Main Menu

bass painting question

Started by bbottom, April 15, 2011, 10:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

Ok so I am thinking about painting my fakenbacker from this

to this

What is the best way to approach this including how would I go about painting the binding? I can already tell that painting the binding is going to be a huge pain in the ass. So part two of my question would be whether or not you guys know of anyone that paints guitars and the price of having such a thing done.

mortlock

VOLVO)))

Fuck that, Man, if you want to paint it, just buy something else. Those basses are going to shoot through the roof in value, and I really want one. Don't do it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

In my opinion, it's going to be a huge pain in the ass (because of the binding) and you will very possibly screw it up, since it's your first time painting and the binding adds extra complexity. Or you can pay somebody to do it for (wild guess) 350 bucks (again, the binding, plus the headstock) plus shipping costs, and probably disassembly/assembly costs (gotta pull it apart to paint it).

It doesn't neeeeed to be painted. You'd probably be better off selling it, then add the money you didn't spend on paint, and apply $$ that to a used Rickenbacker

But here's DIY paint headquarters:
http://www.reranch.com

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Plus, the black hardware is a big part of that look. It's not gonna look the same, with chrome everything, even if you did paint it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on April 16, 2011, 01:12:25 AM
Plus, the black hardware is a big part of that look. It's not gonna look the same, with chrome everything, even if you did paint it.

I'm actually putting all black hardware on it. I bought new black tuning machines for it (the originals were messed up) a black pickguard (the one on it is riddled with holes from whoever owned it before) and I'm going to pick up a black bridge (the bridge that is on it is pretty chewed up and kind of shitty).

That being said I'm going to put all of the new parts on it and then see if I dig it with the original color. If not then I'll figure something else out.

Oh and I used to own a real rick about 5 years ago and hated it. I hated the neck on it and couldn't get into the sound at all. I also got it for a really good price and ended up flipping it for over a grand more than what I paid for it.
When the opportunity to buy this one came up, for a very good price, I jumped all over it. I love working on this stuff and hot rodding it out. Plus I didn't spend that much on it so it's not a big deal if I fix it up and then sell it.

Hemisaurus

Pick a colour scheme that matches the binding?

I painted my Hondobacker black, from that funny red sunburst they do. My dad did it, he painted vehicles at that point, he just masked the binding. I'd guess making someone then mask the new paint, and paint the binding, then have to go back again and paint the fret marker dots is going to add to the time and expense.

You could remove, and replace the binding, but that brings with it the dangers of pulling off bits of wood, etc. :(

Ranbat

How much work do you want to put in? I'd say do your research and just replace the binding. I understand not liking the real deal too. I wanted a Gigson SG so bad, had a couple and hated them. I have a Valkyrie from Rondo and I wouldn't trade it for the real deal.
Meh :/

SpaceTrucker

Me and my neighbor(mostly him) painted my T 40. It was a pain taking it apart. But if you tape everything up and sand off the paint you should leave it clean. I would just strip it and add new Binding. Shit, your just gonna get most of the way done and "FUCK!" You screw it up. You know the feeling. Prepare for it.

inductorguitars

yet another vote for don't do it.

bbottom

Yea I've decided not to do it. It is going to be a huge pain in the ass and chances are that I'll screw it up.

After I get all of the black hardware for it I'm sure that will improve the look of the bass by 1000%.

I don't know what it is about white pickguards but I just don't dig them at all.