Which of these would you get?

Started by Blueberry Lazer, April 11, 2011, 07:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Lazer

Okay fellas. After 8 blissful years, I have recently popped the question to my lady and spent a lot of money on a nice ring. She said yes, the date is set and and everything is a go. She knows I could give a fuck about what kind of ring she gets me and I have told her this. So she says in a nut shell, "this ring that you have given me is the greatest gift that I have ever received and I would like to buy you something that means almost as much to you". My immediate response was "well how about an Electric Amps 120 watt master volume unit with EL34s". She says "great whatever you want".

First off, Im not asking you guys to tell me what a piece of shit I am in this scenario, I am fully aware of this. I also would like to avoid an electric versus matamp shit sling fest. What I am asking is this a) If you had to choose between an  "Electric Amps 120 watt master volume unit with EL34s" or an "Electrical guitar company all aluminum guitar", which would you choose? and b) (for shits and giggles) What would you choose to do in this scenario?

johnny problem

First off, congratulations!

I personally can't judge you for suggesting the amp.  I will say, the amp basically represents the same thing as a ring.  You're going to look at that amp and think about your wife every single time.  You're also going to be one happy deaf guy.

Hemisaurus

Well if you go with the amp, you ought to get the custom faceplate option, and at least put your betrothed's name on it.

VOLVO)))

Amp. I hate you. If he puts her name on it, I'll get to go over and crank his wife...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Guitar. I find guitars last longer than amps. I'm more sentimental about my guitars than amps. Plus my guitars outlasted my ex-wife.  :P

Blueberry Lazer

I'm not sure what cranking is but yeah a purple amp with a girls name . Come on man, She would deserve to get cranked.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Blueberry Lazer on April 11, 2011, 08:04:35 PM
I'm not sure what cranking is but yeah a purple amp with a girls name . Come on man, She would deserve to get cranked.
I think he meant umm the nasty oh nevermind...  ;D

wink wink nudge nudge knowwhatImean?

Blueberry Lazer

oh yeah I see what he did there. Quite clever actually ;)

mortlock

dont do it..take the ring back and buy your own amp..

thank me later..

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

Blueberry Lazer

mortlock for the win

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys. I thought about the kt88s but I think that just might be too much wattage and bass for me. I do want some kind of  clean tone as well though. oh decisions

Discö Rice

guitar - woman-shaped, simple, always a joy to hold (and finger. heh.), easy to fix.

amps have too many problems. no need for your marriage to be associated with something fragile that requires constant maintenance.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

SpaceTrucker

^Then get the matamp OH!(I can't say anything about any of those amps) An aluminum guitar? Like the one Buzzo's got? I say Both.

As far as the moral dilemma, uh, she is the one that thinks an expensive ring is the greatest gift she's ever had. At least you can have fun with an amp and guitar. And even make money with it if you can.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 11, 2011, 07:39:58 PM
Well if you go with the amp, you ought to get the custom faceplate option, and at least put your betrothed's name on it.

Great idea, although some names would look better than others. A meaningful word or phrase would work (Get a Job!)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Blueberry Lazer

Jake

You could always get both... then get a Emperor cabinet and have the fully-committed gear du jour.
poop.

peyotepeddler

i dig 6550's, so i would get a non-master with'em

put "ball and chain" on the faceplate, or "buttpussy", but that might be to much of a inside joke :o

eddiefive10

my only thought on this would be...... having owned a Aluminum neck kramer, I orginially thought it would be cool and sound great, but after owning it, it was so trebly that I couldnt stand it and sold it, now the Electric head although in theory might not survive as long is more versitile and if taken care could last forever. just my 2 cents

LogicalFrank

I would go w/ the guitar but maybe not that particular one. Amps are kind of a pain in the ass but guitars generally keep working w/o much fuss for a long time. I would probably buy the amp for myself but for some reason a guitar seems more appropriate for the occasion and is what I would have asked my own wife for had she offered, which she didn't. But I didn't buy her a super expensive ring either.

For the record, love the tone on my aluminum neck Kramer. Smooth but still nice and bright.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Hemisaurus

I have to ask of the people who suggested a guitar, because an amp needs work, have you guys been married?

An amp, especially a tube amp, is a great analogy for marriage. Long periods of great, interspersed with either a bit of regular maintenance too keep it going smooth, or a downhill slide with a big chunk of heartache if you don't treat it right.

I guess every woman needs the right load to drive, and their tubes changed every once in a while  :)

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 13, 2011, 02:58:39 PM
I have to ask of the people who suggested a guitar, because an amp needs work, have you guys been married?

An amp, especially a tube amp, is a great analogy for marriage. Long periods of great, interspersed with either a bit of regular maintenance too keep it going smooth, or a downhill slide with a big chunk of heartache if you don't treat it right.

I guess every woman needs the right load to drive, and their tubes changed every once in a while  :)
Well that is poetry. Never been married but I was with someone for eight and a half years. I can tell you this - once the relationship ended for good, I didn't want to look at my drums for a couple of years. A lot of things on my kit were bought for me as birthday/christmas/anniversary presents and playing it was just too much to bear. Luckily I've gotten to the point that I just want to smash it into dust and defecate on the pulverized remains.

Blueberry Lazer

this post has exceeded my wildest expectations. That was a beautiful analogy Hemisaurus. Also, I have yet to sell any of my musical equipment, and I damn sure don't intend to sell either of these items, if I get em. But i have yet to hear about any reliability issues with Electric amps and I live 2 hours from the shop that they are hand assembled at.

However, if my lady did buy that amp for me  would she expect me to be faithful to that one amp. I mean does she expect me to be content only plugging into the same amp for the rest of my life!  Would that mean i'm not allowed to spend my time looking at other amps on the internet. Hanging out late night on ebay waiting to catch a deal on some vintage trannies, or lookin at seedy craigslist ads for my next score. That I cant salivate over online clips of other slutty amps getting cranked by bearded hobo lookin' rocker dudes. Holy shit i think i feel my feet getting cold....

Discö Rice

Quote from: Blueberry Lazer on April 13, 2011, 06:48:02 PM
this post has exceeded my wildest expectations. That was a beautiful analogy Hemisaurus. Also, I have yet to sell any of my musical equipment, and I damn sure don't intend to sell either of these items, if I get em. But i have yet to hear about any reliability issues with Electric amps and I live 2 hours from the shop that they are hand assembled at.

However, if my lady did buy that amp for me  would she expect me to be faithful to that one amp. I mean does she expect me to be content only plugging into the same amp for the rest of my life!  Would that mean i'm not allowed to spend my time looking at other amps on the internet. Hanging out late night on ebay waiting to catch a deal on some vintage trannies, or lookin at seedy craigslist ads for my next score. That I cant salivate over online clips of other slutty amps getting cranked by bearded hobo lookin' rocker dudes. Holy shit i think i feel my feet getting cold....
Ha!

db3jed

So far only mortlock is making any sense in this thread.
Oh, and me.
Heed the warnings; ye know not what terrors await thee.
Stay single and buy your own.