The "I can't believe I didn't know that" thread

Started by Danny G, May 16, 2011, 11:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

Post revelatory gear knowledge that somehow slipped under your radar.

I didn't realize I could run TWO 4-ohm cabs with my SVT.

Holy shit. Had I known that, when I did the 2-amp/3 2x15 cab thing at Antone's few weeks back I could have been running ALL THREE DIETZ 2x15's!!!! Dammit. Live and learn. Either way, thank you Curt from Dixie Witch for providing me with that invaluable piece of gear lore that I can't believe I didn't know til now.

Crazy.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

I didn't know what a fucking string winder was until two weeks ago. I work on guitars for a living. /wrists.

I was sitting on my bench winding a set of fresh strings onto one of my pal's Les Pauls, my business partner tossed me something from across the shop "Got you a present!"

I looked at it, and was like "the fuck is this?!" Then I realized what it was.

I'm a dumbfuck.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

A bit of even more rare, and esoteric knowledge: there are electric string winders, as well.

Fuckin' technology, man.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

LogicalFrank

For a while you could get electric string winders w/ a tuner built in. Your guitar tech could be entirely replaced by one small piece of gear.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

WHAT?

I'm going to letter bomb whoever made that. Dickhead.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

zachoff

I had no idea you could do a DI out w/ the second channel on an SVT until a few months back.  I'd still rather mic though.

I also had no idea how to run a slave until I got my Earth a couple months ago.  It was fun for a practice, but I prefer the Ampeg tone for sure.

Hemisaurus

Metal and Beer

Thread is delivering, with promise of further deliverance to come
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 16, 2011, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: Danny G on May 16, 2011, 11:51:35 AM
I didn't realize I could run TWO 4-ohm cabs with my SVT.

See they have these things called manuals, full of helpful tips, even if you get your gear used it's in your best interest to track a manual down.

I'm constantly amazed by the amount of money people lay out on gear, and then don't even bother to find out what they're doing is heading it for a major repair (not that this is this case).

You probably don't get a manual when you buy a used 70's amp (that's what Danny has).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

I'm amazed when people don't know how to use a standby switch. I know a guy who is a 'sound man' and a guitar player, who is unclear on the concept ("how come this amp's not on?")

Also, don't unplug/plug in pedals, while hooked up to a live amp. Come on now.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus