Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

Went to see the new Dungeons and Dragons movie, which I'd heard from multiple people was a good flick, surprisingly.

Yeah, I enjoyed it and thought it was quite fun.  It's not going to win any awards nor blow any minds with its depth of storytelling or characterization, and I liked it a lot better than most of the crap that's in the theaters nowadays. 
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Muffin Man

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn
Dark humour gold w/ busting-out lollers. Heavy acting (too real?) between Robin Williams and Mila Kunis. 6.5/10? Nah 7.5 looking at 8.5. Added to the re-watch list immediately. Cine, script, casting. ba-boom. Those two were actually Oscar level with some little-itty bit of overacting. Odd-Couple thing happening but  no repeat, too bad, one and done. I found the artistry of the entire production remarkable....

Big buckets of buttered popcorn even if some kernels were not popped (obvious)

Muffin Man

Drowning Mona
Yep. Detective twister cartooney romp. Not sure I caught the ending but that part did't seem to matter, Goofy done well. Well done goofyness. MIght even be good for the dvd collection. Korny Saturday afternoon TV one-off. 1-2 thumbs up.

sleestak

Quote from: Muffin Man on June 07, 2023, 05:36:38 AMBig buckets of buttered popcorn even if some kernels were not popped (obvious)
Defective. Send them back.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

RAGER

Reality. Very clunky. I guess it's a movie. They tried too hard to get the actual dialogue perfect. Meh.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

spooky season report!

UNFRIENDED - a movie that takes place entirely on a computer screen, with people skyping each other and stuff. It doesn't really make a lot of sense (no consistently-defined rules for how this movie's little world works) but basically the ghost of a girl who these high school brats bullied into committing suicide is ruining their reputation by posting things to their social media, and then possessing them and making them kill themselves as well. A huge pain in my ass.

UNFRIENDED 2 - DARK WEB - aside from taking place also entirely on a computer screen, it's a completely different plot. A guy finds a bunch of snuff films or something on a second-hand laptop and him and his friends get drawn into a murder cult's sadistic plot. Some attempt is made to keep things actually grounded and realistic (it's not actually realistic), with the villains using their godlike hacking skills to do control technology and bring our heroes down. Like for example they SWAT one of the protagonists. Much nastier and more cruel than the first one, and much better.

JENNIFER'S BODY - Finally caught up with this one. Diablo Cody-penned shlock about Megan Fox being a demongirl. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't work in it, but even that stuff still lent it an individuality and character that I feel is super lacking from a lot of the movies I see these days. Really enjoyed this one, it reminded me a lot of GINGER SNAPS.

THE BABYSITTER and BABYSITTER 2: KILLER QUEEN - Goofy spookablasts with gory kills and great performances from Samara Weaving and our newest scream queen Jennifer Ortega. I've already kinda forgotten them though.

DEVIL'S ISLAND - very well-made but kind of slight and over as soon as it starts picking up steam. The main character is a total smokeshow and I might have annoyed my wife a bit by how much I commented on that throughout the film. It's about a girl who inherits a house on a tiny island in a lake community and there's a deathcult that starts harassing her. It seems like maybe they ran out of money halfway through the production here.

DOCTOR SLEEP - Well fuck me sideways did you know that they let the bozo who makes horror shows for Netflix do a sequel to THE SHINING?? I fucking loved this film actually and thought it told a really compelling story with memorable and terrifying characters. My one critique is that (spoilers) when they eventually do wind up back at the Overlook and trot out all our favorite ghosts, it compares  so poorly to the Kubrick film that it really kinda fucks the whole thing up. But the first 3/4 of the movie when it's doing it's own thing are amazing.  Rose the Hat is one of the most formidable villains I've seen in some time, and the image of her flying across the world to find you where you sleep would have fucked me right up as a child.

SPUTNIK - Russian film about an alien parasite (or symbiote  :o ) that arrives on earth in the body of a cosmonaut. A doctor who is so damn ethical that her career is being questioned because she dared to save a child's life while disregarding The Rules is recruited to try and separate the alien from the cosmonaut so that USSR's hero can be paraded out in front of everybody and also so USSR can weaponize the alien itself. This was a fucking great movie where the doctor and the evil military guy who is making her do this stuff are engaged in this game of chess with each other as they both navigate the overlap and discrepancy in their goals. Cool alien effects, too.

RAGER

The whole of Devils Island looks to be on YouTube.

Kinda Billie Eyelash lookin.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I could type a book about my thoughts on the Shining/Dr Sleep book/movie universe, but I'll keep it short.  I liked Dr Sleep the movie quite a lot.  Watched it last week actually.  I want to leave the room when they pick up the baseball kid.  The Shining movie is also great, but I understand King's beef with it, altered theme and whatnot.  

Vinyls.   deal.

renfield

I haven't read the books but I'm familiar with the changes Kubrick made. Seems like Doctor Sleep (the movie) did a few clever things to reconcile those differences and also bring in some of the King material that Kubrick changed (like burning down the Overlook).

The scene with the baseball kid is so rough. He asks "are you going to hurt me?" and Rose responds " ;)  Yeahhhhhh....  :D " TERRIFYING.

Pissy

Right, they did tie in the Overlook's demise nicely.  

It's not enough that King needs to have kids die brutally in his stories, he also needs to make them suffer.  He needs to make sure there's reasons for the suffering. 

I would have him write his stories no other way.  
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

I can get behind anyone who is into making kids suffer.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/