What is the most useful feature on your amp?

Started by Hemisaurus, May 22, 2011, 12:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Curiousity as part tech, part player. Is it the brite switch, or the pull bass boost? Is it the two channels, the four input jacks, the slave output. Feel free to say it's because you can fit six beers along the top of it, or that it fits just dandy in the trunk of your Fiero.

VOLVO)))

The Betas = both input
JCM800 = 6 Knobs
Concert Lead = Boost
Sonaro = 3 knobs
5150II = door stop
VTM60 = dipswitches, set bias
VTM120 = two VTM60s

All of them don't shock the fuck out of me anymore?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

My current head, it's the 4 button footswitch. It's a Fender Stage 100. I can switch channels, boost gain, turn reverb on/off and DSP effects on/off. I bought this head because I got tired of lugging around a tube head and a bagful of pedals. It simplifies my life as far a jamming goes.
Meh :/

eyeprod

on my v4, it's the eq knobs, followed by the external master input, them the ohm switch which goes down to 2. handy. On the concert lead, I'd also say the boost switch. The acoustic 140, it just works with no special features and you can drop it with no problems. That in itself is useful
CV - Slender Fungus

bloodofkings

I can't crap for shit.

johnny problem

I really enjoy the Bright Switch on my amp.  Although I wish it was available on the footswitch as well.  I also enjoy the fact I can switch it down to a 4 ohm load, depending on the type of cab I'd like to run with my combo.

chille01

I like the "bridge both channels with a short patch cable" feature on my Traynor YBA-1. It's a pretty simple amp, not much more to it. Same with my Silverface bassman. Plug and play for the most part. Any radical effects and such come from the pedal board, and are used sparingly.

beardofcthulhu

On my VTM60, it's set it and forget it.  Plug in and destroy all fucking day long.  Channels? HA!
Peace through volume.

mortlock

well it would be a stand by switch, if it had one..

spookstrickland

What ever knob allows me to turn off the most treble is my fave.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Quote from: spookstrickland on May 22, 2011, 10:15:55 PM
That's called the tone knob Leroy, you'll find it on your instrument ;)

Volume

It doesn't have lots of features really. The fx loop is nice, but I seldom use it, I only put a reverb pedal there sometimes when recording. The same with the fac control, 95% of the time it's on the first click. The MV would be nice if I had a two-amp setup and I could turn up the drive and run the other one fairly clean. But since I like to use a many different fuzz and drive boxes (and I like the way they sound through a fairly clean amp) I always have the master on full and set the volume with the drive.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 22, 2011, 10:41:13 PM

That one is already rolled down and I still need an extra treble knob on the amp to turn down ;D
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Fuhgawz

The best feature on my amp (OR120) is the simplicity. Just set the gain, treble and bass knobs to taste and it always sounds good! No need to go fiddle with 20+ knobs.

liquidsmoke

Laney GH50. For full on metal- the second gain stage knob which I have all the way up along with the other gain knob.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: spookstrickland on May 23, 2011, 03:56:08 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 22, 2011, 10:41:13 PM
That one is already rolled down and I still need an extra treble knob on the amp to turn down ;D
Now that John the Hermit is doing guitar duties for us, it's nice that I don't need to pretend to be a guitar as well anymore. What you need is a crossover, but you only use the low pass side of it, or a decent low pass shelving filter with a good 16-24dB cutoff. I have a little jumper cable on the back of my T-Max that feeds the low out of the crossover into the power amp, so all that nasty HF stuff is just thrown away. I have it rolled all the way down to 300Hz now ;D

zachoff

The tone.  Ha.  Seriously though... old SVT+Svetlana powers+original Magnavox pres = awesome toanz.  I also love that through the 810 I only have to turn it to 10:00 to be loud.  I also love the multiple, bridgable, inputs.

Jake

poop.

Danny G

The (recently known to me) fact that I can run TWO 4 ohm cabs with my SVT.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

cusar5

The semi-parametric mid on my Shuttle 9.0 is its best feature. It enables me to adjust almost any bass to have the mid response that I like.

Lumpy

The flexible Mids EQ on an SVT (toggle switch to target specific mid frequencies, and a knob to boost or cut them).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

I'm sure this isn't a popular belief held here, but my VOLUME control is it's most useful feature. Nothing can ruin EVERYTHING like being way too fucking loud. Also the on/off switch. Turning the amp off and playing acoustic is very important to developing dynamics. 

dogfood

it's versatile.  Great great clean channel, very good od channel, and pretty good distortion channel.  It just happens to be one of those amps where if you set everything to 10 you ain't gonna like it.  You can dial almost anything in if your ears work and it takes pedals well. 
Problem solving whiskey!

clockwork green

On my Matamp's...it's the fact that the tone knobs seem to disappear when they're on 10.  Turn the treble on 8 and it's sharp, turn it on 10 and it fades into beautiful, natural tone.  If I couldn't pick them it would be mixing the gain and boost knobs since I always run the volume on 10 and the eq on 10...mess with this balance gives me an absurd amount of control in my tone.  

I have a lot of amps but I wish they all had the feature that my Vox Night Train has...when you turn it on "Tight" mode it defeats all of the eq knobs so you can only adjust gain and volume...that tone is pretty fucking impressive.  I really just want a Matamp with maybe gain and boost...everything is set and hardwired.  There is something magical about amps with as few knobs as possible.  My '57 Fender Harvard only has 2 knobs, my modified Champ only has 1 and they sound so direct and alive. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"