Metroid clones

Started by renfield, December 03, 2018, 11:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

They're also called "metroidvanias" when they combine elements of Metroid and Castlevania. There are so many great indie titles coming out in this category.

The basic premise is that it's one big open 2D world, and the only thing that prevents you from getting to certain areas is that you can't walk up walls or double jump or turn into a smaller version of yourself. As you beat Bosses and progress through areas you GAIN all those abilities, and can therefore access other the previously inaccessible areas.

If you're not an idiot and loved Super Metroid then I highly recommend you check out some of these games.
Guacamelee
Ori and the Blind Forest
Hollow Knight
Shovel Knight

nyarlathotep

I liked Guacamelee a lot, haven't gotten to the rest yet. If you like Metroidvanias but also are interested in Rogue-like games, maybe try Dead Cells - it's a Metroidvania-ish rogue-like platformer, which means areas connect to each other, but are randomized a little bit, and if you die you start at the beginning but with a few permanent upgrades unlocked if you get far enough. Super fun combat and nice visuals - put a solid 20 hours into it.

socket

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is excellent. Blaster Mater Zero is cool, too. Both by Inti Creates. You mention some other good ones and some I need to check out. Mercenary Kings was cool and I only ever played it single player.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

Awesome guys, those are all new titles to me. Or I should say, WERE new titles.. I'm 9 hours into Dead Cells and deeply obsessed.

renfield

just finished Ori 2. i'm in emotional ruins now

what an amazing game, what incredible artwork

renfield

another one i played recently was the Sundered. heavy lovecraft elements. batshit.

RalphSnart_2

I got an XBox One and I've spent a lot of time playing these Metroidvanias

Chasm (old school feel, leveling up and better weapons, SOTN style)
Salt And Sanctuary (heavy Dark Souls influence but fits the bill, upgrades, interlocking areas)
Strider (the new one obviously, weapon and ability upgrades, takes place in one giant military base)
Shadow Complex (similar to the Strider remake)

Sundered, Dead Cells are on my list. I've looked at a shit ton of others too.

socket

Axiom Verge is fantastic

Dead Cells is great, too.

I also got Blasphemous recently, seems pretty cool.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

Yeah Axiom Verge was fucking great. Great music, story, graphics, the works.