Thanksgiving turkey/dinner

Started by Pissy, November 24, 2022, 01:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

I'm doing the turkey on the rotisserie on the grill.  Putting it on in about 30 min.  Dinner at 6 or so. 

I made a wet rub of garlic powder, honey, dijon and rosemary.   
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

I've spent the last two hours dialing in the airflow to maintain about 350° on the grill. I hope I can keep there.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Cool. Bet it turns out great. Did you roast other turkey parts for gravy drippings? 

6 is late for me but it usually turns out that way when others are involved. We'll be eating around 3. Just doing a few traditional dishes since it's just the wife and I. So I'm licking spoons and double dippin.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

That turkey rig looks the real deal, good luck with it! I keep thinking of candied yams and looked at some canned ones but too many ingredients listed. Doing some mashed potatoes, though.  Ham for the main. Then, a kind of "bananas foster" thing.

Pissy

Yeah, wife works at the local grocery store, so she just got home.  The turkey is only 9lbs because someone is bringing a ham.  So wife makes a few sides, guests bring a ham, I'm responsible for the turkey.   

I didn't do anything with the drippings.  I suppose I could've put a pan underneath to catch them.  I didn't. Threw the neck and giblets away.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

But.....the gravy. There is gravy right?  Who's making the gravy?  And out of what? 
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

some kinda cranberry jam or jelly too, don't forget that!

Pissy

Cranberry orange relish.  Gravy was stock based.  I'm stuffed. Sweet potato casserole was incredible.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

"Cranberry orange relish" - man, that brings back memories! good stuff. Nice color on that bird!

Muffin Man

fresh out of pie, so, sautéd banana over skippy- its not maple syrup its: butter, brown sugar, cloves, all spice. (forgot the cinnamon). served warm.

Pissy

New Orleans Elvis Sammich

So we had the ham, turkey, sweet potato casserole, cranberry relish, green bean casserole, spinach salad, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Then chocolate pecan pie for dessert.  It was all awesome. 
Vinyls.   deal.

James1214

I didn't get much in the way of pics, but my lady took this. I tried to keep the menu simple, but execute the best possible version of each dish, so I did the whole damn thing from scratch, all the veggies were either grown by me or my neighbor (mushrooms we're store bought) the turkey was shot by my neighbor.

Roast Turkey, brined for like 16 hours.  I roast hot and fast, 500 for a half hour, drop to 350 and don't open the fuckin oven until the breast temps 155. Perfect every time. Used my modified version of Alton Brown's green bean casserole (more garlic, nutmeg, and mushrooms), but I now fry up my own onions for the topper. Did a cornbread stuffing (can't do the gluten anymore, which blows), baked the cornbread on Tuesday and cubed it up and left it on the counter under a towel. Gravy was done from broth I reduced down a bunch, a little xanthan gum to thicken it and some fresh herbs. And a simple mashed potatoes, just butter, salt and heavy whipping cream. Dessert was a pumpkin pie and some brownies.

The niece and her boyfriend said it was the best thanksgiving meal they'd ever had, the daughter cleared her plate except for some mashed potatoes, and the better half requested that I just do this exact same thing for Xmas. I call that a win.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Muffin Man

Quote from: James1214 on November 25, 2022, 04:40:01 PM

Amazing...congrat's chef! what a classic timeless Thanksgiving feast and magazine cover photo. Wow, that's how its done.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

just me and my girl and willa our puppy. got super high on some moon rocks. wow that shit hits. first time i ever tried moon rocks. we made a chuck roast and ate the whole thing.

RAGER

Rad James!  Sounds like a great time.

Sssshhhhh it's the late night of my 53rd birthday. I'm sitting amongst my gear and blinking lights smokin, drinking and listening to stoner riff rock and Chet Baker, Cannonball Aterley, et al
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

James1214

Thanks y'all. And happy belated Birthday Rager. I usually pull out the stops with quantity of dishes, but that takes days of prep. I really enjoyed the simpler meal this time around. Usually I also do a creamed spinach, maple roasted carrots, Julia Childs cauliflower au gratin, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts  chocolate pecan pie and apple pie. But with only 6 of us this year that just seemed ridiculous. We had 20 last year (everyone has just got busted and was feeling like thanksgiving is back! Let's fuckin party!!!) This year my parents finally caught the 'Rona 3 days prior (they seem to be fine and in the tail end of it), so it was a lot less festive. But still a killer meal.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words