Anyone ever done a Warmoth build or parts guitar?

Started by Instant Dan, April 17, 2011, 12:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I only murder prostitutes if they don't swallow. :D

Found a shot of all of Illinois!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

That's got to be Northern Illinois, the corn is too short for round here :)

showdown

I just built a bass with Warmoth parts. It's not cheap but you do get a LOT of options when it comes to woods/paint/binding/inlays etc. I'm totally happy, the parts are all top notch and I really don't think I could get a bass like this custom built anywhere else for less money.

bass sic

Dude that is nice. Its got about four too many strings IMO, but very nice.

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 18, 2011, 01:45:38 PM
Paint on a guitar is a totally different beast. It's NOTHING like painting a car, but the steps are effectively the same. Fill, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, paint, sand , paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, clear, sand, clear, sand, clear, sand, clear, sand, clear, sand, clear, sand - buff to a shine.

<snip>
I don't know if Erik paints (but if he does,) he could shed a little more light on the process and all of the pitfalls you may encounter.

Personally, I do oil/wax finishes. I'm a huge fan of natural wood tone. Paint is a tone-killer IMO, especially that poly-paint they use these days on EVERYTHING.

If you have an instrument you want to experiment on, just sand the finish off of it, and listen for the 100% transformation of tone.
<snip>

Nope I won't paint a guitar. Too much damn work, but I will Tint one.

Oil/poly is what I like, just use more oil than poly in the mix.  I like the oil/wax but it can require maintanence. I need to experiment with carnuaba wax.

After refinishing my tele http://www.inductorguitars.com/series/telecaster-refinishing/ I can FEEL the body resonating now.

Necromancer

Check Benford Guitars if you are looking for a Strat/Tele type bolt-on.