what gauge guitar strings do you use, and what tuning?

Started by justinhedrick, May 20, 2011, 03:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

How do you like the zero fret on the Vigier? I really like the tone...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

11-52 for dropped C

11-48 for D standard

Diggin' on the Dean Markley Blue Steels lately.
Livin' The Life.

I,Galactus

D'Addario EXL155 Blues/Jazz/Rock 11-49 --> Drop D
D'Addario EXL110-7 Regular Light 7-String 10-59 --> B Std

In looking up gauges I found out that there's a EXL155W set with a would third.  May have to investigate.  I don't bend a lot, but I tried a wound third once and liked it a lot.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

tossom

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 01, 2011, 11:13:43 PM
How do you like the zero fret on the Vigier? I really like the tone...

It's a vigier excalibur ultra, fantastic guitar.  The zero fret took a bit of getting used to certainly, maybe thats the reason I have never fallen in love with this guitar.  It almost sounds too good, such a clinical sounding guitar!  Not sure why, but have never tried heavy strings on this - too lazy to set it up for anything different if I guess... ;D
"Beige rock"

Isabellacat

i use .009s, especially Ernie Ball Super Slinky's my favorite brand.

i tune mostly to Standard E or (E flat) and drop D..

my favorite tuning is this tho:

Gb Gb Db Gb Db Gb

grimniggzy

My brother got me addicted to these. They feel crazy cool and sound damn good IMO.

edit: I'm usually a standard & D guy when it comes to playing guitar.
2000 MIM Stratocaster in Violet

Quote from: isabellacat on June 22, 2011, 04:13:35 AM
i use .009s, especially Ernie Ball Super Slinky's my favorite brand.

i tune mostly to Standard E or (E flat) and drop D..

my favorite tuning is this tho:

Gb Gb Db Gb Db Gb

black_out

By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Instant Dan

E standard-D standard: 10-52

C sharp/drop B: 11-52,54

C standard: 12-54,56

Strings are one of those things where I actually don't hear that much of a difference between brands. I usually stick with ErnieBall strings for heavier gauges but I also use Dean Markley's. 10-52 is a toss up (GHS, Dean Markley, Ernieball).

showdown

E standard and drop D tunings: Ernie Ball 11-54 on Gibson scale, 10-46 on Fender scale

Sam Hain

tombhex

i'm almost always in drop b with my guitars. my favorite strings are ghs progressives with a wound 3rd - 12-52.

i keep my basses in different tunings. my ray35 is in CGCFA with ghs progressives 5 string 45-131, 4 string is in standard with DR hi-beams.

VOLVO)))

Cobalt 52-11s on the Tele.  Standard

Daddario XL 56-11, E standard on my Guild.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

D'addario XL's with wound 3rd if Jake doesn't break the 3rd...

VOLVO)))

Ive broken every wound G fresh out of the pack. It's bullshit.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

The wound is more for rhythm playing, not wanking.

VOLVO)))

Um, i bend full chords, bitch! Dont slight me like that.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Goddamn you all play pussy strings on fanny instruments.

Strings for thing I'm putting together currently:

Only acoustic tuned to C0 is trve. Valve for scale, because bunches of you won't know how big UK coins are.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Look at those tunings, everyone here plays bass.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

I,Galactus

^ what kind of lappy is that?  She's a beaut! 
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RacerX

Thanks!

That's Pearl. She's a Chandler.

http://www.chandlerguitars.com/studio6.html
Livin' The Life.

everdrone

I have a bit of tendonitis in my fingers, so for my 50+ recordings etc I use 8 gauge strings and tune to c#.  lots of buzz which detracts from tone but it is worth it for my application.  I know Iommi did that with 9 gauge but he has super special custom guitars... ;)

jibberish

i use those too most often. i keep trying all kinds of other brands and offbrands, but i go back to these.
i play in (yawn) good old std e tuning on a (yawn) good old stock 90's studio LP.  these last ones i got a couple weeks ago are in different packaging now. they are in an opaque mylar pkg or w/e. maybe it helps with moisture resistance when you spill beer into the road case with th estrings. idk...

also, i can bend the hell out of them, a lot, before they break lol.

i have tried fender steel strings that sound kind of cool, but meh....
i absolutely will not use flatwounds.<-imo special purpose strings that are just too dull for the wide range of music i play

eoin_not_ian

Guitar EB Not Even Slinkys, tuned to D standard/Drop C/Drop A/whatever my band is writing in.

Basses: Rotosound Steels unless  I find something cheaper, apart from on my five string I have DR DDT 135-55 (Tuned A-F) - an expensive 'try and see if they work' experiment. Fairly good but not sure I can justify spending £10 more per string set over the long term, even if they sound great. Frankly I don't see much of the special 'treatment' the strings receive to make them better for lower register tuning other than their size. Also 135 is pretty small for a 'B' string considering the E string is a 115.

If in doubt I just go Precision bass with Rotosound 50-110 for anything from standard to drop C.