The Northman

Started by renfield, December 20, 2021, 11:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

This shit looks so badass

Dylan Thomas

It's supposed to be good, yes.  Really loved The Lighthouse, that movie was AMAZING, so I will definitely check this out as well.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Yeah, that's the thing.  Vikings have seemed kinda overplayed for a bit now, sure, so my expectations were not super high. And I'm notoriously difficult to please.

This far exceeded my expectations, and I was very pleased.  Not only is it visually stunning, it really captures the spirits of those old Viking sagas I read as an English literature student.

Njal's Saga is my fave, and this channeled a lot of that with the Iceland setting, the focus on blood feuds/family slaughter, and the role of craftiness and deception rather than just brute strength and brawn.  Well done, well done.

The weird parts and spiritual elements are suitably creepy, the acting is wonderful, and characterizations are rich.  I don't have any real criticisms, for once. 

This is how we take a tired trope and breath new life into it - bring it back to its roots, explore and get weird.  Well played, clerks.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

renfield

Yeah I hoped you would dig it Andy. It's definitely more of a crowd pleaser than THE LIGHTHOUSE but still obviously by the same historically obsessed weirdo. Which term I of course mean in positively.

mortlock

psh. not impressed. the end scene in the lava reminded me of anakin and obi wan. the last kingdom series is way better.
cinematically it was beautiful but i need more than a good looking movie.