Hazy IPA’s

Started by RAGER, February 08, 2019, 03:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Also referred to as New England style. Surprised there hasn't been a thread about these. Been a thing for a few years out here. Still going strong but I've about reached my fill of them. There's a few I still dig but I will always prefer Belgian styles, spontaneous fermented, wild yeast strain types.
No Focus Pocus

socket

Yes, they're good but I'm over them, too. I still like sours though.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

Sure. Any IPA except the rancid belgian style

RAGER

Some Belgian yeast strains are def an acquired taste.

Here the one that started it (the hazy craze) was Great Notion then everybody followed suit.  About a year ago a brewery from Sparks Nevada called Revision blasted the Portland market with like 6 different hazy's. They were all delicious but stupid crazy filling. After a while I got tired of the bloated feeling so I payed off.  Now if I have even two of the damned things I feel it the next day.  So I'm back to the good stuff in 375 or 750 cork and basket.

A solid DIPA I really enjoy is Block15 Sticky Hands. Always delish.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

I like Belgian ales in general but, at every time I've tried a "Belgian style IPA" I thought it was disgusting

mortlock

ive never been a fan of ipas. the balance is way off.

RAGER

There are many that would disagree. The thing with the hazys are that they're not very bitter but floral and with a totally different mouth feel.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Thats the problem right there. If floral and mouth feel are words used to describe the beer in question im out.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

dnice

Living in New England....I've become an IPA snob of the highest order. My obsession with them is also starting to burn out a bit. You can only drink so many juice cocktails and it starts to get too sweet/old after a while.

However, I still hold a very high expectation for this genre, and I think these breweries are doing this style the best;

Trillium (Mass)
Upper Pass (Vermont)
Foley Brothers (Vermont)
Tilted Barn (Rhode Island)
Frost (Vermont)
Bissell Brothers (Maine)
Castle Island (Mass) (specifically for their rotating double IPAs)
River Roost (Vermont)

There's several others, but those are the best that come to mind for me personally. I've had Treehouse (Mass) several times now, and I don't get the lunacy for that brewery. They make good beers, especially "Haze"...but they don't blow away any listed above, and they rarely introduce new beers. Foam is another Brewery in Vermont that has garnered very high praise, but the couple I've had so far were good but not great.

RAGER

There's a shit ton doing it out here but I've pretty much had it with all but Block15, Great Notion, and Wolves and People. That last just does only one hazy farmhouse style that is hard to call an ipa but is fantastic. The rest of theirs are fruited wild ales and the like.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Picked up a 4 pack. Adam might dig this. New Zealand 🇳🇿 hop edition.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Muffin Man

also looks like a glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit, like, 100%

mortlock

kinda looks like a glass full of cum as well.

Muffin Man

Deschutes Hazetron Imperial Hazy IPA

Fairly delicate stuff on the pallete but delivers the 8.0 without a doubt. Tasty fresh from a can. Part malty (light) part hoppy - leans piney and hints of what seems like a distant mango fruityness all delivered with a light touch. Obvs not a session beer but leans that way in profile. Dangerous! since it goes down without a hint of traditional Imperial weight, although the octane is evident. ps. nice lacing on the pour. I'm not getting any "explosion" per their blerb, more liek a nice poof! A good one if you want a light Imperial (but their 8.0 is no joke)

Brewery says:
"Exploding with big tropical hop character from experimental varietals and modern hopping techniques, this imperial hazy IPA is proof that the future of hops is here."

MALT
    2 Row, Malted Oats, Unmalted Wheat
HOPS
    Simcoe Cryo, Experimental 360, Chinook

Carrys the mark of the Independant Craft Brewery Association

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/hazetron/

RAGER

I don't remember the last time I mingled with a Deschutes beer.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

My new handle is HAZY DIPA

8.5 on the scale. A heavyweight, one can and your smoked. Flavor, okay, kinda peaky/sharp in areas flat in others. Boozy  :o

RAGER

Boozy is not good. You gotta get some Sticky Hands. Benchmark DIPA.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I'll put in a request for it.
Pulling in a huge fish with this one at the moment. 9.9. Insane!
edit: this is a good one. can says 9.9. I reminds me of Pliny the Elder from a tap but maybe even better. This is a good one, although I'm drinking it slightly warmer that I usually would since it had a long car ride from the vendor this afternoon. Working out rather well, I must say.

From the brewer:
Dear (insert your name here), This is the best damn DIPA in the world. So if you were even considering sulking today, think again. Our 2x4 Double IPA is the Gold Winner of numerous note-worthy awards, including the Alpha King Championship; two years in a row and counting. You'd be crazy not to drink this. So close your eyes, open up, and experience the mad floral, citrusy, and clean taste of hop talent. If you don't love it, no...you will.

ABV: 10%
IBUs: +100

https://melvinbrewing.com/beers/2x4-dipa/

Muffin Man

That one Melvin put me out. Man, that beer is rich. No way can I drink two in a row. Had to switch up for some Crown/Coke. Believe it, or not, its lighter. That 2x4 is wack

Muffin Man

Voodoo Ranger Captain Dynamite.
New Belgium Hazy IPA weiging in at 7.7, IBU 45, Mosaic, Cascade, Simcoe hops

It looks flakey in there. Is this flaked hop? I dunno but the flakes are floating in there, not sinking to the bottom and they have a certain "glow" to them, a lighter color than the beer so they kindof "pop" in appearance. Something to talk over at the bar. Tangy top, malty mids, clean finish with a little drying of the pallet. One can always taste the booze a little with the New Belgium's -must be that, a belgium process or something. Fun to try if you like the grapefruit note.

https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/voodoo-ranger-captain-dynamite-ipa/

RAGER

You'd go nutz with the variety I have access to. Sometimes it's too damn much.

Yesterday I had a small pour of Henhouse Brewing Big Chicken 10.3%

A bit much.
No Focus Pocus