Quaotable One Liners that hit the collective consciousness

Started by peoplething, May 14, 2011, 08:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peoplething

so, I'm watching Cannonball Run and was reminded about one liners from this movie, as well as tons of other from that era. The one liners that, essentially, you could throw out in conversation and helped to identify with whoever you were talking with, even folks you've never met before. Once more, these one liner's or gags seem to span beyond the one or two weeks after the movie run ended, some lasting decades.

I haven't seen many of the 'superbads' or 'hangovers', but it doesn't seem like there's movies anymore that have the broad impact like some of the older stuff. From what I have seen, contemporary movies have a few zingers that are respectable, but pale in comparison to films like Caddy Shack, Stripes, Animal House, etc. IMO, films of that ilk contained so many one liners, you have to watch the movie 6 times to really catch them all.

My question is, does anybody make these kinds of movies anymore? And if so, what are they?

or am I just really, really, really out of touch?
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

The Shocker

Don't worry about being out of touch scrote.

*That's got a movie reference in there from one of the most underrated comedies ever.

Jor el

16 Candles has some good shit in it.

I hear what you're sayin'.
I can't think of anything recent that sticks.

What really pisses me off is when they try to create catch phrases. I LOVE "Tommy Boy", but having Farley say "schnikies" over & over was some bullshit.
What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

peoplething

you're so cute

but yeah, for recent cultural phrase movies there seems to be a void. at the very least, not much that lasts beyond two weeks.

maybe it's over saturation, maybe it's i-thingy, maybe its just the way it works now.

it's kinda a bummer.

do you have diabetes?

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

whoshotthefrog

"That boy's about as sharp as a bag full of wet mice." - Foghorn Leghorn
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

Jor el

"220, 221 - Whatever it takes"

Absolutely nothing memorable aboot Mr Mom, with the exception of that one line.
That's just bizarre.
What Would Scooby Do ?

lowdaddy

jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

The Shocker

juggernaut

Quote from: Jor el on May 15, 2011, 09:34:15 PM

"220, 221 - Whatever it takes"

Absolutely nothing memorable aboot Mr Mom, with the exception of that one line.
That's just bizarre.

I disagree.

Jack Butler: You wanna beer?
Ron Richardson: It's 7 o'clock in the morning.
Jack Butler: Scotch?

grimniggzy

160 Greatest Arnold Schwarzenegger Quotes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw

The King of the Action Packed One Liners

Isabellacat

Quote from: peoplething on May 14, 2011, 08:17:07 PM
so, I'm watching Cannonball Run and was reminded about one liners from this movie, as well as tons of other from that era. The one liners that, essentially, you could throw out in conversation and helped to identify with whoever you were talking with, even folks you've never met before. Once more, these one liner's or gags seem to span beyond the one or two weeks after the movie run ended, some lasting decades.

I haven't seen many of the 'superbads' or 'hangovers', but it doesn't seem like there's movies anymore that have the broad impact like some of the older stuff. From what I have seen, contemporary movies have a few zingers that are respectable, but pale in comparison to films like Caddy Shack, Stripes, Animal House, etc. IMO, films of that ilk contained so many one liners, you have to watch the movie 6 times to really catch them all.

My question is, does anybody make these kinds of movies anymore? And if so, what are they?

or am I just really, really, really out of touch?

I really love those early 80s comedies.especially that one with Mark Blankfield (the guy who played the drugged out pharmicist on Fridays) ,the one from 1982 called Jekyll and Hyde...Together Again,which is pretty much a cocaine glorification film. Quote:

" Would a proctologist please report to the emergency room...there's an asshole waiting."