Main Menu

My Tone

Started by Hemisaurus, May 27, 2011, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

johnny problem

Definitely my playing technique, because my tones sucks. 

justinhedrick

i'd say everything plays into how shitty i sound!  ;D

Stonergrunge

That's it: entry level guitar > boutique pedals > decent SS amp: unsual but effective.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

RacerX

It's mostly my schlong. Which choice is that?
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Playing technique with your intrument?

Fuhgawz

Option D: All of the above.

Metal and Beer

I'd say mostly technique that is somewhat at the mercy and will of the tools.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

justJon

I have to choose A&B.

2-ply heads, big drums, big sticks, wood tips, hit hard.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

yesca

what about all of them? maybe not so much on the playing technique as i play pretty sloppy but you could achieve the sound im going for with the right guitar/amp/fx.

Worthless Willie

Quote from: Metal Dave on May 27, 2011, 04:38:39 PM
I'd say mostly technique that is somewhat at the mercy and will of the tools.

What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Hemisaurus

No all of the above, as that translates as I have no mind, you pick for me hence no option D (except perhaps an A&B option for the drummers).

Kudos to the people who admit their tone comes from their gear, a Rogue guitar and First Act amp to those that think it's in their fingers. ;D

I especially dug the guitargeek rig picture.

Baltar

"Kudos to the people who admit their tone comes from their gear, a Rogue guitar and First Act amp to those that think it's in their fingers."

Full on.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Worthless Willie

Eh, I've seen people with amazing gear make it sound like complete horseshit.  I've also heard some great tones come from shit gear.

If you can't play, you can't play.  No matter how awesome your gear is.

So, yeah, a lot of tone come from your hands.

But, not all of it. Of course good gear helps.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Ranbat

I pretty much sound the same through any piece of gear I've ever owned. Solid State or Tube. Depends on your definition of tone I guess. While a Big Muff gives you a different SOUND than a Tube Screamer, the tone remains the same to me.
Meh :/

peyotepeddler

Quote from: Worthless Willie on May 29, 2011, 11:39:45 PM
Eh, I've seen people with amazing gear make it sound like complete horseshit.  I've also heard some great tones come from shit gear.

If you can't play, you can't play.  No matter how awesome your gear is.

So, yeah, a lot of tone come from your hands.

But, not all of it. Of course good gear helps.

i don't think tone comes from the hands, more like technique

i have a little danelectro honeytone, and while i still play the same, it does not match a muff into a svt, apples and oranges, so my technique is the same, tone..............not so much

i'm very drunk and thats all i have to add at the moment, cheers brothers and sisters!

Fuhgawz

Quote from: Ranbat on May 30, 2011, 01:01:11 AM
I pretty much sound the same through any piece of gear I've ever owned... While a Big Muff gives you a different SOUND than a Tube Screamer.

???

giantchris

On bass if you play fingerstyle a HUGE amount of your tone comes from your fingers.

clockwork green

Of course tone is in the fingers...how do you grab your credit card out of your wallet. There are elements that always sound like me but there are elements that are gear dependent. I not only sound different on a Tele compared to a Lester but I also play them differently which compounds the difference.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

ROWDYBEER

My guitar tone comes from a combination of my bass player and drummer. Sounds like me without them and sounds good but we mesh and that makes for a killer tone in my opinion. But in the end I always sound the same. So must be my fingering technique.

Ranbat

Quote from: Fuhgawz on May 30, 2011, 04:09:56 AM
Quote from: Ranbat on May 30, 2011, 01:01:11 AM
I pretty much sound the same through any piece of gear I've ever owned... While a Big Muff gives you a different SOUND than a Tube Screamer.

???

I typed toned the same and it made even less sense. What I was trying to convey in my drunkeness was that, to me tone is how you play. Your vibrato, the way you mute, do you tend to down pick everything or alternate pick. What chord forms and positions do you usually play? So, while my Big Muff SOUNDS different than my Tube Screamer my tone is pretty much the same. Thinking it's all in the gear is why many will spend thousands on signature guitars and amps, only to find out they still don't have the tone of Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page.

Metal and Beer

Edited for removal of short-sighted content   ;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Ranbat

Nah dude, you ain't wrong. There are no rules. Whatever you think is tone, IS tone!

mortlock

Quote from: Fuhgawz on May 27, 2011, 03:45:54 PM
Option D: All of the above.
very true..its a combination of all that and more really..

Jake

I did not vote because "deep inside my butthole" was not an option.
poop.