Beastie Boys Story

Started by sleestak, April 27, 2020, 12:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleestak

Enjoyable.  Initially the live hosted documentary didn't really work for me but then when it got more personal I could see the value in doing it that way.   

I would recommend it.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

stooge

on top of my watch list
will watch today or tomorrow before i quit that free apple tv trial
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

neighbor664

Quote from: sleestak on April 27, 2020, 12:00:34 AM
Enjoyable.  Initially the live hosted documentary didn't really work for me but then when it got more personal I could see the value in doing it that way.   

I would recommend it.

I really dug this. Hadn't thought about the Beasties in years. Definitely have to pull out Paul's Boutique again. 

renfield

They're really compelling figures and storytellers. I've always regarded MCA as a hero in particular. Excited to see this.

stooge

Initially the live hosted documentary didn't really work for me
i couldn't get into it either  especially as they obviously were reading from a teleprompter
lotsa cool stuff there to see though
young rick rubin pitching them was cool
now i'll quit apple tv
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

neighbor664

Quote from: stooge on April 30, 2020, 11:59:56 AM
Initially the live hosted documentary didn't really work for me
i couldn't get into it either  especially as they obviously were reading from a teleprompter
lotsa cool stuff there to see though
young rick rubin pitching them was cool
now i'll quit apple tv

I did not have any complaint about the format, but one. The format made forget for a brief moment that the guys talking were the 2/3 of the Beasties. Made them seem more like NPR hosts.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

juan11

I saw the book tour version of this, which was better, but similar.  They were reading excerpts from the book & telling stories and showing pics and vids.  Same black stage setup, but they had a couch. They talked about early NY and hip hop more, had some insane stories, dogged out (humorously) artists that were more popular at the time of Paul's Boutique...

Speaking of:

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 04, 2012, 04:17:36 PM
Aww...poor MCA  ;(

I saw the 1985 Fresh Fest II where the Beastie Boys opened for LL Cool J, Whodini, and RUN DMC.  They did two songs and were there because of She's On It (from the Krush Groove) movie. They just had out those 45rpm DefJam LPs.   Milwaukee Arena, $15.  Not a lot of white boys there, but the ones that were, were Punk Rocks.    I remember discussing whether they would be well received, maybe the people there just wanted to hear some beat box, rapping,  and scratching in an Arena for the first time. No one booed anyway.

I saw the 1987 Licensed to Ill tour, Murphy's Law opened. They were in full on crazy party mode and barely did the songs without each one falling apart while they were running around the Milwaukee Arena and throwing beer cans and goofing around messing up all the songs. 

They had an off stage guy who's job was to throw beer cans to them and had hired some local strippers to dance in the cages they brought. They had a giant inflatable penis ala Mick Jagger Starfucker era.  And were yelling at people in the audience between songs pointing "hey, look at THAT fucking guy". DJ in the back on a big table.

I don't know if I'd call it good so much as just chaos... 'Fight for Your Right To Party' was a big hit by the time they came to Milwaukee so it was performed as 'Fight for Your Right to (music stops) Suck My Dick' repeat.   The songs from that LP were only sort of performed, I imagine anyone a big fan of the record might have been bummed by the fuck-you-punk-rock were doing what we want type performance. It got a terrible review in the paper.

and the tour kept making the news for the crazy shit they were doing  ;)

srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best