The all encompassing bass thread

Started by VOLVO))), May 13, 2011, 10:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worthless Willie

What if I run 2 4ohm cabs out of both speaker jacks?

I'm an impedance clod.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Lumpy

What if I run 2 4ohm cabs out of both speaker jacks?

Still 2 ohms, no good. You have a 4 ohm cab already, so you have no options.

Instead of the 15, what about getting a big cab (8x10) and then using one or the other, depending on size of the room?

Or parlay your stash (trade your current cab) for a couple of 8 ohm cabs, to get a total of 4 ohms.

Gotta to plan ahead when buying your rig, to avoid these kinds of issues. (Expandability)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Worthless Willie

Cool.  Thanks for the tips, y'all.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Hemisaurus

Two or three cheap and nasty ways to do it, but they require soldering.

1) for a 4 ohm 15" cab, wire the passthru connector on the 4x10 so that if a jack is inserted it bypasses one single driver, you now have a 3x10 with the fourth 10" being replaced by the 15"

2) for a 8 ohm cab 15" cab, wire a switch (or the passthru jack again) on the 4x10 so the jack turns off one of the parallel loops of 10"s you now have a 2x10 and a 15"

3) for an 8 ohm cab, you can just rewire the 4x10 for 16 ohms, or fit a switch to make it 16/4 switchable, you can now run the 4x10 @ 16 ohm and the 15" @ 8 ohm for a 5 1/3 ohms, you could add in a third cab at 16 ohms to make a perfect 4 ohms. NB in this scenario twice as much power is sent to the 15 as the 4x10

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mortlock on May 18, 2011, 11:32:56 PM
cool bass pic..

Is it yours? I've always been interested in how those Alumintone pickups sound?

mortlock

no, not mine..i wish it was. i just like the pic..

bass sic

Only thing I don't like about the pic is all the parts are new and clean, cept the body.

VOLVO)))

5.5-6 ohms isn't a bad deal. You won't lose much power, if the 15 if efficient.

All 6xanything cabs have fucked impedance.  8 x 8 = 16, 8 x 8 = 16, 8 x 8 = 16, 16 x 16 = 8, 8 x 16 = 5.3-6 ohms.
                                                              Parallel       Parallel      Parallel       Series        Series     Total ohms

What bass amp is it, Willis? You sure it won't float two ohms?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

one of you nerds explain to my why the finger grab thingy is useful in that position?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

zachoff

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 19, 2011, 12:14:58 PM
one of you nerds explain to my why the finger grab thingy is useful in that position?

Folks used to rest their fingers on it & play with their thumbs.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: zachoff on May 19, 2011, 12:38:57 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on May 19, 2011, 12:14:58 PM

Folks used to rest their fingers on it & play with their thumbs.

Dead technology? Holy shit, I'm putting an 8-track player on my bass.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 19, 2011, 12:11:15 PM
5.5-6 ohms isn't a bad deal. You won't lose much power, if the 15 if efficient.

What bass amp is it, Willis? You sure it won't float two ohms?
I'm assuming it's his Little Mark II, they're not 2 ohm capable AFAIK, and I don't know how forgiving they would be if you went below minimum impedance.

One thing for sure, I'm not bloody fixing it ;)

VOLVO)))

Hmmm... Upgrade to two 8 ohm cabs... Or reload the 4x10. Avatar has a SICK deal on some celestion bass drivers...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 19, 2011, 10:44:09 PM
Hmmm... Upgrade to two 8 ohm cabs... Or reload the 4x10. Avatar has a SICK deal on some celestion bass drivers...
Surely that's too tame? he should by another 4 ohm 4x10, rewire it for 16 ohms as well, add the 8 ohm bass cab, and play through all of them. :)

grimniggzy

If you want to run 2 (4 ohm) cabs but don't have a head that goes down to 2 ohms, just use another head and slave it from the first one.

mortlock

Pissy

You could make a series speaker cable to get up to 8 ohms. Pretty simple, but if you forget the to bring the cable to the gig, you're kinda screwed.
Vinyls.   deal.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: grimniggzy on May 20, 2011, 12:56:55 PM
If you want to run 2 (4 ohm) cabs but don't have a head that goes down to 2 ohms, just use another head and slave it from the first one.
I'd say this is probably the easiest way, if you don't have another head grab a power amp from somewhere, or buy one, dollar to watts nowadays is a pretty good ratio with power amps :)