had the same tone - a dreamy druglike state...

watched it streaming on netflix.  samantha morton is fucking stunning in this one deaner!  that scene where he first meets her and she's dancing....drool!drool!drool!  jesus, what a sexpot.  i haven't seen high life.  don't think i've ever heard of it.  i'll definately check it out.  thanks for the heads up.   :)

The Shocker

Yeah, she's hot and Jack Black doesn't exactly play himself like he does in every other movie.  Plus a movie with a Louvin Brothers song can't be bad.

diasdegalvan

Quote from: lftwng4 on April 13, 2011, 10:25:33 PM
Is Alucarda the Spanish one from the 70's?  I've been wanting to see that.

Yep it is. Tina Romero is mesmerizing as Alucarda.

Re-watched Children of Men. Great film. Some flaws though one flaw I saw in the film is the Fishes almost magical ability to track down the protagonists (discovery of the secret hideout of Jasper then at the refugee camp same crew too).

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

neighbor664

The Shocker

Rewatched Severance.  Very funny and the blonde chick is so hot.  Too bad she didn't get naked - I won't hold it against her.

lftwng4

Home sick again:

The Lost Continent(Hammer)
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Deep Red

The Shocker

Animal Kingdom.  I debated posting a thread on it, but really it was just another crime movie.  Good, but nothing that special.

lowdaddy

i thought animal kingdom was terrific.  weird, creepy characterizations...especially the older brother and the mother.  i really liked how the narrative didn't confine itself to the criminal world but showed how the criminal world intruded on the straight world.  also, how did the cops get away with blasting that motherfucker in his car, unarmed?  that was never addressed and, among other things, gave the film a really creepy, surreal feeling.  i dug it alot.

The Shocker

I was just a little disappointed after all the good reviews, oscar nomination, hype, etc.  I did like how the director was able to keep up the tension throughout the movie and the acting was very good.

giantchris

Quote from: diasdegalvan on April 14, 2011, 10:11:28 PM
Quote from: lftwng4 on April 13, 2011, 10:25:33 PM
Is Alucarda the Spanish one from the 70's?  I've been wanting to see that.

Yep it is. Tina Romero is mesmerizing as Alucarda.

Re-watched Children of Men. Great film. Some flaws though one flaw I saw in the film is the Fishes almost magical ability to track down the protagonists (discovery of the secret hideout of Jasper then at the refugee camp same crew too).
Thats a great movie though you gotta admit the urban warfare scene at the end where hes running around getting shot at is riveting.  That was the most realistic action scene I've seen in years.

I saw Source Code it was pretty good.  It kept the story about the people and didn't go into too much detail explaining the physics of it which is what most good sci-fi movies do.  I still thought Moon was a better movie for Duncan Jones.

diasdegalvan

Quote from: giantchris on April 20, 2011, 06:54:06 PM
Thats a great movie though you gotta admit the urban warfare scene at the end where hes running around getting shot at is riveting.  That was the most realistic action scene I've seen in years.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I loved the movie that was just a minor complaint from the film.

diasdegalvan

tobbyhot

Recently I seen this one and after watching I was speechless. Christiane Bell won the best supporting actor's academy award for this.

diasdegalvan

Night of the Hunted (La Nuit des TraquƩes) (1980)
First film I've seen by Jean Rollin and liked it. Good plot characters. Nice to see that redhead naked. Disliked the fact that it had a 15 minute sex scene I mean really there was no reason for it to be that long and the transfer to DVD wasn't very good. I'm now interested in seeing Fascination and Grapes of Death not sure about his other films.

whoshotthefrog