Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: The gardening thread.  (Read 4532 times)

juan11

• FOCUS: 1740
  • Total time logged in: 1 hours and 11 minutes.
Re: The gardening thread.
« Reply #275 on: May 21, 2020, 08:02:13 PM »

No, never came up. Th done I tried outdoors a couple of summers ago (I think here’s a pic here somewhere) didn’t make it very far before it was bug food, then I missed a watering while it was hot...

I’m not a real gardener.
You may take two.

MadJohnShaft

• FOCUS: -957
  • StonerRockLives 2.0 “VIP Quantum Edition”™
« Reply #276 on: May 21, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »

For the low effort and huge payout, spices and herbs are the best.   Not having to buy herbs and having them around is the best thing ever.  I put big piles of herbs underneath pork shoulders and chickens when smoking. 

Last year my Basil plant went apeshit, I made three rounds of Pesto and froze it and I still have a big dried branch hanging in the kitchen.   

I always do two cilantros and Italian and curly parsley- the cilantros don't last long here but make coriander seeds and the parsley lasts until it snows. 

I just read you can propagate rosemary as well. I am going to start getting a second basil and rosemary plant going in case the first one craps out or if it is a lean year.

Marjoram is a personal fave, since it is familiar but rarely used you might as well eat that at home.

I have a tarragon plant in a pot that is indestructible.    I cannot grow dill even though I throw the seeds around everywhere.

I use tons of thyme so I got two thymes - a english and german. Whatever that means. I just need to get about two spice jar sized worth left in fall to make it until next year. 

My Sage planting lasts about six years and then croaks. I put a new one in last year and it is flourishing.

I got ONE asparagus and ate it. One.

If you dance, you got a chance

juan11

« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2020, 08:23:34 PM »

I think you can propagate anything... I’ve got a mug of carrot tops on my mantle right now, where the TV should go. Roots are just starting to show.

<<Only registered users can see images, please register or login>>

I guess I’m doing sideways now.
You may take two.

juan11

« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »

I mean, I’ll only get carrot greens out of it, and they’re for the cats... I’m spending a lot of time at home, y’all.
You may take two.

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31:03 PM »

I grew carrots once or twice but.., we have hard clay soil so they cannot grow downwards into a carrot shape and carrots cost no money at the store and they do not taste appreciably better grown at home.  Potatoes might be in that same group. 

juan11

« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »

I grew a bunch of those round Paris market carrots last year.  Was super yummy and I felt accomplished and all that, but yeah, it’s not as sexy as opium.
You may take two.

James1214

• FOCUS: 53
« Reply #281 on: May 25, 2020, 12:30:31 AM »

I'm pretty stoked. We bought a house on just over an acre and moved in the week before California ordered the shelter in place regulations. Property came with 450 squqre feet of fenced in garden space. Spent the last week fencing in an additional 1200 square feet. Gonna grow all the food, and some weed and some poppies. Property also came with an apple tree with 4 kinds grafted in one, persimmon, 2 kinds of peach, plum, pear, fig and pomegranate. This will be the most land I've ever had to garden, and a much better climate than Berkeley or SF.

I have starts ready to go in the ground after the rain next week including 3 kinds of tomato, 3 kinds of Chiles, 3 kinds of squash, 2 kinds of cucumber, strawberries, blueberries, kale, chard, lettuce, mustard, potatoes.... And a buncha other stuff.

Can't wait for the bounty.

RAGER

• FOCUS: -3567
  • I can’t believe it’s not better.
« Reply #282 on: May 25, 2020, 02:23:53 AM »

Right on. Good to hear from you.
What’s for lunch?

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2020, 09:17:52 AM »

Fun!

James1214

« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »

Right on. Good to hear from you.

I have a working computer and internet now, unfortunately find doing the board/forum thing on a phone to be a pain in the ass. Also seeing the Emissions vids maybe made me a tad nostalgic and shit... Couple that with 2 months of isolation. Anyway, good to see familiar names.

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #285 on: May 25, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »

a few more people turned 50, had a midlife crisis they blamed on the Internet message boards instead of their own irresponsible cumulative behavior and stormed off in childish anger.

All the women left after being sexually harassed and harassed for their sex.

The macho half of the board is trying to kill themselves by eating only gas station food for a year and the rich, yuppie side is pointing and laughing at that foolishness because you can't eat hotdogs anymore when you are a grown man.

We will be vastly reduced in numbers your next visit.

renfield

• FOCUS: 126
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »

Clones are coming online. As soon as I see roots coming out the bottom of these cups I'ma put them in the 50 gallon bags

Fox farm is great because it doubles as an incense holder

RAGER

• FOCUS: -3567
  • I can’t believe it’s not better.
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »

Weed related. Training my hops

The grasses are really filling in

Blueberry
What’s for lunch?

James1214

« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2020, 04:29:48 PM »

a few more people turned 50, had a midlife crisis they blamed on the Internet message boards instead of their own irresponsible cumulative behavior and stormed off in childish anger.

All the women left after being sexually harassed and harassed for their sex.

The macho half of the board is trying to kill themselves by eating only gas station food for a year and the rich, yuppie side is pointing and laughing at that foolishness because you can't eat hotdogs anymore when you are a grown man.

We will be vastly reduced in numbers your next visit.

So since I'm back, are you outta here shaft? Or do I gotta start one-upping you on the cigar box guitar front? ZING.....

The ladies look real purty Ren, them ornamentals are also looking awesome Rager, what type of hops are you growing?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]