Bass Speakers 10" vs 12" vs 15"

Started by Submarine, January 26, 2023, 10:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

I've always been a fan of 10" speakers for bass but I was working with a bassist who was using a 4x12" cab and I was knocked out by his tone.  He basically said that he gets most of the punch of a 10" speaker but more lows without the flabbiness of a 15".  He was doing R&B / hip hop stuff but it got me thinking.  Since a Rickenbacker thru an SVT rig is a proven winner in stoner rock maybe we don't need the lowest of the low end?  Or maybe since a lot of this music is tuned down to B or even A, does the punch of a 10" speaker with the mid range growl of a Rick just make it a better fit? 

mortlock

ive played through 4x10s and 1x15 or 2x15 cabs for most of my playing time, i started in 1987. i recently got a 1x12 orange cab and it sounds better than anything ive ever played through. at least as good if i try and make a case for one of my other cabs. im totally sold on a 12 for bass.

Pissy

If I ever got a chance to try bass 12s I would.  But only in a jam room for a whole practice session, since hooking up to one at GC isn't going to tell me anything useful.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I really like my 8x10. It had the highs and the lows covered for sure. I would think 12's would be very be very punchy and midrange. Look at Lemmy's rig, 12's up top and 15's below.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

I like a mix of 12s and 15s for guitar, for the girthyness. I'm a fan of 10s and 12s for the high end it gives to low tuned bass. But honestly I'm a believer that any amp/cab combo can be used for any instrument if you like the sound it gives you. Fuck convention and norms.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Submarine

Quote from: James1214 on January 27, 2023, 04:26:19 PM
I'm a fan of 10s and 12s for the high end it gives to low tuned bass. But honestly I'm a believer that any amp/cab combo can be used for any instrument if you like the sound it gives you.

I'm totally onboard with that type of thinking.  I've not used 12" speakers on bass and I don't see it around much so I'm trying to gauge what other's experiences have been.  I've been playing a lot more bass as of late and mostly recording direct.  I want to buy an amp and I assumed that I was going to go with 10" speakers but listening to this guy play thru an Aguilar 4x12 it got me thinking. 

Thanks for all of your perspectives.

Pissy

Also, I never could make a Ric sound good in the context I play.  And they never felt great to me either. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

i have half of this set up. i need one more cab and ill have my new rig complete. it will be powered by my peavey minimax head. orange 1x12s. its super easy to move around. modern tech at its finest.

RAGER

Small rig and the Friedman Mic no mo' and you're set.
No Focus Pocus

Submarine

Quote from: RAGER on January 28, 2023, 01:18:09 PM
Friedman Mic no mo' .
Sounds good?  I tried the Radial JDX on my guitar rig and did not like it. 

RAGER

Don't know for myself and I don't think ever use one but I've been seeing lots of positive comments about it.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Second on the Radial JDX.  Mine doesn't sound so great. It's also got a bad 1/4" jack since brand new. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

One thing to make sure of if you get orange 1x12 cabs. They use speakon cables exclusively. No 1/4 inch. I owned the head before i bought the cab and never thought to check when i bought the cab. The peavey minimax can take speakon and 1/4 inch so  i wasnt fucked but it was close call.

Pissy

How is Rager supposed to check the impedance with his fancy dongle meter leads with speakons?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Off to the lab to develop an adapter!!
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

The lab.Yes! Not impedence but I've got a Galaxy Audio Cricket. Sold one, then re-bought. Checks phase and, polarity, system wide. Criket, I guess, because it makes a sound on the sending unit, at the other end of the circuit, the receiving unit hears the sound (the cricket?) an et voĆ­la - you can see if the string you plucked, or mic, ended up at the woofer pushing or pulling. Recording studio, sound hall, tool. Probably other ways to do it but it's quick for multiple test points. ex. if your woofer flexes outward, is the other one too? Maybe the digital reverb box inverted that on one channel out of phase, or maybe the red wire is actually flipped. peope with bird ears can hear it, this is for Norms.