The all encompassing bass thread

Started by VOLVO))), May 13, 2011, 10:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

My bass rig:

Kramer Stagemaster Imperial, active (Emgs) (aluminum neck, Thanks, Rhett!)
Westone Thunder 1-A, brass nut, active

Marshall JCM800 2203
Sunn Beta Lead
Peavey 5150II (hehehehe)

Fender showman 2x15
Sunn 610
Sunn Beta 2x12

Boss Blues Driver modded to hell and back
Tone Wicker Muff
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX POG
Behringer BSY600 (so what?)
Boss RC-2

super middy, very gritty, heavy on the lows, light on the highs and loud as balls.

What about you kids? Why do you do it the way you do? Any pros/cons?

Amps that rule for bass, but not guitar? Vice versa? Both? Cmon!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Well it all depends on the day of the week, the average rainfall of the month, and if I find something new and exciting lying around.

Usually it involves, a bass, an amp, one or more speaker cabs. Sometimes a lot more than one ;D

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

What's it you say, pics or it didn't happen, so where's the pictures?

VOLVO)))

I'll snap some. I'll even shoot a video if I get bored. hahaha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Danny G

"Minnie Pearl" 2000 USA P-Bass, tobacco burst/black PG/SD Quarter Pounder/chrome pup & bridge covers.
"Cate Blanchett" 2002 USA P-Bass, faded seafoam green/tortie PG/SD Quarter Pounder/chrome covers

Mid-70's Ampeg SVT
Fender TB-600 hybrid rackmount
Line6 X2 wireless system
Furman power conditioner

Mergilli Innovations replica Dietz 2x15 w/EV-B's
Dietz 2x15 w/Emi Deltas

Boss TU-2 tuner
Fulltone Bass Drive
Phase 90
Snarling Dawgs Whine-0 Wah (works fine for bass, but would rather use a Crybaby)

It works.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

bass sic

My current rig consists of a 79 Pbass, HH Stingray, Ampeg 4pro and an Emperor 2x15 cab. Only pedal I use is an MXR M80. I also use a rack mounted aurel exiter. Pretty standard setup but it suits me and I'm all out of gear funds, so it will be a long while before this changes.

Worthless Willie

Squire Classic Vibe Jazz Bass.  Stock.

MarkBass Little Mark II - 500 watts

Ampeg 4x10 (looking to add 1x15)

Pitch Black tuner
Ibanez Tube King
Bass Big Muff
Homemade Tube Screamer
DD-6 delay
EHX Polyphase
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

eyeprod

epi thunderbird - late model, stock
amps: acoustic 140 and/or Ampeg v4
cabs: ampeg 8x10 or my splawn 4x12, and sometimes the ram 2x12
pedals: tu-2 > modded black russian big muff > modded crybaby > boss bf-3 flanger

my bass rig utilizes a lot of my guitar rig. I use it for recording, and sometimes I get to use it in a band setting
CV - Slender Fungus

mortlock

fender jazz bass. heavily modded.
ampeg 4x10
peavey mark VI head
ampeg b-100r 1x15 combo.

Hemisaurus

Nobody using subs, that's kinda sad :'(

Yesterday, cause I was lazy and didn't take any cabs to practice.

1 WK-5 with custom electronics, Peavey T-Max, Peavey Tri-Flex sub, Fender Bassman 2x15 with I don't know what in 'it.

giantchris

I need to take some pictures eventually

Basses:
Zon Concorde
Cort Curbow 6
Hamer Slammer P bass knockoff with Curtis Novak pup

Amp:
Yorkville XS400H

Cabs:
Peavey 1516
Rare Acoustic Control 2x12

Effects:
Bass Big Muff, ZVex Fuzz Factory, Harden Engineering Screaming Skull, Boss DS-1, Boss ODB-3, Ibanez cheapass delay (TD-7?), Boss BF-3, Digitech Bass MultiChorus, Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah, Digitech Compressor (I usually just use the onboard on the Yorkville), Ernie Ball volume pedal, and a Boss TR-2 tremelo.

Live or with people I mostly just pick a Fuzz and use the ODB-3 with the BF-3 and occasionally the Bass Wah.  I find the Digitech chorus kinda blows.  I want an auto-swell (guyatone SV-2) and a tech-21 bass XXL probably.  I am also considering selling my Concorde bass but every time I am about to I play it.  The neck fits my hand perfectly but its hard to justify having it when I don't play out.

hayseed

Not much but I use(currently):
1998 Fender MIM PBass-Midnite Wine
1981(?) Peavey T40 natural ash

Sunn Coliseum 300 head
Peavey 1510 T-fest Cabinet- 2x15 + 2x10

Ibanez TS10 Tubescreamer
EH Small Stone Nano
Behringer Chromatic Tuner(Boss Knock-off)
Dunlop Crybaby

And sometimes...
ProCo Rat2
EH Bass Big Muff
Digitech Bass Squeeze Compressor

I am contemplating parting with the Peavey cab and picking up 2 Ampeg 4x10's or a Peavey 1516 for easier hauling. Also I may invest in the Bass Tubescreamer(Ibanez). I am selling/trading the Bass Big Muff and BAss Squeeze if anyone is interested.

I had an all Sunn rig for a while but the 2x15 cab i had kinda wore on me. I love 15's but i gotta have some pop to it as well which is why i like the 10's.

"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Burdt

So just to put this out there, for this style of music, is there any sort of trend towards 1x15 or 4x10? I can imagine it being 50/50 in most genres, but where low end is key, would the 15" handle the lower tunings better?

VOLVO)))

Depends on what you want your tone to sound like. Hayseed mentioned he liked 10's for the pop, but I like a more rounded bass tone, so I run a 2x15 as a main bass cab. It's middy and growly, the 10's bump more than growl, and the 12's are a good in-between. They're middy and growly, but hold their own against the 10s.

The theme for this style of music is excessivity. A 1x15 don't cut it! hahaha.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I played 2 2x15"s with the last punk outfit, they liked loud, and played fast.

For other stuff I've been playing with a 2x15" as the top and an 18" as the bottom. I like a good bottom cab as a sustainer, you know, where you hit the string and let the sound coming out your amp keep the note ringing, long past when it would normally die away. I used to use a 4x10" on top, but I kind of started hating it a lot, just didn't do it for me like a 2x15"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 16, 2011, 01:39:00 AM
The theme for this style of music is excessivity. A 1x15 don't cut it! hahaha.
One of my 1x15"s would like a word with you :)

showdown

Basses:
P-bass made from parts, SD Quarterpunder, D-tuner
Fender Jazz, fretless, EMG pickups
Warmoth Thunderbird 8-string, GFS MM pickups
Warmoth/Chandler 8-string, EMG pickups

Amp:
Trace Elliot 4x10" combo
Trace Elliot 4x10" cab

Pedals:
Boss TU-2
EBS Multidrive
Boss SD-1 w/Keeley mods
Modded Crybaby
Danelectro Chicken Salad
MXR Phase 90

zachoff

G&L L2000 passive/series -> Korg Pitchblack -> Loopmaster ABY
A -> SVT -> 810
B -> Earth Superbass (disto channel) -> Emperor 215

Recorded different than this though.  Mixed direct signal though SansAmp BDDI w/ my Ampeg/810 rig instead of going the Earth route.

cusar5

Heavily modded SX Jazz V (Hipshot tuners, Schaller bridge, Kent Armstrong humbucker)
|
v
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner (I've tried just about every pedal tuner, and this one's easily the best)
|
v
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 (900 watts, 4 pounds? yes please)
|
v
A cab. I own an Avatar 2x12 that sounds nice, but I prefer to use 8x10s when I can. The Shuttle through a good fridge sounds amazing.

bloodofkings

76 Ampeg SVT, Ampeg SVT-810E, Ampeg BSE410. Depends on the size of the room as to what cab I bring.

2000 Fender P-Bass, Sunburst, Rosewood fretboard, Bad Ass III bridge, Dimarzio Model P pickups.

2001 Fender P-Bass, Black, Maple fretboard, same pickups and bridge as above.

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner, Way Huge Green Rhino Mk. 2, Morley PBA-2 Bass Wah.
I can't crap for shit.

Worthless Willie

Question:

I run my amp with a 4ohm 4x10 cab, to get 500 watts out of it.  I want to add a 15 to my shit, but need to stay at 4ohm...what impedance should my 15 be?

Do I daisychain another 4ohm off of my existing cab?

Thanks.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

A daisy chain will put it in series, thus making it 2 ohms. You need 2 8 ohm cabs for 4 ohms.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.