Main Menu

Way Huge Green Rhino

Started by bloodofkings, April 26, 2011, 03:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodofkings

Just got one of these at a decent price. Anyone ever use one for bass? What did you think? I tried it through my dinky little practice amp and it sounded pretty good. I'm looking forward to using it at rehearsal. Buddy of mine had one in his guitar setup but I don't think I ever heard him use it.
I can't crap for shit.

Baltar

Any of the 1st gen W.H. pedals are liquid gold.  I'm sure the new ones aren't crap either, just mass-produced now.  The first ones are up there with Cornish, Skreddy, Lovetone, and DAM.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

bloodofkings

Yeah I grabbed the second gen on a recommendation from one of my friends. I had a 20% off code from Musicians Friend and got free shipping. I couldn't bring myself to fork over the price being commanded for the 1st gen pedals. The low end boost is pretty cool. Made a bit of difference on the little amp. The contour knob was subtle. I have yet to use it in a rehearsal situation yet. I'm looking forward to it. I like the TS808 and their derivatives on a bass. I was torn between this and a TS9B.
I can't crap for shit.

Baltar

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Jeorge still designed all the new ones too.  He just got tired of the biz the first time around and with Dunlop behind him, it's the best situation.  I'm glad he did it, now people without a Ph.D after their names can enjoy them too.

LogicalFrank

Quote from: Baltar on April 27, 2011, 10:01:37 PM
I'm glad he did it, now people without a Ph.D after their names can enjoy them too.

I think you mean "Attorney At Law."
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Baltar

That too.  Blues lawyer, blues doctor.

bloodofkings

Well tried it out at rehearsal. We rent an hourly room and the gear is provided by the studio. I ran it through an SVTIII Pro. The 100khz knob was really useful in adding some low end that I normally lose with an overdrive pedal. It wasn't an over the top distortion, which is what I was looking for. Just something to add a little hair and not completely suck out any low end I may have. Which I don't have a ton of. I have a couple fiddle players in my band that love the bass knob on their amps. So I EQ more to the midsy side to cut through the two of them. I was using a EHX Metal Muff and mixing it with a clean signal by use of an ABY box and a two channel amp. It sounded good but it was a tad too much hair even with the dist knob down to zero and I was losing it a little in the mix. I was also experimenting with a Keeley Ultra Mod DS1 and splitting the signal through my rig. That sounded alright but it sucked a little too much low end out and to get it where I retained some low end I had to set it to a fuzzy blanket sound. I dug the sound by itself but in the mix it disappeared. Using the Green Rhino it seemed to be a little more transparent. Where my initial tone wasn't radically changed by using the pedal. I was cutting through the mix a little more than usual. I haven't used the Green Rhino through my own rig yet but I'm going to drag my head to the studio this coming week for rehearsal just to finish dialing in a sound. I'd be running it through a '76 SVT and an 8x10. With that said, I'm digging it so far.
I can't crap for shit.