Your best chicken wings?

Started by longviewcaps, July 14, 2022, 02:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longviewcaps

Please describe your process. Recently bought an air-fryer and pretty happy with the results. Def less mess (and healthier) than veg oil!
Sansui Marantz Rotel Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Luxman Klipsch

mortlock

bare bones basics, toss them in melted butter and franks red hot sauce for the most authentic buffalo style wing. serve with bleu cheese dressing. you ask for ranch dressing in my neck of the woods and you might find yourself in some trouble.

longviewcaps

Lols. We don't have blood in our veins up here in Washington State. We have Ranch dressing.

Pissy

Brine, marinate, smoke, sear, toss.  In that order.  Jerk-a-que is my current favorite.   The jerk marinade can burn off if you're not careful during the sear.  Tossed in a light smittering of bbq sauce.  They're good without the sauce though too.
Vinyls.   deal.

longviewcaps

I gonna try par-pressure cooking/boiling a batch with a dose of sauce for maybe 5 minutes before dredging and then sending into the air-fry to cook. Then brush on light coat of sauce a few minutes before done. I really like that "meat falling off the bone' state of Done.

longviewcaps

Just bought some of this to try for next! It's a local, tROO GRYMM brand.

Pissy

Oooh.  I'll look that up.  My go to right now is something called The Shizzle. 

Vinyls.   deal.

longviewcaps

You can buy Jamaican Jerk rub at WinCo in bulk! Lols. What a wonderful world....

James1214

Ive been baking mine recently, too much of a pain in the ass to fire up the drier every time the kid wants wings (her favorite type of chicken). I do a 2 pound batch. Thoroughly dry then lightly salt the wings and put on a baking rack in the fridge for a few hours. Toss in a bowl with a tablespoon of baking powder, and a teaspoon each of garlic powder and pepper, and a half tsp of regular table salt. Bake at 375 for approximately 45 minutes on the a baking rack placed on a cookie sheet, flipping halfway through. On the stovetop I do a classic butter and hot sauce style buffalo sauce, usually Frank's, sometimes Crystal or Tapatio for a twist. I also do lemon pepper and butter for the kiddo (4 and a half.... Can't handle spice too much) When the wings are done I place in a big stainless steel bowl and toss with sauce then consume as fast as humanly possible.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
words

mortlock

longviewcaps

Co-worker says her son does a mean garlic/parm wing. I'll have to ask if it's roasted garlic or fresh.
Lemon pepper wings sounds ace too. I have a ton of lemon pepper rub for smoked salmon, but i currently don't have a smoker!

Question: How many of y'all eat the tips?

longviewcaps

Starting to just lightly brush on any sauce and then finish with a hot toss in the pan. Add toasted sesame seeds with the toss. I normally prefer a dry wing. Thoughts?

Pissy

Wet mostly, dry if they're done right.  Hardly ever eaten tips. 

Actually I do legs like wings more than wings themselves because they're far cheaper with more yield. 

Vinyls.   deal.

James1214

Quote from: longviewcaps on July 18, 2022, 02:57:16 AM
Question: How many of y'all eat the tips?

I munch the tip

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Muffin Man

Marinating some drums, no wings at the store. But I too prefer drums anyway. Picked up some Frank's "Buffalo" verison- they hoodwinked me because it sounds official but Buffalo is one step below the original heat now that I read the label. Oh well, I can use it.

90 minutes into marinade so far; Fish Sauce, Soy Sauce, Garlic, Chili Crisp Oil, Caizaiyou oil (roasted rapeseed). the black specs are fermented soybean from the crisp.

I'll be tossing these in a hot dutch oven in the oven. I've got smoked paprika, might sprinkle that on, or something else. maybe garlic powder and a flour coating. haha I'm "winging it".

renfield

I want to do the Hot Ones challenge

Muffin Man

Chicken's in the Brush

Never thought I'd hit on soy sauce chicken but by golly boom. Dutch oven @425. I could not stop eating these. maybe my best chicken yet - cooked through no pink but watery moist with that chinese soy chicken tenderness. I'll try an overnight marinade next time, these were 3.5hrs covered in fridge.

used the fish sauce and cashew nuts idea from Ragers' link
https://rasamalaysia.com/pok-pok-wings-recipe/

longviewcaps

Lookin' fab delish. When WinCo is outta wings, i always get legs instead. No worries.

Muffin Man

National chicken wing days it seems. They had some but I passed on 'em. Had I know then I might have grabbed them but they did look off. More salt n pepper thighs marinating though.