Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Cave Man Hand Tool Blog  (Read 3738 times)

VOLVO)))

• FOCUS: 1241
  • Marshall goes to Eleven, Peavey goes to 12.
Re: Cave Man Hand Tool Blog
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »

<<Only registered users can see images, please register or login>>

Just an example of something I use to do a certain, once a year job on one of these pieces of shit.

Yes, this is a short 3/8ths ratchet with a 3/8ths hole designed for getting into places where you can't get a normal ratchet and have any swing. This is a rare user, but absolutely bails me out on pulling turbo drain lines on certain older volvos.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:04:31 PM by VOLVO))) »
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

• FOCUS: 352
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »

Used to drive a 4wd 2001 Blazer.  Many well documented problems with that vehicle, like many, I suppose.  But one of them was the vacuum switch that engaged the front differential.    That tool would have been useful in a deep well to remove that damn switch from the TOP of the transmission.
If you don't like the flute, then you don't like Tull.

MadJohnShaft

• FOCUS: -985
  • StonerRockLives 2.0 “VIP Quantum Edition”™
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2020, 05:44:01 PM »

The CBG parts supply house, CBGitty.com reports record orders this week as people are getting to building instead of getting depressed.

That’s nice.

When thunder roars, go indoors.

Pissy

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »

The same is true for EP Armory.  Where you can buy your own kit to build an untraceable AR15!!  Idle hands building them like crazy.  And I’m getting interesting spam about concealed permits, even after the Sheriff stopped processing them. 

neighbor664

• FOCUS: -74
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2020, 12:32:26 AM »

Just an example of something I use to do a certain, once a year job on one of these pieces of shit.

Yes, this is a short 3/8ths ratchet with a 3/8ths hole designed for getting into places where you can't get a normal ratchet and have any swing. This is a rare user, but absolutely bails me out on pulling turbo drain lines on certain older volvos.

LOL!!! Yup!
Only glanced at your post, didn't see it was yours. First thought was that looks like something I've done.

VOLVO)))

« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »

The same is true for EP Armory.  Where you can buy your own kit to build an untraceable AR15!!  Idle hands building them like crazy.  And I’m getting interesting spam about concealed permits, even after the Sheriff stopped processing them.

I built my first one this year. They're not super complex. I don't really care for them, but it's like adult legos and thats kinda fun.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »

A felony gun build? Let’s type that twice.

Pissy

« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2020, 11:22:56 AM »

Legal if done in a certain way. 

renfield

• FOCUS: 128
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »

I'm too scared to own power tools, that's a pass for me on the assault rifle.

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »

The felony assault rifle. You forgot the felony part.

renfield

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2020, 12:09:55 PM »

I chose to believe Pissy over you, sorry

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2020, 12:13:26 PM »

Cause he has a gun? Chicken shit, I could totally break into the Pissy house and take his homemade gun and drive it to the FBI before he even woke up.

Lumpy

• FOCUS: -1126
  • Planet Mongo
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2020, 12:15:15 PM »

I wouldn’t want to build a gun for the same reasons I wouldn’t want to pack my own parachute.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »

I didn’t build one, don’t have one.  I saw one my brother built, and from what I saw, they were kinda crappy.  Plus, I don’t have much of a desire for a “tactical” rifle. 

I have a deer rifle and a couple shotguns for skeet and sporting clays, that’s it.  And they’re in a safe.

The following is Not intended to be offensive, defensive, in support of or in opposition to firearms and I am absolutely not an expert on anything.   It’s informative only. 
But yes, legally you can build an AR-15 that isn’t registered.  The centerpiece of the rifle is called the Lower receiver.  When these are made, the manufacturers deliberately only complete them to 80%.  The final machining is for the end user.  An item isn’t legally a gun until the finished lower receiver and all the other components are assembled.  Once the seal is broken with the first assembly, even disassembled, it’s legally a firearm.

So outfits sell, those 80% lowers (not a gun) and all the parts that attach to it (not a gun either) and the end user machines the lower then puts it together like Jake said.   Like a lego set.  The key to this transaction is that the lower is not complete.  If it were, the lower would have a documented serial number and need to be sold through an FFL.  (I think that’s right, not positive though).

But once it’s together, it can’t be transferred ownership in any way.  Unless it gets a serial number and is registered and is transferred the same way other firearms are through an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee)

There are rules for how the last 20% of the lower receivers can be accomplished.  Legally I can’t take it to work and put it on the drill press to finish it.  Or have a friend do it for me. Or pay someone to finish it unless they’re a firearm builder, registered and gives it a serial and documents it properly. I would need to do it at home, with my own equipment.  And once it’s together, its mine solely until it’s destroyed or registered. 

At least That’s the way I understood it a few years ago.  Laws change, rules change blah blah blah. 

But here is an 80% lower receiver

https://www.80percentarms.com/products/type-iii-hard-anodized-billet-ar-15-80-lower-receiver/

And here is a build kit. 

https://www.eparmory.com/556-Unassembled-AR15-build-kit-16-SS-_p_506.html

This exact same concept is also applied to certain types of handguns, though to a smaller degree. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:28:32 PM by Pissy »

Lumpy

• FOCUS: -1126
  • Planet Mongo
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2020, 01:45:07 PM »

When the Final Boogaloo comes, I want to be Team Pissy.

Or Team Jake.

Whoever has the most food.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »

I know who has the gross food.

The next round this week is heating up.  I shellacked a bass neck and now it is shiny. I will see.  I have to plan out who gets what parts.  And get the other neck with the fretboard all glued up. And do some fretting.

I should have some warm outdoor days so I will do neck shaping then.

tourist album download

renfield

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »

Are you selling them on etsy

juan11

• FOCUS: 1741
  • Total time logged in: 1 hours and 11 minutes.
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »

Yeah, cause he needs more money.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

VOLVO)))

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »

I don't understand why people think ARs/guns in general are voodoo. They are dangerous, and definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but A gun can't hurt you without a human (or ape I guess) behind it. That's a relatively simple concept.

"Building" one of those is literally placing puzzle pieces. The 80% receivers are not felonious, they are a perfectly legal loophole. Some states DO have registries, but in my case - Florida does not, so Wild Wild West it is. TECHNICALLY, the "gun" part of an "AR" type gun is the lower. That's the part that you transfer if you do indeed legally sell it to someone else. The serial number resides on the lower itself. Not even the barrel is serialized.

Cars have VIN numbers, unique to that vehicle only. Not all the parts on the car are VIN tied to the car. Same concept. The Lower is the "car" in this instance, and everything else is just a part.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

renfield

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2020, 07:08:18 PM »

I mean, I can accurately say that this is a bench, and that I did work on it. A workbench!

I'm not too concerned that the legs are poorly shaped. But, I'm not sure what went wrong with:
1) The incorrect leg angling. I thought I was being careful as shit, lining it up with a protractor and bevel gauge.
2) The pronounced twisting of the bench towards the end with the square mortise

Also not sure of a good strategy for cutting down the bottoms of the legs such that bench is more level, or as close as I can get with the warping.

VOLVO)))

« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2020, 07:09:44 PM »

Also, I agree fully on the "crappy" aspect. Lots of plastic, and shit tolerances unless you spend good money on your parts. I think they're lame, but I've got one just in case. I treat them like tools, you may only use a tool one time in your whole life... but that one time it may have saved you a lot of heartache.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

renfield

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »

I don't understand why people think ARs/guns in general are voodoo. They are dangerous, and definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but A gun can't hurt you without a human (or ape I guess) behind it. That's a relatively simple concept.

That's exactly what scares me, the thought of ME being the ape behind it. I'm a klutz and a moron and my interactions with any sort of object be it an automobile, guitar, circuit board, soldering iron, drill etc are prone to disaster.

VOLVO)))

« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »

I mean, I can accurately say that this is a bench, and that I did work on it. A workbench!

I'm not too concerned that the legs are poorly shaped. But, I'm not sure what went wrong with:
1) The incorrect leg angling. I thought I was being careful as shit, lining it up with a protractor and bevel gauge.
2) The pronounced twisting of the bench towards the end with the square mortise

Also not sure of a good strategy for cutting down the bottoms of the legs such that bench is more level, or as close as I can get with the warping.

Doing anything with the framing type of 2x4s basically damns any sort of accuracy or straightness. You were probably spot on, but those fucking things are not.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MadJohnShaft

« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »

Is it otherwise solid?

Make it level using shims or whatever under the legs and declare victory.  My basement floor is not level so I have to do that to everything.

Great is the enemy of the good enough.

I am excited to use my new scroll saw this week.

VOLVO)))

« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »

Is it otherwise solid?

Make it level using shims or whatever under the legs and declare victory.  My basement floor is not level so I have to do that to everything.

Great is the enemy of the good enough.

I am excited to use my new scroll saw this week.

I'm amazed at how badly most concrete slabs are poured.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15