What can you tell me about Fender Mustang guitars?

Started by The Shocker, April 28, 2011, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

I've been dying to get one, probably one of the current Japanese reissues in Competition Orange.  Anybody had/have one or played one? 

clockwork green

The short scale feels really funny to me and I've only played vintage mustangs but the pickups are super thin sounding and the bridge is a but wonky. I don't really care for them aside from looks. I have a three pickup Cyclone II that was discontinued a few years ago that fits the quirky, less popular Fender surf vibe for me. Gibson 24.75" scale and Jaguar pickups with a Strat bridge plus racing stripes. They made a humbucker model too. I have heard good tones from Mustangs but it's usually a quirky, artsy indie/noise type thing.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

The Shocker

I had a Squier Duo-Sonic & the scale didn't bother me.  More concerned about the trem/bridge.

VOLVO)))

No divebombs, otherwise, they're pretty stable. Ive worked on a bunch.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Quote from: deaner33 on April 28, 2011, 03:13:45 PM
I had a Squier Duo-Sonic & the scale didn't bother me.  More concerned about the trem/bridge.

Mastery Bridge. http://www.masterybridge.com/home.html

MikeyT

Some people call Mustangs & Duo-Sonics a "poor man's Stratocaster".

Of course they don't touch Strats, but they still have the Fender vibe.

For the longest time I thought Ron Asheton used a Mustang for 'FUNHOUSE'.
I guess I saw a Mustang Bass in a stooges pic & assumed; but I could have sworn his guitar on that LP sounded like a Mustang. Never truly believed it was a Strat till I read some of Ron's interviews.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'