Main Menu

what speakers to get?

Started by yesca, April 09, 2011, 09:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesca

recently picked up a late 60's early 70s Univox 2x12 Bass cab. i rigged it up with my AOR and the Marshall 4x12 and I'm not getting any sound from it. im assuming the speakers are busted so im wondering what speakers i should get. i would like to use this cab for guitar and bass so something that would work well for both.

Hemisaurus

I know I posted how to test a speaker before. Can't find the post.

9V battery against the terminals, and watch for the cone to move.

dogfood

I'd bet you have a wire that became unattached.
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

Yeah, one of the leads is popped off, inside, somewhere.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

yesca

what exactly should i be looking for? i opened it up to check for some loose wires but everything seemed fine.

Hemisaurus

take a 9v battery, put one terminal of the battery on one terminal of a speaker, put the other terminal of the battery on the other terminal of the speaker, the speaker cone should move, you should here a POP as you connect and disconnect the battery.

yesca

tried doing that 9v battery thing i didn't get a single pop.

Hemisaurus

Then you need some new speakers, unfortunately, no cone movement atall, yeah?

What are you using amp-wise to push the cab? Before anyone recommends new speakers, they should know what kind of wattage you are pushing. Rule of thumb, for guitar AND bass, I'd stay away from guitar speakers, and go with regular PA or bass drivers.

yesca

im just running an 8knob Laney AOR Pro tube 100. yah i'd like to get some speakers that can handle guitar and bass frequencies.

Hemisaurus

I'd go for something fairly low wattage and efficient in a PA driver line. Have a look at partsexpress or loudspeakersplus or usspeaker or something like that.

yesca

hmm just wondering why the low wattage stuff? i figured i should pick up something a little more high wattage as ill prob run the AOR into my marshall 4x12 and the univox 2x12(once it up and running) at loud volumes

Hemisaurus

Depends what you mean by low wattage. To me that would be 150 - 400W range. Anything heavier and you get into real big motors with lower sensitivity, you want max dB's for your watt.

yesca

ohh okay yah when i think low wattage i think of my line6 1x12 15 watt combo ahaha

Hemisaurus

You don't find full range / bass / PA speakers much below 150W nowadays, that's the territory of guitar speakers.